Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
Does anyone know anyone who will come to me to do an MOT/service?
Tax/MOT has run out so cant travel to a garage.
On a winter pitch at Crystal Palace in London.
Help!::bigsmile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Not too too far from you but they do MOT and repairs

We live in London and have just started using them.

I was extremely impressed with both the thoroughness of the MOT on our car and with their diagnosis and repair work to our motorhome both of which they did this week.

They can MOT all classes of vehicle

Here are the contact details

London Borough of Redbridge
Ley Street Depot
Ilford
Essex IG2 7QZ

Telephone 020 8708 5117 ask for Joan or Brenda -

I have already spoken to Joan if you phone and book it in with her you are covered without MOT providing you drive it straight to the MOT station and the vehicle has been pre booked in.

I have spoken to DVLA and providing you tax the vehicle from the 1st of the month no later than 14th December there should be no problem on tax if you are caught driving it to or from the MOT station.

Alternatively telephone the local council to Crystal Palace as they may have a mot station - most Council depots however dont do repairs, so it may be worth travelling that little bit further to Redbridge.

Unfortunately no MOT can be carried out, outside a garage as they need the equipment to test the brakes and to do the emissions test which is all computerised.

Hope this helps xxxx Let me know where you decide to go xxxxx

OP
OP
juliandavies

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
Not too too far from you but they do MOT and repairs

We live in London and have just started using them.

I was extremely impressed with both the thoroughness of the MOT on our car and with their diagnosis and repair work to our motorhome both of which they did this week.

They can MOT all classes of vehicle

Here are the contact details

London Borough of Redbridge
Ley Street Depot
Ilford
Essex IG2 7QZ

Telephone 020 8708 5117 ask for Joan or Brenda -

I have already spoken to Joan if you phone and book it in with her you are covered without MOT providing you drive it straight to the MOT station and the vehicle has been pre booked in.

I have spoken to DVLA and providing you tax the vehicle from the 1st of the month no later than 14th December there should be no problem on tax if you are caught driving it to or from the MOT station.

Alternatively telephone the local council to Crystal Palace as they may have a mot station - most Council depots however dont do repairs, so it may be worth travelling that little bit further to Redbridge.

Unfortunately no MOT can be carried out, outside a garage as they need the equipment to test the brakes and to do the emissions test which is all computerised.

Hope this helps xxxx Let me know where you decide to go xxxxx

thank you so much! damn though - my plan was to do the servicing/MOT towards the end of my seasonal pitch (end of march) - is it the same situation if I register it as 'off-road' for a few months? ie would I still be able to drive it to a garage under the same guidelines?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Have made some more phone calls for you

Bromley Council covers Crystal Palace but doesnt have a public mot station, the only other one anywhere near you is through Croydon Council

Unfortunately they have a maximum length stipulation of 18ft and can only MOT certain vehicle classes

here are there details in case you want them.

MOT testing at Stubbs Mead Depot in Factory Lane, Croydon. To book an appointment, telephone us on the number below.
Class Charge Class 4 (cars etc) £50.00 Class 7 (vans) £53.80 Class 5 (mini-buses) £54.65 Class 5 (mini-buses over 16ft) £74.10 Contact Details

Contact nameMOT Testing CentreTelephone020 8255 2744AddressStubbs Mead Depot
Factory Lane
West Croydon
CR0 3RL
I dont think they do repairs either but you will have to check as I forgot to ask.

hope one of my postings helps you xxxx

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If the vehicle is on Sorn yes the situation is the same.

So do it either at the beginning of march or the beginning of april, pre book your MOT and ensure that when you purchase your tax you do it to start from the beginning of the month that the MOT takes place in.

You must take the sorn off on the day you drive to the MOT station

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you have pre-booked an MOT appointment you can drive the van directly there without a current tax disc providing its is in a reasonably roadworthy condition i.e. lights all working, brakes, steering and tyres within legal limits.

I dont think you actually have to tax it providing you do not use it on the road afterwards except to return it from whence it came.

Do not let the van stand in the same position for months as this will develop flat spots on the tyres and potential wall cracking,

Give it a short run round the camp site if you can and get the rust off the brakes and the clutch.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
Crystal palace site

::bigsmile:I see people have already replied about your MOT which is great, what is the site like at Crystal Palace, is there plenty of room for RV's ?
Kenny

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi
Sorry to put a minor problem in your way but I believe you are on a club site,if this is the case I think you will find all vehicles on site must be legal on the road,so you may have to do some major creeping.

Pete

OP
OP
juliandavies

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
MHfun is so good!
thanks to ALL of you (espec OURCAMPERSBEENTRASHED!)
I've called Stubbs Mead and they said to call back in Jan to see if they can do it (fingers crossed)
JohnCross - I will take a drive round the site (thanks for the tip) - maybe I should try and get to you for the MOT in March!
Kenny - I love it here - supposedly theres a 28ft limit but I'm 29ft and theres another biggie on a seasonal (34? 36?ft) - I feel like I'm in Crystal Palace Park - see pic

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 11

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back