Long terming in cabins or chalets? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Being motor homeless at the time, we rented an apartment for 10 weeks last winter near Estepona. We are familiar with this area, and have friends there.
A very nice apartment, overlooking the sea, and facing the sunrise. Very nice, but, we got a bit fed up with returning to the same place/area, day after day.
The noises from other apartment users, were a constant pain. Not very loud noises, but the toilet flushing, the furniture movements, and the closing of doors noise got on our nerves.
What would have been a gentle run to a town a couple of hours away, by MH, turned out to be a bit of a tiring day driving there and back and spending most of the day looking around.
When we were in Portugal and Spain the previous year for 18 weeks, it was much more pleasurable. A day or two here, two weeks there, or whatever. We pulled up at a remote parking place in inland PT, by the side of a lake, and the smell of eucalyptus trees was amazing! So, we stayed for 3 days there. Can't do they with a car and apartment.
I agree it's each to their own, but the freedom to wander, or not, as you please, is the attraction of a motorhome for us.
Plus we have grown to detest airports, the endless queues, limited baggage allowances, etc, and flying with little legroom, at an ungodly hour only aeroplanes fly. As opposed to the more relaxed travel when you want, in a MoHo. With more baggage allowance, more legroom, and the knowledge of who has slept in the bed and used the loo previously.

Give me the wheels anyway.

Craig

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any thoughts?

Snowbird is doing this right now, in the few days someone else has said the same thing. We hired a flat in Benidorm a couple of years ago, it worked well, warm and snug and no worry about gas consumption.

The big problem, especially with a dog, is carrying everything you need for a long stay.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Perhaps your answer could be a vw size camper you can use as a car (almost) and you can rent chalets as and when you see them and have the occasional camping trip in between in the van.
Answer to "which set up "is only with the persons needs at the time and over the years these can change with us all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks.some great suggestions.
Where we are at with our thinking is a series of cabins or chalets or Airbnbs would be exhausting and unsettling over the long term and most likely too expensive finally.
A caravan would most likely suit us better but having invested a year in learning to drive my Hymer (solo driver) it seems silly to throw that away.
We've decided to give it another year and to rent a car when we feel frustrated at not being able to sight see localy from campsites.
Also it would be very hard to give up Aires.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks I'd love to stay on here regardless !
A few points...
I got the 25e price from looking at one Benidorm campsite.
I would look for cabins with cooking facilities. All the ones we have seen in eastern europe and italy had them.
We have wild camped a lot but prefer sites for showers etc. Our fridge developed a leak if run on LPG which forced us to campsites the last two months which is where we observed all these cabins. Many do sllow dogs and we would do our research carefully first.
I think we would use Airbnbs to see cities and big towns.
I agree losing Aires would be a big drag but there are ample compensations

Have a look at The Travel Club site,,,it used to be Camping Cheque,,,They do a prepaid card system for renting Chalets etc throughout Europe,,BUSBY,,,

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Yeh tidy
Trouble is the width could still be an issue on narrow roads
..when going around towns
I know what you mean. People worry about the narrow lanes here (Cornwall) but I think towns are much worse - streets narrowed by parked cars; car doors opening unexpectedly; people & dogs suddenly appearing from nowhere - and so much worse if the street's very narrow to start with! (I'd rather be scratched by a hedge than by a building...)
Sounds as though you've come to a decision, well done (y) Hope you have another fantastic year :D

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I would be interested in these little vw size campers in the future perhaps with attendant awning or tent for overspill but would need to be convinced they were suitable for day trips all over. Maybe I'll rent one and seek out narrow spots!

Reactions: CWH
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Or have you thought of a fifth wheel? I'm not talking about a big one, the ones that are made in Wales are quite stunning. A lot easier to tow than a caravan, very easy to reverse, drop it an you have a nice UK size pick up to tour around in.

Craig

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A lot easier to move on if you don't like somewhere with a m/h . I envisage us wandering around in ours when we retire then going down the renting an appartment route when we are past travelling all the time as others have said if you are only going to move occasionally a caravan would make more sense.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not sure why you need to confine yourself to campsite chalets or sheds? There are plenty of apartments and self catering units available cheaply especially in winter and in less touristy places :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
WE hired a nice 2 bed apartment in Mojacar Playa last February from a Belgian fella, 400 euro's for the month including all bills except Wifi, that was 25 euros extra, bargain.!

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
sounds a good idea, as you say the costs would work out the same nearly, No darn MOT's , MH insurance or TAX, ....................

Surely they still need MOT, insurance, tax etc for a car?

Reasons would be pure and simply flexibility of having a car and being able to buzz around and explore the area when camped . And not having the running and maintenance cost of the moho.
................................ around £800 in repairs after each 6 months touring (wing mirrors cracked, nearly all the wretched blinds broken, fridge leaking gas needing servicing bla bla). This would mean we could keep travelling within our pension without the expensive moho overheads.
Any thoughts?

My car has cost me nearly that for repairs etc this year already.

I can't see that running a car instead of a motorhome will actually save much money, especially when the fact that cars depreciate a darn sight quicker is taken into account.

Plus I would never pay an average of £25 a night, my limit is £15 and most times I pay a lot less.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Normally we paid around £15 or less
We had an expensive run in france during the ski season plus Riviera area is through the roof!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think the first year of full timing is expensive as you treat it like a hoiliday after a while you realise that traveling is the drain on your finances and tend to stay longer at economical spots
not done it but have heard this from several ft'ers

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Surely the whole thing about buying a motor home is the 100% flexibility of moving exploring and NOT staying in the same place for long .

On site accommodation is an entirely different thing surely ??

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We prefer campsites to aires once we've arrived in an area we want to stay. Average winter prices have been between 17 and 22. The extra on the chalets would be offset by the overall saving on not having a moho.
Benidorm is the most expensive place we have stayed at long term, and the pitch cost there is currently 14€ a night..
I would want a gold plated pitch for 25€ a night !!!!!!!!!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We had a month in a hotel in Benidorm in Feb/March, full board for 28 nights including transfers , worked out at £31 per night for the two of us, not bad.
Last time in Benidorm for us though.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I think it depends on how much of a "nomad" you are, were all differant, good on you for thinking outside of the (four wheeled) box. personly Im too much of a wonderer to give up my mobil home and to much of gumpy bugger to stay in hotels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back