Loners, singles, seperates

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wildman, May 25, 2012.

1. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Motorhomefun is for motorhomers married single or whatever of whatever colour, background or sexual pursuasion, why do some people think they have to be seperate is beyond me, if you want to be a loner why are you looking to meet up with people? The reasoning eludes me, at a meet I'll talk to anyone, sit with anyone, even run off with anyone if thats what you want, well maybe thats a bit strong after all my legs, like everything else are no what they once were. You are only seperate because you make yourself so. For goodness sake just get on and mix in, we don't bite unless you ask very nicely.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 11
  2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I concur. Having been a single Funster & a non-single Funster, I've had just as much fun at meets and rallies.

I talk to anyone - if they don't want to talk to me, that's their problem :Wink::Laughing:

• Like Like x 12
  3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Roger, Hope you had a lovely holiday:Smile:

I agree with you that there are so many lovely people at the ordinary meets that are in couples that it probably is unnecessary to have a loners meet, but I think some people feel more comfortable with them because, as other lone females have said to me in the past, some people have made them feel unwelcome, or that they are a threat. This doesn't happen with Motorhomefun ... indeed it has never happened to me at all with any club ... but it must be unpleasant if it should happen to someone who may not be overly confident on their own anyway. (Ooops. told a lie, as it has happened once some time ago). Many, many of my friends from motorhoming are couples and keep in touch all the time and hopefully, once the loners do come to meets they won't feel the need to have a separate meet up. Maybe on seeing this thread they will feel a bit more confident. :thumb:

Oi. You never asked ME to run away with you:Angry: but Sue did!!!!:Eeek:

• Like Like x 7
  4. JJ

JJ Funster

I was a shy, retiring, quiet sort of chap who would go to the motor home shows on his own and camp in the general parking fields...

And then I joined MotorHomeFun... :Eeek:

Just look what happened to me!

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 12
  5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

skating on very thin (French) ice JJ:Eeek:

• Like Like x 3
  6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

SNAP !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I blame ambilkate for our conversion at Shrewsbury last year... :Wink:

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  7. JJ

JJ Funster

They have lots to answer for they do... :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Perceived as a threat or feeling like a gooseberry.....

All valid reasons for a solo meet (note I said solo not singles)

Some people wouldn't feel comfortable going into a working men's club in the north east. Others wouldn't feel comfortable going to a silver service diners club.

I can understand why some people don't feel comfortable going to a normal meet with lots of couples.

Nothing wrong with having a solo's meet in my view although I don't feel the need to go myself but will if it is near and I am free..:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

Am I missing the point (again)

Why belong to a (sociable) club like MHF which, as the name suggests, is primarily to have fun with one's motorhome and then decide to be a solo and set up solo meets or go to a general meet and then not join in. As a solo traveller I have never found any problem or felt excluded from any activity.

Each to their own, but I have yet to come across any solo at a MHF meet who felt that they were treated differently.

• Like Like x 3
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We have been members of MHF since day one, 2007, but have only ever been to ONE meet... does that make us anti-social ? Well maybe it does.. however..

I didn't join to go to meets but to both give and get help with motorhomes and travel information.. Personally we don't enjoy meets as we much prefer doing our own thing ..

For three years we wandered in our RV, met many nice people and made some good friends, but don't enjoy crowds.. but as you say each to their own .. there is no 'right' or 'wrong' in doing exactly as you please... that's what it's all about .. so if some want to organise a solo, kid free, old gits, swingers or whatever that's entirely up to them.. it's certainly none of my concern..

• Like Like x 4
  11. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Thanks for your view and I am glad you have never had problems or felt excluded. However it seems that several solo members, mostly female, do not go to meets precisely because they are on their own and are nervous. As a lone female for many years I entirely understand their position. There is no intention to set up as a separate entity, more a way of introducing lone travellers to MHF. I go to meets on my own and don't have trouble either, but I was very nervous going to the first one...

• Like Like x 6
  12. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

As I travel alone, and go to meets on my own , I have never felt left out, and I enjoy the company of other funsters, and long may it continue.................Del:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

Absolutely right about feeling nervous going to the first meet, I know I was, so it is not only solo women who feel that way.

I always make an effort to include new funsters, especially solo travellers, simply because I can empathise with them and the possible feeling of awkwardness at first. I have no hidden agenda, it's the way I am.

As Jim says above, we all join for different reasons, but knowing the problems associated with solo travelling, I strongly recommend meets as a way to enjoy solo motorhoming (that sounds like an oxy-moron when read back)

• Like Like x 5
  14. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Hopefully this year you will join us in the arena, instead of sitting by your van. Tell Irene i got a bottle of Pimms:Wink: promise not to put soda water in it:Wink:

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  15. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

quote Tonka
    SNAP !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I blame ambilkate for our conversion at Shrewsbury last year... :Wink:

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

:Wink::Wink::Wink::beer::wine::hug::drink::party2::wooo::rollonfloor::beerchug::thumb: what you to talking about, we are a very shy, quiet :party2::party2::Wink::Wink::Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Not on loners but families--

We have been to a few caravan/ motorhome meetings now and find that there never seems to be any children around :Eeek:
    Last Newbury show walking around the arena, i probably spotted 5 children in 2 days !!!
    We have 2 under 5 years old and we could see they felt a little out of their depth .
    Where do all the young people go???
    Is the use of a motorhome a select hobby for the older generation?
    We all love using our motorhome and going off for trips but never see any kids.
    We don`t like the usuall (haven hols sites) where it is all tarmac , burger bars and swimming pools but prefer fields with walks and a playground ----and maybe a pub nearby sometimes :thumb:
    I notice there are adults only sites, i have never been to one yet, but most sites seem to be that anyway.

17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Are you perhaps suggesting that all these loners get together and produce hordes of kids for yours to play with?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    I'll see what/who can be done:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Babby sitters on site !! yippeee !:thumb: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When you have school age kids your holidays are dictated by the school .. go away during school holidays and you will find hundreds of families but the vast majority will have caravans as they are not only cheaper but offer more space for a growing family ..

Motorhomes are by and large used by older couples, many having 'done' the tugger/family trips and are now looking at more extensive touring .. also many families can't afford to buy and run two vehicles, especially when they only have a limited time to use a motorhome, so a caravan is a better choice.
    Lets be honest, when you are bringing up a family not many can afford the luxury of a £20k +++ motorhome..

If you want to see kids, try Europe during the French or Spanish holiday season .. !

• Like Like x 2
  20. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Joner, I worked with children, many with special needs, and since having to give up then I don't half miss them. You need a babysitter at a meet that I am at .... you got one!!!:Smile: Love 'em to bits. Joy xx

• Like Like x 2