LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just completed fitting the extra fuel tank on my Peugeot J5 chassis.
For some reason the fitting of long range fuel tanks is not as popular as it is in Germany. I think the reasoning behind this is that most Germans transit Luxembourg when traveling south,so they take advantage of cheaper fuel there.
Anyway have just fitted a 70 ltr fuel tank from an LDV to the Peugeot,pumped through to the main tank via a 12 volt fuel pump,switchable from the dash. The LDV tanks are perfect for European campers as they are long and narrow so can be bolted straight to the chassis and with a little alteration to the filler pipe and a piece of ex inter-cooler hose brought up to the sidewall and a nice flush fitting filler cap on the outside. Hopefully this will give me enough range to most meets and trips in the UK without having to buy fuel out. Also with luck can make Spain with only one fill-up on route. I fitted a similar setup to my VW but am realy pleased with the outcome of this one as its all done from the cab whilst on the move. No getting out and switching taps on and off.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I hope so Brian, the upside is that the further I travel the less I weigh.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'd hate long range tanks, especially in France, I love the excuse to stop, take on some local caffeine (I love the French machine coffee) and get rid of the numb bum::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I'd hate long range tanks, especially in France, I love the excuse to stop, take on some local caffeine (I love the French machine coffee) and get rid of the numb bum::bigsmile:

Your not running on UK chip fat though:winky::Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
h dave .i,m sure you keep buying the wron sort of vehicles. my old lt had 2 x150ltr tanks either side and i made a big tank instead of the rear original one that had 200ltr . i used gas manifilds to change fuel and return lines .
the mitzy as a merc 200ltr on one side and i have another 200litre tank waiting to go on the originasl tank position. may fit another by the axle.
leave maroc with 500ltr of cheap diesel or use gib it makes sense .
even just topping up berfore catching the ferry is quids in the pocket.
i,m sure you need a mini artic conversion. . ha ha . :thumb:
keep on trucking.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have just completed fitting the extra fuel tank on my Peugeot J5 chassis.
For some reason the fitting of long range fuel tanks is not as popular as it is in Germany. I think the reasoning behind this is that most Germans transit Luxembourg when traveling south,so they take advantage of cheaper fuel there.
Anyway have just fitted a 70 ltr fuel tank from an LDV to the Peugeot,pumped through to the main tank via a 12 volt fuel pump,switchable from the dash. The LDV tanks are perfect for European campers as they are long and narrow so can be bolted straight to the chassis and with a little alteration to the filler pipe and a piece of ex inter-cooler hose brought up to the sidewall and a nice flush fitting filler cap on the outside. Hopefully this will give me enough range to most meets and trips in the UK without having to buy fuel out. Also with luck can make Spain with only one fill-up on route. I fitted a similar setup to my VW but am realy pleased with the outcome of this one as its all done from the cab whilst on the move. No getting out and switching taps on and off.
My 80ltr tank gets me down to Spain, done it on two occasions now,That’s using the ferry to Calais not Santander :ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Reminds me of the time many years ago now when I was involved in Scuba diving holidays in Spain.

We used to ferry the punters from Hanwell, London down to Spain in a 12 seater Transit bus and stopped in Andorra to fill up with cheap petrol plus fill all the jerry cans on the roof.

Trip was non stop to Spain!

Heath and Safety did not excist in those days!

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back