Loire Valley - 2017 (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`m planning only our second trip into France for June 2017 and thinking of exploring the Loire.
We`ll have two weeks and would appreciate advice on a starting point to see some of best scenery and sights etc as I don`t know the area.
Looking at the map I`m thinking starting Orleans / Blois / Tours / Angers / Nantes.
So is that a good stretch to explore ?
Any must see sights in this area ?
Recommendations for sites, planning to do Aires and maybe 3/4 nights on a nice site somewhere.
Thanks

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Nantes is a good site you can get get a tram just outside the gate to
go to see the mechanical elephant which
Chris is amazing...nice old town too. Enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Figaro, you are the only ones who can decide which are the right bits for you. I don't know the area in question but go ahead and find out, remembering the old saying that "one man's meat is another man's poisson".

Good luck whatever you decide, you and your MH will be welcome almost wherever you go in France.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Some nice aires , Briare nice canalside/Loire aire but a bit further east than Orleans also Sully sur loire lovely free aire walking distance to chateau & nice town both well worth a visit.
Nice aire at Lailly en val lakeside in small village with lovely boulangerie.
Blois, Chaumont nice chateau, Amboise c/site & aire both on the island in the middle of Loire , Tours not my cup of tea but quite nice , Turquant nice free aire & some good vineyards , Saumur lovely town & chataeu but v busy , Chalonnes sur Loire nice & c/site pleasant town, Oudon free aire small town interesting .

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
As mentioned by FIDGET the aire at Lailly en Val (in my avatar picture) is pleasant enough, though i seem to remember the church bells were quite regular. I would recommend visiting the Chateau Villandry for the gardens, there is an aire in the car park opposite which is just ok but perfect for visiting the Chateau.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We visited the Loire Valley in 2012 and the stand-out places were, in order of travel, Villandry, Azay le Rideau, Chenonceau, Amboise, Blois and Cheverny and we saw some superb chateaux.

We then spent a couple of days at Briare where there is an amazing canal bridge and aqueduct, which is 662 metres long.

Villandry.JPG Briare Aqueduct.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We've stayed on the campsite at Amboise( on the island) it's a municipal site so cheap but has facilities and a local pool and bar just outside , over the bridge is The Chateau well worth a visit. Da Vinci s last house is there too.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tours not my cup of tea but quite nice
What sort of a place is Tours, very busy ?
Not many people mention orleans, is it just a large town with not much to get excited about.
Got Sully Sur Loire penciled in so will pass orleans, just not sure if it's worth a stopover

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
What sort of a place is Tours, very busy ?
Not many people mention orleans, is it just a large town with not much to get excited about.
Got Sully Sur Loire penciled in so will pass orleans, just not sure if it's worth a stopover

Hi @Figaro ,
Sorry don't know much about Orleans or Tours as both too big for my personal liking , so I shouldn't really comment .
We take our dog with us every where so we don't do sort of cities.
If you need gps for any of the aires I mentioned just PM me.
Terry

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, I'm with you avoiding the cities !
I'll probably take a look on way past to somewhere more rural.
I guess I'll find the aires on search4sites / camper contact etc but if I get stuck thanks for the offer of coordinates

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Tours cathedral is well worth a visit, we actually parked the van outside it in December. Your plan is excellent, that whole valley is well worth a couple of weeks. The aire in Blois is nice and big (and central) to visit the chateau, Amboise definitely, same for Villandry. Mrs Adonisito often says, if she could only pick one aire after 7 years visiting different ones that Amboise would be near the top of the list. Lovely town, great market, long dog walks, EHU, quiet (although we have never been in the Summer.)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
As mentioned by FIDGET the aire at Lailly en Val (in my avatar picture) is pleasant enough, though i seem to remember the church bells were quite regular. I would recommend visiting the Chateau Villandry for the gardens, there is an aire in the car park opposite which is just ok but perfect for visiting the Chateau.

The Aire is now better than all right! I was on it a few days ago and it's now a Brand New one recited about 200m from the old one as you enter Villandry it has 36 electric points all on individual spacious pitches + non electric ones, about 50 in total.my Sat-Nav routed me from exit 7 for some reason when it's 1km from exit 8, worth noting.

Apr 5, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2016
This is a lovely campsite, very quiet when we went early season, but stunning location

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Tours cathedral is well worth a visit, we actually parked the van outside it in December. Your plan is excellent, that whole valley is well worth a couple of weeks. The aire in Blois is nice and big (and central) to visit the chateau, Amboise definitely, same for Villandry. Mrs Adonisito often says, if she could only pick one aire after 7 years visiting different ones that Amboise would be near the top of the list. Lovely town, great market, long dog walks, EHU, quiet (although we have never been in the Summer.)
The campsite is Very busy in August and best to book , the aire is nearly as expensive as the campsite and is adjoining it.
There is a cycle track to Tours and is often used by the campers who bring a tent. One of our favourite sites too!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Aire at Amboise ? Is there just the one aire, am I correct in thinking it`s on an island in the river ?
That's the one I mean is there another! ?

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge (y)
Just seems such a long way off to wait now.
Need to arrange something in UK for before then.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Had a quick look at BF but prices seemed pricey compared to tunnel, I may look at different routes though. I think it was poole to cherbourg I looked at
Poole-Cherbourg is normally one of the cheaper options. A few options for routes to Poole from your UK location (I regularly use M5, M42, M40, A34, M3, M27 and then A roads to Poole), and no need to go round London and then a long drive from Calais to the Loire. Good roads (some dual carriageway) from Cherbourg to A84 down to Rennes and dual carriageway all the way down to Nantes. TeeMyob is presumably keen to let you use his Club Voyage 10% friend's discount off the BF fare.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We've stayed on the campsite at Amboise( on the island) it's a municipal site so cheap but has facilities and a local pool and bar just outside , over the bridge is The Chateau well worth a visit. Da Vinci s last house is there too.

From bitter experience, they don't accept tag axles. After being refused one year we thought we would try again a couple of years later but still no joy!

Ian

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Amboise - don't know about Tags, but the brilliant market along the river - is only on Sunday mornings.

I was desperate to go to Azay le Rideau so we went - what a disappointment.

It was red hot though and there was a public lido adjacent to the campsite and aire - so that was nice!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back