Loire River Aires

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by FIDGET, May 10, 2011.

1. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hello. :Laughing: We are going to travel along from Angers to Briare stopping at various aires along the way, Just wondered if anybody been that way and could suggest possible aires or municipal campsites ( use them about every 4th day )
    or chateau's ,any help would be appreciated. Terry:Cool:

2. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

We stayed last year at an excellent site right by the river at Montsoreau....
    Campsite L'Isle Verte

I also noticed on our cycle ride into Saumur that there is a very big aire (an old abandoned campsite) in Parnay.

3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Thanks for that, can I ask was the site expensive as usually only use municipal sites Terry

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Not expensive for what they offered - excellent views of the river, pool, EHU, excellent water and waste facilities, close to village, charcuterie opposite, boulangerie just down the road.
    If you Google 'em, you should get a price.

There was a more basic site a couple of miles down the road, heading away from Saumur, but we thought it was too basic, which is why it was nearly empty.

I did notice that there was an excellent "wild" site on the opposite side of the river.

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

6. OwnedbyCollies

OwnedbyCollies Funster

We stayed on the aire at Azay last year (free parking and services by token). Excellent location - 5 minute walk to town centre and chateau.

Also stayed on campsite at Chenonceaux 'Le Moulin Fort' last year. ACSI 15 euros/night. Good location on the banks of the Loire but the facilities were basic (we did not use them and preferred to stay in the tent area without hook-up). 10 minute walk along the river to the chateau.

Just returned from France and we stayed at Sully sur la Loire - lovely aire behind the chateau. Free overnight parking and services appeared to be free too. It was full when we arrived and we stayed on the car park next to the aire. Excellent location - easy access to the town centre and the chateau and on the 'Loire a Velo' cycle route.

Also stayed at Briare on the aire by the side of the canal. What a beautiful locaton - we could easily have spent several days here. The 'Pont Canal' crosses the Loire and there are miles of canal and river walks. 10 minute walk into town. Free parking (services on the main aire over the bridge - new Flot Bleu - 2 euros for 20 minutes access).

7. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, Many thanks for the info , have penciled those in as definites on our itinery
    for sept, will let you know how it all goes in oct. Once again I am very impressed with this site ,being a new member of 1week. Many thanks to everyone including Jim,only one problem I cant leave laptop now as going through all forums all the time. Hope I'm not getting overly obsessive!! Terry

• Like Like x 1
  8. sedge

sedge Funster

I second Azay le Rideau and yes, it is pretty with the lake and all, but inside the chateau is disappointing to say the least, it's empty basically. The 'park' is disappointing too! can walk all over and round it in half an hour.

However .... the aire is smack opposite the turning to the town open aire lido and so we spent the rest of the afternoon (that we thought we would still be wandering through the park!) in the lido. Really cheap and excellent with a huge grassed area with trees to sit (or lie) under as well as the pool.