Local MH Dealer visit... (1 Viewer)

graham_bell

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
We visited our "local" MH dealer this afternoon. Don't know if it's me, but we live in Essex and their aren't many about?

It's the first time the better half has been inside a MH.. We liked the Swift Escape 686 (rear lounge) very much on the lines of the Elddis Autoquest 180 (I'm becoming fluent in MH-speak BTW). Also liked the look of an Ace Firenze too, although I couldn't find a salesman to open it up, actually one I did find was busy! These might be a bit out of our budget though :cry:

We're going to sell the car and the caravan to buy a MH. Typical though isn't it. The car has needed new discs and brake pads as well as tyres (not cheap!).. And I have to replace the lock on the caravan. (I'm just waiting for the lock to arrive from Germany) Flippin 'eck we'll end up with nothing left to spend on an MH.

I am getting impatient though, we've booked Longleat CC park in May / June and will use our caravan. Then the car and caravan are being advertised as soon as I get back. I can't wait! Obviously can't decide on what we'll buy yet as I don't know how much I'll get for what we're selling... I'm doing loads of research, so by the time May comes I should have a good base knowledge on models, layouts and prices.

Graham

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Good luck with your search.......it'll be great fun.
It only took us 2 years to find ours!!!:thumb::thumb:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hi good luck in your quest to buy/sell for both i have used caravan finder.com and to buy and sell found them excellent BTW. they advertise caravans motorhomes etc etc. AL.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Graham - have fun in your quest but first decide on how you're going to use your MH. I'm assuming it won't be your only transport so the size won't be a massive problem, however, if it is then you might want to think of something smaller so you can use it more easily.

Being a caravanner you'll already have a good knowledge of how things work so that's one plus point.

Just some things for you to think about:

How do you holiday?: Do you intend to leave your MH on a site all the time and go off site by other means? Or do you intend to take your MH with you each day? If the former then a larger van won't be a massive problem, if the latter, I would suggest you don't want to 'go large'!

Layout: Have a good mooch round all the various types of layout and decide how you'd use each one. How you now use your caravan might be the same, or completely different, to how you'd use a MH.

Be sure that a MH is definitely the right thing for you - they look nice and are appealing but if you still intend to 'holiday' etc as you do with a caravan it might NOT be the best thing for you to change.

OP
OP
graham_bell

graham_bell

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks for the replies. i had a look at caravanfinder, looks ideal, not too expensive to advertise either..:thumb:

One of the reasons for us looking at an MH is to give us the flexibility of not staying on a site for 2 weeks. It's hassle to up sticks when tugging a caravan about, although i appreciate when we get to a site we won't have a car! Something I read in a magazine last months was; "Get a MH the size you're comfortable with, not the biggest you can afford" or something like that anyway :RollEyes: I'm keeping that in mind..

We like a rear lounge but need seat belts in the rear for 2 grand children, so it looks like a rear lounge and front dinette would suit us best. This of course limits how "small" the MH can be, looks like it's about 7m, which is shorter than our car and caravan at the moment...I'm just wondering how many quaint French villages I'd fit through :Doh:

All our holidays in the last 4 years have been in the caravan, we have a certain dislike of all the messing about with travelling my plane. We'd like to travel about a bit more under our own steam and aren't really big on staying in Hotels either, so an MH seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I've actually been surprised how difficult it is to decide on a layout, let along decide on a manufacturer and dealer etc. However, these forums certainly help with the research.

Thanks for the feedback so far..

Graham

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hiya Graham

You are quite right, not a lot of choice in Essex, but nothing stopping you bringing your caravan along to some of the motorhome shows, theres a few coming up. Have a look in the rallies and meets forum.

Peterborough will be the nearest show for you and its the last weekend in April. Think about it, you can meet some motorhome fun members, as quite a few are going. It will also give you a lot more choice and a chance to speak to both new and seasoned motorhomers which will hopefully give you far more information.

Whatever you do, make sure you try the beds out before buying - some are far smaller than others, not all ovens are the same size either.

Jim our ringleader sells some good books that may help you too.

Good luck in your search.

Yorkie

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Driffield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
you could try px'ing your car and caravan, but i would deffo try the motorhome shows. we looked at a mizar gtl at the lincoln show last year and one of the stalls (Fullers) knocked £3000 off at the drop of an hat....we did'nt take the offer up, but in the 18 months we were searching were happy with what we found in the end.

happy hunting and good luck

Les

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi Graham,

Take a trip over the water to Kent / Sussex. There are some really good dealers this side of the Thames and it will be a nice day out for you.

Based purely on my own experience I found the best selections and warmest welcomes as Johns Cross (see their advert on this forum) and TC Motorhomes in Broadstairs, Kent - ask for Shane!

Both have got a good stock selection on their websites.

TJ

OP
OP
graham_bell

graham_bell

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Shows are a good idea, hadn't thought of that. I had noticed the other side of the Thames seems to have better choice of dealers! But aren't they a dodgy lot south of the river :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Heard good reports about John Cross on forums, so they're in my favourites..

Part ex'ing might be troublesome. Firstly with the price I'd get, roughly speaking we'd use the "value" of the car to buy a MH and the "value" of the caravan to replace the car.

Not sure dealers would be over keen on doing a car - MH swap :roflmto:. After all, they are there to make money, not necessarily just to make my life a little easier! Also as the caravan is German, I'm not convinced I'd get what I wanted for it as a part ex. I can already see the drawing of air through dealers teeth when I suggest either.

Graham

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hi
We live in Essex. Theres a caravan/motorhome dealer called Bentley Leisure is on the B1027 its between Clacton and Colchester, when we are not using the van :cry:which is very rare we have storage there. Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I used to live in Essex, now in Suffolk , the only ones I know you have most probably visited

Cranham Caravans in Upminster

East Coast Leisure Baslidon

Countryside at Chelmsford

Pullingers at Hallsrtead

Eastern Caravans & Motor Caravans
Dines Cottage
Flag Hill
Great Bentley
Colchester
Essex
CO7 8RF

and