Locker Smoke detection (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Fire is the probably the biggest fear I have, I'm sure we all have smoke detectors in our vans but what if a fire broke out in a locker, it could smolder away for hours without being noticed..

Our RV has two high risk belly lockers, one houses the domestic 240 and 12v electrics , the other the chassis electrics, both potential fire risks.

I have installed a smoke detector in each, when I tested they could both be heard quite clearly inside the RV .. I'll rest easier now .. :Smile:

asjs

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
North of England
Funster No
Exp
Hi
Like ScotJimland I have fitted smoke detectors in all my lockers if it contains electric or gas the potential is there for a fire. Detectors only cost about £5.00 each, put that against the cost of your pride and joy and it pales into insignificance. But more importantly how much do you put on the price of life. Detect it before it gets out of control. Being involved in fire detection it just comes as second nature.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Good thinking Jim....you can't be too careful, especially when your RV is your home! :thumb:

Just make sure, when you get back on the road, you don't pull up near any bonfires :roflmto:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Jim

I bet the couple in this nearly new RV wished they had thought of it.

But then, if you're stupid enough to put your BBQ in the bay just after you've cooked dinner then I don't think you'd remember to check the batteries either.

Paul

Attachments

• rvfire1.jpg
    rvfire1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 56
  • rvfire2.jpg
    rvfire2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 50
  • rvfire3.jpg
    rvfire3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 48

Brambles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Tayside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi.
I am not so sure about fitting a smoke detector in the gas locker as it is a hazardous area. You should only fit one that is approved for hazardous areas, can you imagine if the battery worked loose and sparked. I expect there is a regulation somewhere that says you cannot not fit one in gas locker, but ignoring any regulations and just looking at it with common sense is it a wise thing to do, or have any electrical wiring or electrical equipment in the gas locker - I shall throw it open to discussion.
What I have is a gas detector inside the van near the locker location and gas heater, so if a leak occurs and gas migrates from locker into the habitation area I will know about it. Also position is reasonably good if any other gas leaks where to occur from oven or hob etc.
Jon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jon

I agree with that, no point in adding to the risk, LPG lockers should have no electrical equipment that could cause a spark, they should also be sealed from the habitation and vented at the bottom.

Jim

R

Ralph

Deleted User
Good thinking!
I have a large underbed locker that houses battery and all the electrics as well as all the junk we carry. I'll put a detector in there.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back