Look what the wind has done to my awning. (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
P1000642.JPG

Somehow the wind has lifted up and bent the top part of the casing.
I tried to climb up a ladder with a cable tie in the night but when it blew the thing out of my hand I decided that it was probably buggered and there was no point in buggering me too.
Has it happened to anyone else, its a Fiamma F65s, only had it on since September and its probably been used 6 to 8 times.
Any ideas on whether it can be repaired?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
The supplier has been very good and replied to me quickly. They think its beyond economic repair from a Fiamma point of view, and not covered in any warranty.
They suggest a local bodyshop could attempt to reshape it, or look whether my motor insurance covers storm damage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Had the same awning on a PVC which got destroyed beyond repair while in Slovenia, left it out and went on a bike ride, while out they had the mother of thunderstorms which lasted about an hour, even though i managed to wind it back into the casing i had to break stuff off it to get it in then cable tie it up for the remainder of the holiday (the arms were twisted and joints broken in the mechanism canvas ripped - a right fkin mess) looking at yours it may be salvagable, if you cant repair the casing surely you could get it replaced as all the internals should still be ok.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
only had it on since September
The supplier has been very good and replied to me quickly. They think its beyond economic repair from a Fiamma point of view, and not covered in any warranty.
I'd have thought you have a claim under Consumer Rights Act? - contact Citizens Advice website, your local bureau, or helpline 03454 040506

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thats not good. ..where are you. My better half is on top of a hill in Durham in our van and the wind was horrendous last night. Our awning has been in for a while now. Had you pegged the feet down and used a storm strap?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it was me and I'm glad it's not I would take it off and strip it down to the case and either try myself to straighten it with as has been suggested timber and G clamps, or ask a body shop/metal workers to try it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thats not good. ..where are you. My better half is on top of a hill in Durham in our van and the wind was horrendous last night. Our awning has been in for a while now. Had you pegged the feet down and used a storm strap?
It was closed at the time.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Er, when you change it, can I have your old one? :) I run a small charity that repairs broken awnings, and gives them to motorhomers of limited means.....:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If your Insurance doesn't cover it, i'd suggest you have the wrong insurance
If they claim act of God, sue Church of England

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Despite your impression the supplier has been "good" & their prompt response - it's pretty much the standard first reply of any business to deny any claim against them.

As others have advised, I would get back to them to ask them to reconsider, perhaps escalate up their chain of authority, emphasising the awning wasn't deployed and this shouldn't have happened.
Keep it friendly & reasonable.

If the claim is rejected again - I would contact the CEO of Fiamma [I'm sure @ShiftZZ can magic up the details?].
If nothing else, it tells them that you're not going away - and it might be 'economic' to resolve the issue.

Only after this would I consider going down the "legal" route of consumer protection, not fit for purpose or small claims court.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
when could I collect cheers
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
There is a waiting list for repaired units, however, I will add your name to the list. At the moment, we are working on a 4 mtr model for a fat git called Badknee, and trying to repair a punctured blow up awning for Dux-Deluxe. (y)

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Ok thanks for advice.
Just been to screwfix for the biggest cable ties they have and hope to try to secure it when the wind dies as I don't fancy going anywhere with it like that.
The casing is flimsy but I'm amazed that its gone like that.
Part of the roof has come off the hen hut and my neighbours fence is down and another has lost some slates. Windy Pennine weather.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I might question why do they show it as a spare part if it's not worth replacing, it doesn't look difficult, end cap off and slide it in would be my guess.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Spares_Search/F65S_Polar_White_sizes_260_to_400cm_2015

My other general observation is that it looks a bit "layed back" on the roof and could be more vulnerable to wind getting in so is there a recommended fitting angle/position.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I might question why do they show it as a spare part
Martin

If the bent piece is the curved ali extrusion I just can't imagine wind bending it like that. There's more to this. Maybe fitted under tension or something has hit it.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
It was fitted using the Fiamma parts that are designed to fit into the Fiat van's roof. Unfortunately the supplier of the awning and the person fitting it are not the same people.
If the bent piece is the curved ali extrusion I just can't imagine wind bending it like that. There's more to this. Maybe fitted under tension or something has hit it.
I don't think anything has hit it, I can't see any mark or any debris near by.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't think anything has hit it, I can't see any mark or any debris near by.

Beats me then. If slide it out you'll soon feel how strong it is, though that then makes you responsible.

If the end caps were out of line, tightened up, I can picture that creating a pressure on one edge that would cause it to "ping" up and just pulling an end cap would let it drop back.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Goodness, that happened when it was closed !! Can't be right, no way. Take it back, complain etc.etc.
I'm a bit lost on who to complain to
Fiamma
The Supplier
The Fitter
All Three
I suppose trying to understand how it happened might be helpful but its too windy to do much investigation at the moment.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Got one in Cheshire, supposed to be secret but I know where it is.

The brown signs on the surrounding roads are a bit of a giveaway there:)

My other general observation is that it looks a bit "layed back" on the roof and could be more vulnerable to wind getting in so is there a recommended fitting angle/position.

I think you may have hit upon the manufacturer's escape clause - they'll probably quote some small print about angles and blame the fitter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back