Lone traveller - is it really safe?

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by GHOSTFOX, Aug 9, 2014.

1. GHOSTFOX

GHOSTFOX

Read this today and it has made me think, OK I have a carbon monoxide detector and fire alarm, always lock the doors and windows, I have the dogs......I have something hidden just in case......... I am usually always staying on a site of some sort but there may come a time when I'm 'stuck'. What are your views and any additional advice?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fumes-car-exhaust-knock-travelled-France.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

first of all, believe very little you read in the daily mail with its sensationalist crap, manipulating facts to make a more newsworthy story. secondly as you will see from many many threads on here, there is very little truth to people being gassed and robbed, as in the gassing part is a myth

travelling as a solo traveller, is as safe as you make it. the vast majority that travel alone have never had any trouble. if you have dogs, you are even safer still as thieves tend to be secretive and opportunistic. if a dog barks or an alarm goes off, they wont hang about for a second try

• Like Like x 7
  3. GHOSTFOX

GHOSTFOX

TheBig1, I did wonder how they got in as surely (as I do) no matter where you are you lock the doors? So how did they get in in the first place? Only mentions robbery, no damage to doors or windows. Having said that, have heard of this before.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBig1

the simplest method is a bent screwdriver.....put the blade in the lock and turn it. they are only made of plastic so move easily

before anyone objects to me posting this to give thieves an idea, they already know how to jemmy a lock

• Like Like x 5
  5. GHOSTFOX

GHOSTFOX

Ok, that said, can I get the lock changed then? Lunar Roadstar 786

6. TheBig1

yes is the simple answer but the security barrels are quite expensive. best to fit a good perimeter alarm, triggered by opening a door. that way you can set it when going to bed and not worry. just remember to switch off before stepping outside

a great visual deterrent is a very large dog's water bowl left by the door

• Like Like x 7
  7. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

the big dogs dish is a lot cheaper than an alarm....:LOL::LOL:But i too need an alarm fitting for the doors,,,its just finding the right place to have it done :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You can alarm doors and windows cheaply and effectively with these. (y)

As a lone traveller you are 10000 times more likely to be a victim of kindness than a victim of crime. See the book about security in my signature :)

• Like Like x 18
  9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Lets say they got in because the door wasn't locked in the first place?? I cant see any damage to the lock. Did I miss something the Mail photographer saw??

• Like Like x 2
  10. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Just Google all the first hand reports you can find of incidents. Make sure you exclude the 'friend of a friend' and slow news day reports.

11. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I travel on my own all the time and have been for the last 3 years, in France mainly stopping on aires. ln all that time only once did I think, not stopping here and moved on.
    I do have an alarm that I set every night and I make sure everything is locked, sleep like a baby.
    In case everyone thinks ignorance is bliss back in 2003 my caravan was broken into, they even took the watch off my arm, blade lock, screwdriver and spanner, opens everytime. Since then I always change for a barrel lock, not that expensive but cant be opened as easily

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Get a Jack Russell Small, manageable, but can hear an owl 'toot' at 300 yards during the night. (y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  13. movan

movan Funster Life Member

My only two thefts were when I wasn't in the van... one motorway cafe and the other at a food festival rally.

• Like Like x 1
  14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I leave a large dog bowl and a large bone outside with a muzzle and a chain. i have thought about a mock severed arm but my wife says thats going too far;)

• Like Like x 9
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Yes, and that cake was LOVELY!! (y);)

• Like Like x 3
  16. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Was that the marijuana brownies?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We had them later, behind the cafe where the second theft took place........:Eeek::Eeek:

18. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I spent just short of 2 years full time in my m/home. Alone except for dogs/cats. Never had a problem, never worried once.
    Fiamma handle that closes across the habitation door. If wild camping/Aire camping I locked that then entered through the cab, locking the doors.
    For extra security you can buy 2 dog tethers like these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Tie-O...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item51c19d1ed8
    Together they fit across the cab, looped through the handles. If someone gets your door open, it will be just a few inches, you'd be awake by then. They'd have to get something through the small gap to attempt to cut the cables. Add an alarm as Jim suggests. I had one that was the old "rape alarm" pull the cord out, shrill noise. Mounted on the door arm rest, longer than normal cord on it looped through the sterling wheel-- open the door, cord pulls out.

I never felt worried.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

• Like Like x 1
  20. GHOSTFOX

GHOSTFOX

I have a PAA, will rig that up. Can I ask something in confidence? Not that anyone knows me, but......

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014