London, South Circular Road (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Perhaps a basic question but, when approaching London from M4 Motorway, how easy is it to pick up the South Circular Road?

I am fairly familiar with the route directly into the City Centre so any landmarks identifying the appropriate junction would be welcome.

Thanks, you lovely people.;)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Chiswick roundabout,A406 North circular Southbound over Kew Bridge and voila the traffic jams of the a205. A suburban road linked together with road signs....to be avoided whenever possible. Best of luck!
Unfortunately can't avoid but thanks anyway.

From your description I know where you mean. Thanks for the quick response.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
sounds like you are coming suspiciously close to me neck of the woods:cautious:

:)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Your route takes you into the London Low Emmision Zone. Best check that you are compliant as there are substantial fines if you are not.
Brisey.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
that is about the only way. unless you go via Vauxhall bridge, and up through Brixton.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Your route takes you into the London Low Emmision Zone. Best check that you are compliant as there are substantial fines if you are not.
Brisey.
Much obliged.

Already checked with TfL website. Says compliant so will proceed, but thanks for the warning .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Heading for Crystal Palace CC site in order to visit the France Show at Olympia and spend the weekend in London with friends.

Hate to say it but Abbey Wood is much easier to get to. The South Circular is my most hated road.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hate to say it but Abbey Wood is much easier to get to. The South Circular is my most hated road.
Yes, thanks for that but we had an unfortunate experience on the train into London from Abbey Wood a few years ago and said we wouldn't do it again.,

I intervened to protect a young girl being harassed by two youth and the whole thing turned nasty. No-one else on the train was willing to get involved, or help. No harm came to anybody but the rest of the journey was unpleasant, with not so subtle threats being made.

Although I know it can happen on any route it put us off.:mad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes, thanks for that but we had an unfortunate experience on the train into London from Abbey Wood a few years ago and said we wouldn't do it again.,

I intervened to protect a young girl being harassed by two youth and the whole thing turned nasty. No-one else on the train was willing to get involved, or help. No harm came to anybody but the rest of the journey was unpleasant, with not so subtle threats being made.

Yes. Abbey Wood isn't the best area I must admit.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
From crystal palace site its a short walk to the CP triangle area with lots of bars and restaurants..

Personally ( we live close by) from the M4 -M25-A3 would be my route and we usually go this way....and will be this weekend as going to Swansea

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
From crystal palace site its a short walk to the CP triangle area with lots of bars and restaurants..

Personally ( we live close by) from the M4 -M25-A3 would be my route and we usually go this way....and will be this weekend as going to Swansea
That sounds interesting. Can you expand on the route?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Goo don you for intervening. I'm sure the young lady was very grateful.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better

Good idea, off M4 at m25 South to junction 10 a3 North right into town until Clapham Common (watch out for those bushes other Welsh visitors have had career ending encounters there) pick up South Circular and continue to Crystal Palace. Should be better.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Good idea, off M4 at m25 South to junction 10 a3 North right into town until Clapham Common (watch out for those bushes other Welsh visitors have had career ending encounters there) pick up South Circular and continue to Crystal Palace. Should be better.

Yes that is it Zane, but what I do is: once on inner section of A3 having turned of M25 - head for Morden - Mitcham - Streatham - down london rd A23 - up Crown lane A214 - left on Crystal palace parade - you're there.

depending on time of day I sometimes just go wandsworth bridge to get to M4 but most times end up regretting it. I snake around back streets having lived here all my life... but that difficult to explain.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks, Judgemental.

I'll follow your suggested route. Have a good trip to Swansea.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Yes that is it Zane, but what I do is: once on inner section of A3 having turned of M25 - head for Morden - Mitcham - Streatham - down london rd A23 - up Crown lane A214 - left on Crystal palace parade - you're there.

depending on time of day I sometimes just go wandsworth bridge to get to M4 but most times end up regretting it. I snake around back streets having lived here all my life... but that difficult to explain.
Can't be doing with that terrible trail through Morden, Mitcham etc. then can't be doing with South London in general and that's with one daughter in Crystal Palace and another in Balham. Give me the wide open spaces of Essex. (Easily pleased)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can't be doing with that terrible trail through Morden, Mitcham etc. then can't be doing with South London in general and that's with one daughter in Crystal Palace and another in Balham. Give me the wide open spaces of Essex. (Easily pleased)

Blimey.,,.Essex? Seen it on the telly (briefly) Dont tell me that people actually live there and it really exists!

Sounds like your daughters have better taste:D

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Next time your local let us know and if we are around I'll try and arrange some theatre tickets...;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back