Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Good evening funsters,
Not wishing to go too much into my finances :ROFLMAO:

Would funsters reckon that £800 a month is possible for a 5 month stay in Spain/Portugal over winter?

Just thinking out loud, any help much appreciated as have never done this, but the sands of time are passing and starting a loosely filled bucket list of sorts

Steve
:wine:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi depends on how much you eat out or use bars . last winter i took my son with me he was going through his family break up. he was broke so i paid . we never ate out but did occasionally use a bar. we or should i say i spent about 2,800 over a 5.5 month time in spain and portugal. that included ferry ,diesel ,food ,beer/wine . and tobacco for him .
have a good time but just dont go mad . might spend less this year as i,m traveling alone . well in a group. be interesting to see how much .

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I assume you are setting up a planned budget for a trip rather than quoting a price you have been given by a site!

That being the case I would say you are under budgeting a bit. Look at the the Malaga meet in March thread and you will see they have negotiated a rate of 14 euros a night which you may/may not be able to achieve but for budget purposes this would mean a site expenditure considerably more than you are budgeting.

However if you are not wanting leccy and are only going to use a site on an occasional basis, spending more time off site then your budget figure might be achievable.

To illicit a more accurate evaluation of your budget I think you will need to supply more information on how often you intend using a site/ what facilities you want the site to have etc.

But I agree with you if you are planning a trip it is always sensible to work out a budget before you go so nasty surprises are kept to a minimum.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i reckon you will need £400 a month on site fees alone :Sad: then say another £100 / week on groceries etc thats your £800 covered, fuel? Gas? odd lunch / night out?

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I thought you couldn't wild in spain? that is was illegal now.

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
i reckon you will need £400 a month on site fees alone :Sad: then say another £100 / week on groceries etc thats your £800 covered, fuel? Gas? odd lunch / night out?

Thanks for all the replies, now think £800 is a no go.
Don't fancy too much wild camping, was thinking of the Denia area.

Really do appreciate the help.
Steve

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011

Thanks for all the replies, now think £800 is a no go.
Don't fancy too much wild camping, was thinking of the Denia area.

Really do appreciate the help.
Steve

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi NormanandSue,

Thank you for the reply, I am trying to work out a sensible budget for next winter. We would like to go out odd times, nothing posh and just chill.

Steve

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Good evening funsters,
Not wishing to go too much into my finances :ROFLMAO:

Would funsters reckon that £800 a month is possible for a 5 month stay in Spain/Portugal over winter?

Just thinking out loud, any help much appreciated as have never done this, but the sands of time are passing and starting a loosely filled bucket list of sorts

Steve
:wine:
I'm struggling to respond to this post, as I'm watching children in need in Scotland £800. Per month are you for real Bill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I thought you couldn't wild in spain? that is was illegal now.

you can park but not camp. you need to read the instructions 08/v-74
its all there .it can be a nuisance educating the guardia but someone has to do it .
only been arrested once . that was soon after it was announced in 2008 . thanks to momo on here i had copies of the instructions . was released with an apology .
if your near valencia give mo a pm . she is a great m,homers friend .
hopefully see you soon mo.
only 23 days to boat time .

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm struggling to respond to this post, as I'm watching children in need in Scotland £800. Per month are you for real Bill

Hi Bill,
Yes am for real :thumb:
How much would you say is a sensible amount? having never done this don't really know and am looking for advice. If people say £1500 will sort the budget our accordingly. But thanks for the reply.

Steve

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi Bill,
Yes am for real :thumb:
How much would you say is a sensible amount? having never done this don't really know and am looking for advice. If people say £1500 will sort the budget our accordingly. But thanks for the reply.

Steve
Dear dear please tell me your not for real

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you choose one campsite and stay there then it will cost you less than £10 a day so around £300 a month, after that the food and other costs are the same as being at home so it's do-able.

Mike

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Dear dear please tell me your not for real

What on earth are you trying to say! He is asking for advice, he doesn't know how much he needs, he is asking.

When you don't know something about motorhomes and Travelling, you ask, and somebody, you hope, helps with an answer.

Yes he is real!!!!!

If you can help.......help.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
What on earth are you trying to say! He is asking for advice, he doesn't know how much he needs, he is asking.

When you don't know something about motorhomes and Travelling, you ask, and somebody, you hope, helps with an answer.

Yes he is real!!!!!

If you can help.......help.
And another one if you don't know I despair

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think Bailey is "trying" to make a point that someone is talking about spending £800 a month travelling when he himself is watching a fund raising program on TV...... !!

Am I right.. ???

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I think Bailey is "trying" to make a point that someone is talking about spending £800 a month travelling when he himself is watching a fund raising program on TV...... !!

Am I right.. ???

If that is the case, he should say so, not do one liners. I am watching a program and the bloke in USA says he has spent 4500 dollars on diner.
Think what you will, but this guy want to know how much to go to Spain, he may indeed have already given money to a charity, but he still needs info.....not crap!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If that is the case, he should say so, not do one liners. I am watching a program and the bloke in USA says he has spent 4500 dollars on diner.
Think what you will, but this guy want to know how much to go to Spain, he may indeed have already given money to a charity, but he still needs info.....not crap!

Agree 100%. ... Waiting on confirmation if I am correct...

Back to topic.. I think £800 would be do-able BUT very much on the edge.. More would be better of course...
Depends if you are using campsites or aires. If you want to be in a popular area of out the way somewhere... As well as campsite fee's you need to budget for electric as that not always included but charged on a meter. Also Gas for your fridge and heating, it can get cold at night even in Spain...
You could add Morocco to the mix, ok €200 to get a crossing but all cheaper once you are over there....

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes yes at last

But... How much this guy can or want to spend has nothing to do with you, me or anyone.. We dont know their situation.. They may already contribute lots to charity either in cash or time...

If he wants to spend £800 or £8'000 a month then it's up to them...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if adding morocco think you need 1000-1500 more to the total . again we dont use campsites and dont pay to park .

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
£800 a month to live in Portugal.

OMG.

I must be doing something very, very wrong! :Eeek:

I live like a Prince for less than half that.

Mind you... only one of me most of the time and I don't throw much of my money away on site fees.

If you HAVE to go to a campsite Pria da Rocha, Portimao is €2.50 a night per van and €2 for 100 litres of water.

Silves welcomes motorhomes with open arms. Price per 24 hours €0.

Our own Chicken Run does deals. Don't think it comes to £100 a week!!!!! (Even with electric and wi-fi).

If you spend time away from the expensive touristy Algarve it all gets more and more affordable.

(Other folk might know better than me though. I have only wintered here for 14 years.)

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
£800 a month to live in Portugal.

OMG.

I must be doing something very, very wrong! :Eeek:

I live like a Prince for less than half that.

Mind you... only one of me most of the time and I don't throw much of my money away on site fees.

If you HAVE to go to a campsite Pria da Rocha, Portimao is €2.50 a night per van and €2 for 100 litres of water.

Silves welcomes motorhomes with open arms. Price per 24 hours €0.

Our own Chicken Run does deals. Don't think it comes to £100 a week!!!!! (Even with electric and wi-fi).

If you spend time away from the expensive touristy Algarve it all gets more and more affordable.

(Other folk might know better than me though. I have only wintered here for 14 years.)

JJ :Cool:

Thank you all, especially JJ, have been to Alvor just down the road, might bypass Spain and head straight for Portugal.
Appreciate all the comments, got a bit confused with some of the posts?
But thank you
Steve

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When ever we spend a few months in Europe,regardless of time of year,it is always cheaper than living at home :thumb:
We are both on fixed income now (pensioners) and Spain in winter is beneficial to us,both healthwise and financially. It also gives us more disposable income for worthy causes-any one have a problem with that ?

Mike.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Regardless of what it costs in Spain if you spend the colder months a bit further south you won't need to:

Heat the house to Med. temperatures;
Buy winter clothes;
Worry about the MH freezing up;
Endure bad weather in UK;
Tax the car (maybe);
Spend on the house;
Get carried away on Aldi Thursday;
etc.

It's cost us about a thousand a month, all in, to winter in Spain using ACSI sites and others long term. That's including getting there and back.

Enjoy your trip

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Regardless of what it costs in Spain if you spend the colder months a bit further south you won't need to:

Heat the house to Med. temperatures;
Buy winter clothes;
Worry about the MH freezing up;
Endure bad weather in UK;
Tax the car (maybe);
Spend on the house;
Get carried away on Aldi Thursday;
etc.

It's cost us about a thousand a month, all in, to winter in Spain using ACSI sites and others long term. That's including getting there and back.

Enjoy your trip

Thank you,
You have now made me feel that this is doable next year
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread