Long Haul Virgin

Discussion in 'Solo travellers' started by PixelBloke, Aug 11, 2010.

1. PixelBloke

PixelBloke Read Only Funster

After a lifetime of doings everything as a couple I suddenly found myself alone. I decided a motorhome and the lure of the open road was probably what I needed...a new adventure.
    I've made a few short local trips with just one or two over nights but seem to be finding it hard to pluck up the courage for a long haul to the Scottish Highlands.
    Are my feelings of apprehension normal...is this just first-time nerves?
    Dave

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If you are going to do it do the job properly. Push your limits.

For the same mileage you could be eaten alive and drowned in Scotland or you could be here:

http://www.mobilhome-paris.com/
    http://www.lesbalconsverts.com/camping/show/id/2
    http://camping-loreleyblick.de/neu/index.php?lang=english

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Yes feelings normal, but once mastered you are in for a treat.

With your hobbies, you will take to the Scottish Highlands like a duck to water.

In my opinion there is no better place in Britain to take your motorhome, and the local people you will meet will make you most welcome. I have been travelling around Scotland for years and have built up a collection of people who I now have the pleasure to call friends, site owners, wardens, shop people, landlords and so on. I rarely go long without meeting someone.

I would say go for it you will not be sorry.

Best of luck.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

4. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

5. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

6. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Never mind the nerves! Just go for it! (Take some insect repellent with you though, just saw a midge fly by the window with a Goat in it's claws!)

7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I must admit that when I set out to 'do' Scotland a couple of years ago, I got as far as Dumfries and decided that was quite enough driving.

I turned left and had a wonderful holiday on the Solway Firth.

That's the beauty of motorhoming :Smile:

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

It is very difficult to recommend any particular spots there are so many it is just a matter of take your pick. I don't normally bother to make a note of them just find new spots as required. Some I only know when approaching them, it makes it more fun that way.

The West Coast is full of spots by coast or by the side of Lochs.

Would say just go and enjoy it.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Wimp !

Might be the beauty of motorhoming but you've nea seen the beauty o' Scotland lassie.

10. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Dave id go for it but me being scottish would say that. I must say id do what janine did and turn left once in scotland as dumfries and galloway is very quiet and ideal for mhs and the fact i stay in dumfries has nothing to do with it. Also the good thing is we dont have any pay carparks and if your sensible you will be able to stay in local carparks for a few days. We always have a couple of mh's sitting next to rive during the summer and police wont bother them. on way home from work tonight had 3 sitting in the dock park had a good look and didnt see any fun stickers on them. If you would like any info on d&g just ask.

Gerry

11. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Hi Dave, just take baby steps. Don’t tell yourself your going to any one place just point yourself in the direction and each day see how you feel, you will be surprised how easy you will fall into it.

Dave, if you go to the section of the site: downloads/touring-information wild-camping-uk download this file and print it out, this will show you loads of wild camping places all over the uk its in sections so you can just print Scotland if you want. We carry the whole thing on the laptop.

Good luck and have fun!:thumb:

12. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

We would certainly like some information on that area, and would appreciate any you can send, could you PM us please?

Ginny and Mike

13. GAUDIE

GAUDIE Read Only Funster

Hi

Depends on you Dave but it sounds like first time nerves. I also like company to meet up with but this year I did S Wales (10 - 11 days) Scotland (almost 3 weeks) and France (almost a month). I spent a lot of time on my own but also met some great people. In France I met up with some friends for 2 -3 days and then went on a Barge/Cycling holiday for a week. I am by my nature very outgoing and feel comfortable in meeting people in any circumstances although I want and need company too.
    Just remember that at times it may be uncomfortable being on your own but there are good sides to it too and if you do get a bit down, you ain't going to die from it.
    You never know we may even meet sometime.
    Gaudie

14. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Dave and Gaudie, There are so many people on this forum that as you travel long journeys there is always someone along the way you can meet up with for a coffee ... or a veggie burger...:BigGrin: Joy