long term hook up (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Off to Spain for a month and will be stopping on a site for 10 days during his trip. I have never spent more than 48 hrs on a site before so my question to funsters does one leave the van hooked up to the mains 24/7 or is it good practice to switch off and 'rest' the system during that time? As always thanks to all in anticipation.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Some even 24/7/365 with no ill effects:xeek:
(Based on a fully functioning system)
Over charging of leisure battery (bad egg smell s)is a thing to be aware of, not alarmed by,
you can switch off the charger independently if required in most cases, leaving fridge ect to run on 240v, saving gas if you've that option

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Long term hook up will be determined by which electrobloc is fitted and which make and type of batteries you have. Judging by sylvesters avatar I would think that the Electrobloc is a Sargent which I believe can be switched off.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I've seen a few threads about this... which make me wonder...

Has anybody ever come across any printed guidance in their owner operating manual?.. regarding do's and don'ts .... I've looked at mine and it says nothing eitherway...

One would have thought it might "if" there was any detriment either way!..

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Felton I think most manufacturers really on the phrase " not constructed for full time us" which wI'll be hidden in the manual, either the van or ancillarys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've left every caravan and motorhome I've owned over the past 40 years permanently on hook-up. Early chargers never exceeded 13.8v (lead-acid float voltage) and modern chargers settle at that voltage once they're happy that the battery is fully charged. "not constructed for full-time use" has nothing to do with electrical integrity but a lot to do with fixtures & fittings subject to physical wear and tear. A lead acid battery is best looked after, once fully charged, by being permanently connected to a 13.8v supply.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Our mains chargers are set to 13.80V, which almost all batteries will accept continuously. The solar panel controllers are cycling at slightly higher levels, so as the batteries are pretty much fully charged, it is all just ticking over.

We have had stuff switched on year-round with no issues, but it does depend on the quality of the fitted equipment.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back