Log book whilst abroad query

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by debdabble, Dec 8, 2013.

1. debdabble

debdabble Read Only Funster

Hi everyone,

we were hoping to have been heading for Spain/Portugal by now but had some last minute hitches which means it going to be 27th December now before we can set off - that is if anyone can enlighten on us on this question.

We have had the van uprated recently (past two weeks) and all documents have been returned except the log book. Can we travel legally without this? We have been given a V5C/2 docket, but we are not planning to sell the van in the near future. Does this cover us? Would we be asked to produce the log book whilst abroad if pulled up. We have tried to look this up in our various guides and travel info, but no luck. So we are making an assumption that it won't be required - but is this wrong.

Many thanks for any guidance

Debbie

2. Phill D

Phill D

my belief is that you need to carry the v5. i certainly carry mine in a secure place with other original docs. but i also carry Photo copies in a separate folder just in case.:thumb:

3. Mel

Mel Funster

Here you risk a €500 fine if you dont cary it.
    And I know because I had to lend a friend of mine from the UK€500 to pay his fine.

Mel

4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Not sure about the names of documents but I couldn't get my car repaired this year without production of the V5.

I had to get someone from work to go to my house, scan it and email it to me.

Unfortunately the email which was forwarded to the repairer and breakdown company contained some disparaging comments about the French that we hadn't noticed until we forwarded it:Blush:

They took it well though( or rather the French did, Green Flag were most upset) :BigGrin:

5. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I believe that the original reason for carrying the log book was so that you can prove ownership, however the log book now carries the message something like : This is not proof of ownership : although I doubt that French/Spain policeperson will know this.
    So if you don't have the new V5 carry something which shows that you own the vehicle instead.

Edit Just checked with the AA and they say it is compulsory to carry the original registration document.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  6. tonytange

tonytange

Hello you do need the v5 when abroad although I haven't had to show it but if you are going to use your uprated van you will need proff of this leagle uprating when trying to explain to police at a weight check .
    Dont forget your van may now have differnt speed limits and weight limits on roads:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Same here in France, like Mel has mentioned in Belgium....you must carry your logbook.(Carte Grise Certificat d'immatriculation as it is called in France)...driving license, insurance, identity card or passport....I am not sure what fine is imposed...

Mel

8. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

You can apply for a temporary V5 from your local DVLA Office (if they still exist anywhere now) which will be acceptable as an alternative.
    If you take along the green slip from the original it should only cost you £3-00 and they can issue it on the spot.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

correct.

the V5 names the registered KEEPER...not the legal owner.

the legal owner could be a finance house or lease company.

10. laneside

laneside Funster

We went through a similar hoop before we set off in September and the above is not spot on according to what DVLA at Preston told us but it does depend on which employee you get as few seem to know what they are doing.

We were told they could not issue a new temporary V5 and then they relented after a bit of a confrontation and consultation. They would only issue a temporary V5 containing the information before the up-rate and not with the new rated information.

We travelled with this and got our daughter to post the new one out to us when it finally arrived about 8 weeks later.

Do not take the above as gospel as I am sure the DVLA employees are clueless with anything out of the norm unless you are very lucky and get an old hand.

11. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Quite right, do not take what I said as gospel because I cannot be sure that every DVLA employee in every DVLA office knows what they're talking about.
    However, I am not relating a story from a friend of a friend etc, etc.
    I actually had to do this personally last May after buying a new motorcycle and having the dealer mess up with the paperwork.
    I was planning to go to France a week or two later so had to go to a DVLA office for a Temporary V5 to be issued.
    My problem was exacerbated by the fact that I hadn't even been given the green slip on delivery.
    DVLA were more than happy to issue the Temp V5 even then but it cost £28 instead of £3 for the privilige.
    Perhaps your situation will be different again given the upgrades that you mention but generally, as long as the vehicle and keeper information is current in their Main Frame System, they can issue a Temporary V5.
    My advice is to talk to them.
    Contrary to popular opinion the local office staff are usually pretty helpful in my experience.

12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I asked for a temp v5 when I had my van uprated. As far as I remember, it only has the barest if details on it, certainly nothing on there that tells you the vehicle weight or tax class. They can only put that info on the new V5 but check they have done so when you get it back. I had to return mine twice because they hadn't updated the new weight, although the revenue weight was correct
    Allan

13. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi I had my last van upgraded and the new V5 didn't take long to arrive so with luck it will arrive, also bear in mind you will only need it if you are pulled up before it can be forwarded on to you . Pete :thumb:

14. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

If stopped in France or Italy you will certainly have to produce the original documents. I know because I exceeded the speed limit in the St Bernard pass between the two countries and when I came out at the other end I was flagged down by both a French and Italian policeman demanding to see them . They also wanted to see the log book for the trailer and it required the services of an interpreter to convince them that we don't have them in the UK and also that I didn't need an HGV licence to drive a 3.5T motorhome. :Doh:

15. debdabble

debdabble Read Only Funster

Thank you

Hi and thanks to all of you who took the time to reply.

The log book has arrived, thank heavens. Now we can get on with our planning to get away immediatley after Christmas.

Debbie

• Like Like x 2
  16. peter marshall

peter marshall

there you go mine didn't take long either enjoy your trip. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb: