Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Is it just me or is there some dark magic going on when I log onto the site?

I input my username and then tab into the password field and input my password.... all pretty normal so far. I the either hit the 'Enter' key or I click on the 'Log In' button. It doesn't matter which I do, because seemingly at random one of two things then happens:

a) A box appears thanking me for logging in and saying I will be re-directed in as few moments, following which I am directed to the home screen

b) A box appears telling me that that I have made an invalid paging request. If this happens, I just click on the 'Home' option on the page and I am taken to the Home page as normal and shown as being logged in.

Am I the only one that this happens to? I would assume that option a) is the correct thing that should happen, and if so, why does option b) seemingly occur at random?

Simon

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
u have a bug i reckon used to happen a lot with windows xp the 1st clcik went to a page u didnt want then another click went to where u did want i think its a bug but not defo on that

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds like you may have a corrupt browser cache. try clearing it and see if it improves:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spenders

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I'm quite fastidious about deleting my browser cache very regularly.... I use the Internet Explorer inbuilt tool (as suggested in Jim's link) and also the CCleaner app-type program. ??

Simon

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It happens to me occasionally as well across multiple browsers and OS's.
I don't worry about it however and just carry on regardless.

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
It may be related, or not ... but the site always forgets that I have logged in when I click on Recent Posts just under the banner at top left. I click back on my browser and I'm logged in again and can navigate as normal. This only happens with the Recent Posts button. I'm using latest Firefox on Win XP. I have recently cleared my cache with CCleaner, like Spenders.

EDIT: I cleared all this site's cookies and it appears to be behaving itself so far.

Last edited:

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I spoke too soon - the problem is back. Every time I click on Recent Posts my staus changes to logged out.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the database is simply losing the request. its not the user its a very minor glitch in the forum software. the difficult part would be tracing and correcting a line of code someplace.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
But it's a 2014 problem ... still. :rolleyes:
I have just tried used the recent posts tab using 4 different browsers and using a PC, Mac and a linux machine, and cannot replicate your problem. Its not unusual to be logged out now and again as there is a trade off between convenience and security, but consistent behaviour like that means something is wrong. Try with another browser; Chrome or Firefox and see if it happens then and get back to us.

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
Hi Jim, I have reproduced the behaviour with the latest editions of Firefox and Google Chrome on my XP netbook (all available updates applied). I haven't tried IE because the edition that works on XP is insecure and I never use it now.
I have been unable to reproduce it on my Win7 PC with either Chrome or FF.
It's a bit academic in my case because the XP netbook is just about to be replaced by a Windows 8.1 machine, but I think a large number of people still use XP.

Reactions: Jim

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
The problem is still happening with my new Windows 8.1 laptop and Firefox. I go to the login page and log in successfully, maybe look at my alerts, then I click on Recent Posts and I am immediately logged out, every time. It also happens if I click on Forum Home. Once I login a second time, I stay logged in.

Could it be AdBlock Plus? Or DoNotTrackMe?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The problem is still happening with my new Windows 8.1 laptop and Firefox. I go to the login page and log in successfully, maybe look at my alerts, then I click on Recent Posts and I am immediately logged out, every time. It also happens if I click on Forum Home. Once I login a second time, I stay logged in.

DoNotTrackMe blocks cookies so pretty likely its the culprit

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I imagine its a local issue, I can't reproduce it here. If it happens every time then it should be easy to track down. by turning off those items you suspect one at a time and logging in (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back