local radio warnings SPAIN!

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by SC 05 OUT, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

any body else hear the warnings about driving to Spain on lacal radio stations yeasterday?

It must have been on aboput 6 times, telling people to be carfull driving into Spain becasue of the "flag you down robberies" and "fuel staiton distraction robbieries"

I reconised the voices of the actors used, but forgot them now:Doh:

glad Im still working now and cant go:cry:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I will take my chances on Sunday :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 9
  3. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

This has been going on for years, it was the same here years ago, so a friend of a friend told me. :Wink: His friend was related to Dick Turpin :Rofl1:

You will be telling us, that you get gassed when your asleep next. :Doh:

Any way it would be awful if everyone went to Spain over winter, its full to bursting already ! :Laughing: Bob.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

[HI]What local radio?[/HI] - I live in Spain and have heard nothing and there is nothing on the Ex Pat web sites. Spoke to local policeman this morning in village here and he states they have had no reports....... If people use common sense ( many do not!!!!! ) then Spain is no different to any other place in EU...........

• Like Like x 2
  5. bobandjanie

Your surrounded by bandits John, I don't know how you can live there.:Laughing:

Roll on the 24th, and we are on our way, maybe have a bandit hunting rally. :Rofl1: Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

my local radio, the here in my lounge:Rofl1:, it was magic AM, the piont I was making was I never heard it being broadcast before? never seen it in the papers?

why are "they " broadcasting it?

7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well thats for you to find out as it's your local radio.

I know for a fact having spoken to local Spanish policeman not 50 minutes ago ( he checked their computer system ) that your local radio is "talking bollocks"................................ [HI]Sorry but I find this scare mongering and have no time for it. [/HI]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 12
  8. keith

keith Funster

Bad news sell newspapers! Do journalists lie? Short news day.
    They make it up as they go along, they have to say something and the worst the news the better it seems to be to journalists.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bobandjanie

I think, us being country folk, are more aware because we need more space around us !
    And if someone is rubbing shoulders puts you on high alert. :Eek!:

But city folk are in the situation every day, being very close in crowded places. :Eek!:

But for us, it would be the same in London, Paris, Rome, New York, or Barcelona, we are on alert because we are not use to being in places like that, and they are all the same, and would not be surprised to find someone else's hand in my pocket in that situation. :BigGrin:

You just prepare yourself and if it happens, it was going to happen anyway.:Sad:

If someone is geared up to do a robbery, nothing you do will stop them, unless your prepared for them, like us, we sit on guard with a gun. :Wink::Rofl1: Bob.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We have bandits robbing us every day in UK

The government :Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 7
  11. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

It has been on UK radio station for a while, I have definatly heard it earlier in the year.. Also was some ads in newspapers at the start of the summer...
    The robberies have been happening for a while and as we are motorhome people and in therory in a vehicle more than most, we tend to hear about it more via the forums etc.
    There are a lot I guess who travel in their cars to holiday homes and either do the drive in summer or for the winter break.... So maybe it's to alert those.

In 18 months I have done the Spain run in motorhome and car 6 times. Never any issues BUT am always cautious and try to be aware.......:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I was approached by 2 very suspicious characters in a Spanish motorway aire a few years ago. They chased after my van as I made a speedy getaway.

I later realised they were trying to alert me to a diesel leak that was spewing onto the road, which I had noticed but thought was connected to the cab air con:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  13. billkce

billkce Funster

Yet more unwarranted scaremongering.:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

'Flag down' attacks. Take photographs, of the perps. and their vehicle. Although, if you avoid motorways there won't be many places they can pull alongside.

'Distraction' robberies. Be alert and avoid filling up on motorways. Plan your refills carefully and you may not even have to stop for fuel in Spain, at least on your initial journey.

15. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

In defence of the OP, he/she heard something on the radio that may be useful for us to know. No need to castigate them for trying to be helpful.

• Like Like x 19
  16. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

You may not have noticed I put quotes around "robbery" I don't lthink they happan regularly either. I was just posting on the radio broadcast warnings. I was surprised by them and thought it amusing that such an item sbould be public service announcement. They were actually quite funny but it al has gone over your head. I found your reply a tad over the top
    Too much sun perhaps

• Like Like x 2
  17. keith

keith Funster

Please be positive about this, it does happen, it happened to us although it was in Portugal so don't imagine it's a Spanish thing.

I would not stop, I just felt nothing was wrong with our MH so kept going so please remember it does happen and it may be you next.

We have toured France, Spain and Portugal many times in the last 8 years and only once have seen this happen but even once is too many.

It is good to be reminded of these things, as the more we travel the more complacent we may get and that is when we can slip up and be targets for these scumbags.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I thought that was well put Keith....:thumb:....it may or may not Happen..who is 100%...you may have travelled 999 times without a problem " BUT " that 1 out of 1000.... is one to many.....there are people out there that tea-leaf ...in all countries..so just be careful... that is all the man is putting across ..be it a funster or a radio announcer

• Like Like x 4
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

These flag down robberies can happen anywhere. A couple in their 80's two doors away from us went to France a few years ago with friends, they were flagged down, robbed and one of them beaten up.
    We have been to All over Europe, never had a problem anywhere.
    We were in Corsica a few years ago and planned to drive from one end of the island to the other and were warned of bandits in the hills who stop you at gunpoint. We went anyway and never saw anybody around, armed or not.
    Bad news is always good news, wherever you are.
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

OP:
    any body else hear the warnings about driving to Spain on lacal radio stations yeasterday?

It must have been on aboput 6 times, telling people to be carfull driving into Spain becasue of the "flag you down robberies" and "fuel staiton distraction robbieries"

I reconised the voices of the actors used, but forgot them now

glad Im still working now and cant go

Where in your OP in your words "thought it amusing that such an item should be public service announcement" is it amusing!!!! and then your state "glad Im still working now and cant go" - so there for: firstly you should have researched it before posting it to SCARE people and secondly I do NOT believe I was over the top ( I get loads of sun, so that is not a problem ) as many have "said thanks" for my post, so therefore only stating what others are thinking!!!!!
    [HI]This is NOT AIMED at YOU[/HI] - I only ask [HI]PLEASE[/HI] that other's do some research BEFORE posting things that have no truth/fact and only lead to spoiling other MH'ers quality time.