Long Mynd

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kontiki48, Jan 22, 2011.

1. kontiki48

kontiki48 Read Only Funster

Hi. can anyone one give me advice on camp site's around Long Mynd area. i'm interested in hiking/walking in that area, any info would be welcome, thank's.

graham.:thumb:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Hi Graham,

If you have CC membership, there are a few CL sites around Church Stretton, if not, then this may be worth further investigation:

Small Batch Caravan & Camping
    Small Batch
    Little Stretton
    Shropshire
    SY6 6PW

01694 723358

www.smallbatch-camping.webeden.co.uk/

I hope this is helpfull:thumb:

Nomadic

4. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Hi Graham

Do you belong to CC or C&CC? There are lots of CL/CS's around Shropshire.

There is a rally site at Spring Bank Farm, Church Stretton SY6 6EX which both clubs seem to use quite often.

There is also a CC site at Presthope, near Much Wenlock.

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Don't say I told you, but on the top of the Long-Mynd there is a gliding club, Now if you go up there and pay for a joy ride they may let you stay for a night or two.

It could work out cheaper that a camp site!!

Doug...

6. kontiki48

hi. Normadic. thank's for your suggestion's i will take a look ,i only know church stretton when visiting the mill on a day's outing last year.

Graham.:thumb:

7. kontiki48

Hi. Janine. thank you for your reply, i have only been to the NT mill near church stretton i think that's where we went, I was taken there last xmas time for the day, Which was a disaster due to no winter gear /boot's etc needless to say my daughter and son-in-law was not in my good book's that day, :Angry: ie three feet of snow and i could not stand up coming back down to the mill due to the condition's, i was on my backside more then standing, :Rofl1: So i would like to revisit with the camper shortly for a few day's.

Graham., :thumb:

8. kontiki48

Doug, Thank's for the info, but not sure about the joy ride to be honest, :thumb:

9. kontiki48

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

We have stayed twice at Spring Bank Rally Field - it is a C&CC CS. Simple field with water and disposal points. The owner (Mrs Madeley) lives in Church Stretton, not on the site. Easy walking distance of the town centre, and close to the road up past the NT area onto the Long Myndd. Site entrance is next to the school.
    Spring Bank

We have looked at Small Batch whilst out walking. It looks very pleasant and is a bit more expensive than Spring Bank. Not sure if it is open at this time of year. As I remember it, you have to drive through a small ford to get onto the site. It looked a bit tight for big motorhomes / RVs.

Philip

11. kontiki48

Hi, Philip. Thank's for the info, i would like to find a site very close to the NT area, so i can leave the motorhome on site, I will check it out,

Graham. :thumb:

12. sedge

sedge Funster

If you type in Long Mynd Campsite using Yahoo as a search engine, you can get to the "Church Stretton Area" Website, on which there are a few shown.

13. kontiki48

Hi, Jenny Thank's for the info, :thumb: i was hoping someone has been to a site which they would recommend near the NT area at "church Stretton" .

Graham.

14. TDH

TDH Funster

Hello Graham. Have a look at Botvyle Farm (link here). It's between the Long Mynd and the Stretton Hills, ideal for both places and a lovely spot. (I used to live next door!).

You could try Small Batch but the facilities are limited. If you don't mind sites with minimal services you could try Brow Farm at Ratlinghope, right on the side of the Mynd, or a bit further up the lane towards Darnford is another farm with a field that has vans and tents.

If you don't mind a bit of wild camping, depending how long you want to stay, I'd suggest that the carpark at Pole Cottage, right up on the top of the hill would be OK for an overnight, or there's a spot on the road down from the top towards Ratlinghope which would also be ok for that.

There's also at least one site in Wentnor, on the west side of the hil. My Google map is playing up so I can't give you a reference at the mo, but I'll have another look tomorrow if I can and post a bit more info.

I can probably help a bit more if you let me know what sort of facilities you want - I live on the Stiperstones, the next ridge over from the Mynd, so can probably point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Trevor

15. kontiki48

Hi Trevor, i'm really spoilt for choice here, :thumb: idealy i would like to be within walking distance of carding mill from a campsite so i dont have to use the motorhome and leave it unattended in a car park, i will certainly have a look at your suggestion's.

Graham.:thumb::thumb:

16. TDH

TDH Funster

There is a site on the edge of Stretton, near to the school. I'll have a look and let you know what it's called tomorrow.

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've been up a few times to the gliding club, but the most amazing time is at night. There is no light pollution. I was half a mile from the club, stopped and got out of the car. It was black as coal and then I heard "them" all around me. Don't know what they were but they were moving. Looking up I got the best star view I've ever had in the UK. Then I wondered if "they" were hungry and got back in the car.

The two roads are not for the feint hearted, go up on a bike and your heart is in your mouth all the way.

I'd be tempted to wild camp up there but getting a MH up the road is off-putting.

18. kontiki48

Hi Brian , Your not trying to scare me with one of your story's about "them " U f O 's are you, :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Graham.

19. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have towed quite a few Gliders up there Brian, the road from Streton is the steepest but the road from the other side is better but has a U bend in it but is the one of choice with a 7 meter glider trailer on the back.

You can see the "Y" junction bend on a google sat view.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...45695,-2.850335&spn=0.00182,0.004823&t=h&z=18

Doug...

20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Respect. The thought of meeting anything coming down, especially a glider does not bare thinking about.

There's a mass of land up there I wonder if you could get away with wild camping a night or two.