Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Allan retires in April so we're planning an extended European tour. I've done lots of research regarding things to pack, vehicle insurance, etc, etc but there are a couple of things I'm stuck on and would like your experience and advice please.

1. Where can I get personal travel insurance for extended stays? Most cover up to 90 days but we could be away 6-12 months before we need to come back for the mot?

2. What books/maps would you recommend? I dont have the French Aires, stellplatz, Spain & Portugal Aires, French passion and Italian one. We do have a German and French road map, brilliant sat nav with all camper contacts listed.

3. What's the go box thingy that you need, is it for Austria or Switzerland and are there any other permit things I need to be aware of?

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@The Dude We're off to Scotland in June then got the ferry booked as seeing Andre Rieu in Maastrict early July so thinking we'd stay in Europe until we get bored. At the latest need to get back for the mot in June 2018. It's so exciting planning and preparing!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
@The Dude We're off to Scotland in June then got the ferry booked as seeing Andre Rieu in Maastrict early July so thinking we'd stay in Europe until we get bored. At the latest need to get back for the mot in June 2018. It's so exciting planning and preparing!
Hoping to start another 2 month tour in September (in the new van!). Not sure where yet but if I've anything to do with it we'll be heading for the Med. May even get to meet up again. Good luck with everything.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think this has been discussed before and it's very difficult to get cover, do a search in top right... also your Motorhome insurance, check that it covers you for so long away, some may consider that long full timing....

And of course your home will not be covered for that long away from it if empty....

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Our health insurance for travel is an annual policy but as you say is restricted to so many days overall, and also so many days for one single journey. Clearly their standard policy is based on them maximising their profit by minimising risk. It does say if we need to extend contact them. I have no doubt if we did ask for the cost for extending in any of the restricted areas, particularly if extending both areas, would lead to an additional fee.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Loren I have the stellplatz book you can borrow. I bought it last year and never went. Ask me for it when I see you in summer x

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I think this has been discussed before and it's very difficult to get cover, do a search in top right... also your Motorhome insurance, check that it covers you for so long away, some may consider that long full timing....

And of course your home will not be covered for that long away from it if empty....
Hi, thanks for he post. I have searched and couldn't find an answer so thought I'd ask just to be sure :-(
We are going to insure the bus as full timers to make sure we are covered because even if we come back from Europe we still intend to travel throughout the uk. Our house is fine as we haven't been successful at relocating our 28 year old son yet so he and his girlfriend will be living there and our daughter lives up the road and will be checking in on him haha.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Loren I have the stellplatz book you can borrow. I bought it last year and never went. Ask me for it when I see you in summer x
Thank you. Are you at Chester? If not no worries as our trip is on the back of the Scotland rallies.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We took out backpackers insurance, which covered our initial first leg of 8 months. Do check the small print about theft from vehicles though. Also unoccupied house insurance via towergate.
Best thing I took was a very comprehensive tool box, I certainly did not want to be ending up at some euro dealer to fix a leaky water pipe. The more you can fix yourself on the road the better!

I used park4night but mainly campercontact and a hard copy of camperstops.
Also chat to people and other MH'ers who are usually happy to pass on info.
Good luck with your trip.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
LV do a 12 month single trip policy. :) Bob

Sorry just checked up to 64 years old, :cry: I best make the most of it. :LOL: