Long delivery times for new vans. How does this affect trade ins? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Just out of curiosity, when you order a new van and there is a long wait till delivery how does this affect your trade in? I have always bought new vans that were actually in stock so there has never been a problem simply agreeing a trade in value and doing the deal, but if you were taking delivery say 7 months down the line as appears common now, or even next year in some cases what happens? Do you have to give your van to the dealer straight away at an agreed price and do without till delivery of the new one, or do you take a gamble and agree to negotiate a trade in price nearer the due date? Or do you agree a trade in value but have this reassessed to account for any change in condition/extra mileage when you collect the new one? Like I said just curious as I think I will always buy from stock but you never know.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We told ours our plans for the interim, rough additional mileage, deal done. Don't remember them checking the mileage at handover.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I assume they will take that into account when they give you a trade in valuation. We waited about 3 months for ours but the trade in was honoured.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Usually you agree a trade in price at the time of doing the original deal assuming they have actually seen your px vehicle of course and are not just giving a 'sight unseen' one; I've only had to wait a longish time once for a new MH and the price wasn't changed.

If it is a really long time I assume the dealer would want to check the condition of the trade in again to make sure nothing has happened to affect the value unduly.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
We bought a new MH at the NEC in October for delivery in March, and were quoted a trade-in, unseen, for our old van. We were also offered an extra £900 on the trade-in if we were to let them have it the following week. Given that we were not likely to get much use over the xmas new year we accepted the higher offer. The dealer checked the van out when i delivered it to them and confirmed the trade-in value. Must admit, I am starting to get itchy now without the van so am really hoping delivery is not delayed. As of last week I am still being told delivery to dealer 2nd week in March and for us to pick up a week or so later.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wouls have thought this would be agrred at the time the order were placed if the new van is delayed the trade in ought to stay the same as its down to them but it could get interesting when inflation returns if the new van is then worth more!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We were given a guaranteed trade in for ours, unseen. Now the new van has been delayed and we will be putting miles on the old one but the trade in stands. We will have to have the old van MOTed and serviced though - which we would not have needed to do had the original delivery estimate happened. The key word is that it is an estimate for delivery.

If the new van is not what we want when the time comes we can still walk away.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We have traded in c/vans-m/homes at the time of the deal and awaited the delivery on a future date,and had NO trouble at all,however,there have been cases where this has been done and the dealer/supplier,has gone out of business and it appears you have to be quick on your feet and retrieve it from their yard.
We would do the same again,trade in and wait,but this is what may happen,as i am sure you are all aware of.... just a reminder.
Tea Bag

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We ordered at the motor show (October) for a delivery in March - delayed to May and the agreed price was maintained

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back