Lock m out (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Going on our first long trip to France and Spain in Sept using aires etc first time, views on this items and as the Maker also is a Funster do we get a discount (you have to ask)

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
We have them, they are great, worth every penny, we just wish they would invent something for the large heki over the fixed bed, too easy to open.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes he does give a Funster Discount. Window Locks like Lock M Out won't stop a determined burglar breaking into an empty motorhome. But, when using them on all those vulnerable windows in your van, a burglar is much less likely to be able to break in silently. This reduces considerably the likelihood of being robbed while you sleep. For that reason I recommend them (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As much as I like security..... I think the knobs are a bit fiddly to unscrew.

As rare as it is, sometimes its handy to want to get out of a window fast.....

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Interesting. However, much more interested in a device where you could have windows partly open, but secured from the inside, so they cant be opened further from outside. Peace of mind on a hot summers night, and allowing a through draft. (y)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
i have lock-m-out on all my hab windows and they act as an additional visual deterrent and should stop the bent wire method of window opening.
and to answer @Tootles they will work on the second lock position but that is only just open.
i thought at the time they were slightly expensive for what they are but very few alternatives that i could find.
hopefully a scroat seeing these would move on elsewhere but if they really want to break open a window then nothing is going to stop them.
hth

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't think I'd use the screw down ones shown in the video when I left the vehicle unattended. It won't keep them out and will probably cause a lot of damage in an attempt. Great idea though. Germans are good at stuff like that.

Last edited:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I don't think I'd use the screw down ones shown in the video when I left the vehicle unattended. It won't keep them out and will probably cause a lot of damage in an attempt. Great idea though. Germans a good at stuff like that.

I was thinking the same you could come back and the whole window is on the ground :cry:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
A good deterrent would be to install burglar bars on the inside - no, I'm not joking !!!

One of the members of the UK over- landers club (The Silk Route Motorcaravaning Network) used light weight metal tubing fixed horizontally and held in place either side by spring clips. This was fitted to a Hymer.

Only downside might be that the thief might think there was something worth pinching inside and be more determined to break in by another method.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A good deterrent would be to install burglar bars on the inside - no, I'm not joking !!!

One of the members of the UK over- landers club (The Silk Route Motorcaravaning Network) used light weight metal tubing fixed horizontally and held in place either side by spring clips. This was fitted to a Hymer.

Only downside might be that the thief might think there was something worth pinching inside and be more determined to break in by another method.
We looked at the 'Lock-m-out' covers but decided not to get them. Sod's law then dictated that we then got one of our windows forced on holiday at Pisa! :doh:

The burgler didn't get anything though as our dogs were in the camper so the he'd have got a hell of a shock when the noise alerted them ... I bet he didn't half scarper quick!!!

The damage caused was to 3 of the 4 'L' shaped securing handles - the actual ends of them were snapped off (the bit that actually goes over the retainer on the inside) - due to the design of the window with a large 'overlap' purely for cosmetic reasons at the bottom (ie it extends well below the actual window aperture itself) it gave the burglar something to get a good grip on/leverage to pull the window open ... give me flush fitting 'normal size' windows any day!

Whilst the the LMO covers may have made it a bit harder to open, we weren't totally sure if they'd have worked - if they had stopped the clips breaking though we feel that it would have been highly likely that where the handles were secured into the window 'glass' itself would have broken instead, thus causing a lot more damage (and expense) than just the broken handles and making it very difficult to then secure the window afterwards.

I later secured the window with 2 straps (always keep some with me as you never know when you'll need them!), each strap was slotted round one of the bars (that support the window when open) then threaded behind the internal blind casing/surround and tightened - this actually made the window VERY secure, even more so than when it was fully secured when the handles weren't broken!

One reason why we didn't get the LmO covers is that our windows are heavily tinted so you actually wouldn't be able to see the existing black ones from the outside anyway so no 'visual' deterrent - I had mentioned to the LmO seller that they ought to consider doing some in a high-viz colour - although we could spray paint felt that for the price we shouldn't need to do this - we'd have needed at least 4 LmO covers, if not 6.

In hindsight would I have bought the LmO covers? For us with our windows - the answer is still no.

What I am going to do though is put on some horizontal bars, as Wagoneer has mentioned, in fact we've already got some on the rear door windows and the one at the end of the bed which are intended to stop you/things (pillows etc) falling out, but they have a 'deterrent' effect too. I've already got the bars (from Ikea - they're some strong window net ones, not the cheap crappy thing things) so I've just got to get round to fitting them! The benefit of these will be that the dogs won't be able to jump or fall out either! :laughing:

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have Lock em Out fitted to our windows together with a Milenco window alarm.
I know this will not stop a determined thief, but it may deter a "chancer".
Together with a homemade metal bar fitted between the two front doors
and a block to stop the habitation door lock being forced there is not much
more I can do......If they want it after fitting that lot , they can have it!!!!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
We looked at the 'Lock-m-out' covers but decided not to get them. Sod's law then dictated that we then got one of our windows forced on holiday at Pisa! :doh:

The burgler didn't get anything though as our dogs were in the camper so the he'd have got a hell of a shock when the noise alerted them ... I bet he didn't half scarper quick!!!

The damage caused was to 3 of the 4 'L' shaped securing handles - the actual ends of them were snapped off (the bit that actually goes over the retainer on the inside) - due to the design of the window with a large 'overlap' purely for cosmetic reasons at the bottom (ie it extends well below the actual window aperture itself) it gave the burglar something to get a good grip on/leverage to pull the window open ... give me flush fitting 'normal size' windows any day!

Whilst the the LMO covers may have made it a bit harder to open, we weren't totally sure if they'd have worked - if they had stopped the clips breaking though we feel that it would have been highly likely that where the handles were secured into the window 'glass' itself would have broken instead, thus causing a lot more damage (and expense) than just the broken handles and making it very difficult to then secure the window afterwards.

I later secured the window with 2 straps (always keep some with me as you never know when you'll need them!), each strap was slotted round one of the bars (that support the window when open) then threaded behind the internal blind casing/surround and tightened - this actually made the window VERY secure, even more so than when it was fully secured when the handles weren't broken!

One reason why we didn't get the LmO covers is that our windows are heavily tinted so you actually wouldn't be able to see the existing black ones from the outside anyway so no 'visual' deterrent - I had mentioned to the LmO seller that they ought to consider doing some in a high-viz colour - although we could spray paint felt that for the price we shouldn't need to do this - we'd have needed at least 4 LmO covers, if not 6.

In hindsight would I have bought the LmO covers? For us with our windows - the answer is still no.

What I am going to do though is put on some horizontal bars, as Wagoneer has mentioned, in fact we've already got some on the rear door windows and the one at the end of the bed which are intended to stop you/things (pillows etc) falling out, but they have a 'deterrent' effect too. I've already got the bars (from Ikea - they're some strong window net ones, not the cheap crappy thing things) so I've just got to get round to fitting them! The benefit of these will be that the dogs won't be able to jump or fall out either! :laughing:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Interesting, Minxy Girl, I checked out the IKEA website but couldn't find anything relating to heavy duty plastic window mesh. Perhaps you could provide a link.

I've since checked on the Silk Route website and find that the fake bars were actually mounted vertically. Either way, it still allows you to open the window from the inside easily despite the presence of the burglar bars.

Having spent some time in Africa, all houses (mostly bungalow type) were equipped with burglar bars welded to a metal window frame. At least you could have the windows open during hot summer nights without the fear of being disturbed. We couldn't afford the luxury of air conditioning in the 1970's, haha !!!

PS. I'm new on this forum. How do you get @Minxy Girl coming up in blue ? Perhaps it will once I post.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
They wouldn't really get much out of our van (apart from a headache from the internal sirens!) except the tv which we keep stowed away when out of the vehicle

i think keeping the hab blinds shut and a radio on low when out is probably just as good as anything but perhaps the window lock'm'out gizmos might be a bit more security at night when sleeping

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Interesting, Minxy Girl, I checked out the IKEA website but couldn't find anything relating to heavy duty plastic window mesh.
You've misread my post :D ... I said I'd got the bars not mesh ...

I've already got the bars (from Ikea - they're some strong window net ones, not the cheap crappy thing things)

Rods/poles here:

You really need to see them though to test their strength (ie can you easily bend them and are they too heavy).

Something like this one might do:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70117172/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adrian1
Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Now sorted some funster had 12 unused lock m out that did not fit his new motorhome but did fit mine deal done and a saving for me and a sale for Brian just proves what a good site this is for saving money (Also see my post on the motorbike forum) and info.
Thanks again for all your help

Deleted User

Hi @Minxy Girl

We have similar windows by the sounds of it, must admit never been fully happy about how securely they fit. Not had any problems in UK but now the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and crossing everything, fingers toes we should be able head overseas this winter. Your post has got me thinking about those windows again.
Can I ask how you have/are fixing the rods to make bars? Also did you take a pic of the straps you secured window with, so can get idea of what to take for worse case.
With the dogs hopefully we would only ever suffer damage like yourself rather than gaining entry.

Thanks

Lin :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi @Milliemobile

Sorry for not responding sooner! I'll be sorting out the bars at some point but at the mo I'm busy with other stuff but will let you know what I eventually do! If I remember I'll put the straps on the windows and take some photos, probably next week though.

Deleted User
Hi @Milliemobile

Sorry for not responding sooner! I'll be sorting out the bars at some point but at the mo I'm busy with other stuff but will let you know what I eventually do! If I remember I'll put the straps on the windows and take some photos, probably next week though.
Great thanks,
Not able to use van at moment anyway so no rush.

Lin :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back