Living with dogs in your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I've got to ask. I've noticed a lot of you have more than one dog, how do you manage in your MH. Travelling, sleeping etc.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Ours travel on a cover on the passenger seats behind the cab with seatbelts connected to their harnesses - they sit quietly on the journey looking out of the window until we pull up on site, then they start 'yapping'.

Night time they sleep in their beds on the floor in the front hab area. We try to keep them as far away as possible due to the deep sleep snoring,,,,,:roflmto:

Farting can be an issue. :Angry:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our dog has a harness which plugs into a rear seat belt, so I suppose we could have two dogs as there are two seatbelts. She sleeps on a dog bed in the drivers footwell with the seat reversed. This is her choice and I would have thought there were more comfortable places with less pedals, but it is an enclosed area and possibly reminiscent of her bed at home, which is in a cage (with the door open).
Owing to being a European van with the steering on the UK side there is no door on the drivers side, only on the passenger side which may be why she doesn't like that side.

Last edited:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Our four travel with us - generally two on harnesses and they lie on their bed between the front seats. The other two travel in their cages in the garage. We also have had them in their cages in the MH itself but that is a bit of a bind. We do have harnesses for them all and are thinking that when we get away next time we will try having all four on the harnesses with two being clipped into the travel seats in the lounge area.

They are all very happy with this and Victor and Jack sleep at night in the garage with Maeve and Rory sleeping on the bed with us.

Kath and Howie

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Snoring can be a problem our 2 Pugs can be noisy and along with the wife snoring it's a wonder i get any sleep at all.

Mind you she says the same about me.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Farting can be an issue. :Angry:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Poor dogs, leave a window open so it doesn't bother them too much...

We have two dogs, they travel just behind the front seats and sleep on the floor at night on their beds between to two side sofas. At least thats where they are when we go to sleep, generally, the beagle has jumped up on the passenger seat.

Allan

Last edited:
D

DM14742

Deleted User
We manage with the dog laying across our legs for most of the night, if I need to get up for anything:winky: my legs are usually numb from the knee down and I have to drag myself across the floor to get to the ablutions where I pull my half asleep carcass into the standing position only to belt my head on the sticky out mirror Linda insists we have above the toilet.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I've got to ask. I've noticed a lot of you have more than one dog, how do you manage in your MH. Travelling, sleeping etc.

Seeing as Kath missed the opportunity: Very well thank you; I drive, so does Kath. The dogs don't. We all sleep very well, thank you. ::bigsmile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hello Dawn,
My name is Alfie. I travel between the seats in my bed or stretch out if I please. My waiting staff have produced a seat belt for me. It is attached to a harness around my chest and the other end clips in the normal manner into the rear seatbelt fixing. It is around 4ft long but stops me getting up the front.
I sleep in same bed but in kitchen area as where I am pictured would be under the bed!
Because I'm well behaved and never bark or play them up, they take me everywhere, even abroad. They walk me around if they are leaving me to let scum know I am inside. They also leave a bowl of water outside as well, to remind the scum I'm there. If there are intruders, I will ask them nicely what their intentions are?
My staff are very kind to me and I love them very much, they even clear up my poo. Humans are generally so nice.

Regards

Alfie

Attachments

• P1060502.jpg
    P1060502.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 130

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Ours have a choice of two beds, one in the garage & one under the dining table.
They will sleep on either as they choose, sometimes together, sometimes seperately.
If it's hot then just on the floor but they would never get on the furniture,at home or away.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Idiot dog jake is in a cage between the dinette seats when travelling and then usually sleeps on a bed between the front driver/passenger seats. I have woken up to find him trying to sneak up but he knows he isn't allowed so mostly doesn't try anymore

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I is Tara Bear... I is working as the foodtaster for Motorhome fun. I is traveling all over the europe and is going skiing in a few days.

I is a big girl weighing in at 10 hooman stones.

When I is travelling I is travelling wherever I is want too, sometimes on the bed but usually between the seats having a kip....if you go to a funster meet you can see me at the bacon butties on a Sunday picking up the pieces....

here is a picture of me.... I is a newfie..

Attachments

• 20130727_182317.jpg
    20130727_182317.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 92

DogShowDiva

Free Member
Dec 28, 2013
Sotogrande
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis
Exp
Since 2004
My two travel in there metal crates in the habitation area whilst traveling.

At night Deli time goes into the garage (turned it into her own bedroom !!! ).. she sleeps in huge Vari kennel in there. Jack sleeps in his fabric crate in the habitation area.

During the day I use a big puppy pen ( 2 put together ) and a Vari kennel in there.. Jack stays in there all day when not walking, playing football or being shown !!!

Deli just chills in her bedroom ... ::bigsmile:

Germanshepherd

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
vw t5 poptop
Exp
since 2000
Dog in mh

Hi I have a German Shepherd, she sleeps at my feet on the bed. My current t4 has no heating I have camped in winter with ice on the inside. Having a big dog keeps me warm.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Dawn,

We only got one dog, Giddy.
When we are driving our little long-haired GSD wears a TÜV approved harness attached to a passengers seat belt-lock. You might say, why TÜV approved, Tuv Approval is an EEC ranking and a necessity to all vehicles manufacturers of cars and motor merchandise. So when we bought the harness we took a tested and approved one rather than a nice looking one. It doesnt give her much room to move but she is fine just lying down just behind the driving seats. She can stand up though if she wants to :ROFLMAO:
When parked you will find her below the table, or outside on a long leash waiting to seduce any one passing by to throw her ball

Regards
Paul and Ineke

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I is Tara Bear... I is working as the foodtaster for Motorhome fun. I is traveling all over the europe and is going skiing in a few days.

I is a big girl weighing in at 10 hooman stones.

When I is travelling I is travelling wherever I is want too, sometimes on the bed but usually between the seats having a kip....if you go to a funster meet you can see me at the bacon butties on a Sunday picking up the pieces....

here is a picture of me.... I is a newfie..
Dont you strap 10 stone of dog in? I would not want that hitting me on the back of the head if i did an emergency stop. :Smile:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Our two yorkies travel in a cage, seat belted into the forward facing seats. They sleep in the cage at night but during the day when not traveling the cage is stored in the garage and they are usualy curled up on my driving seat lol.::bigsmile:ps just trying to train the cat ,finding it more and more difficult to leave her behind as we are starting to plan longer trips .Shirley is frightend we could loose her at new destinations. Any tips would be great lol

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we travel with 3 staffies, who treat the van as their other home
travelling all 3 are in hanesses cliped to seat belts, 2 in the dinette and a third clip bolted to the floor (bought from vehicle dismantler on ebay). they have 3ft long leads with a seatbelt clip by the handle so can get on the bed or sleep on the floor but cant get to the cab

at night they take it in turns who will sleep on the bed with me with the other 2 on a duvet on the floor. if its hot they sleep in the cab or on the vinyl by the kitchen

never had a major problem with the dogs whilst travelling for years and wouldnt be without them

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Never took any of our dogs in the MH yet, have a family relative come and live here to look after them all:Smile: hope to take the 2 small dogs at some point in the future :RollEyes:

Silvia

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Only very slightly OT:

I'm always amazed when I see at shows the family who take three (or maybe four) great danes and (I think) a border collie around with them in their motorhome.

I've chatted to them a couple of times, and always pet the dogs, who are fantastic, but I can never get rid of the vision of every space in the van being taken up by the dogs, and the humans standing hunched up in a corner. Just one of the dogs would take up a bed or double seat on a dinette. But 4? (Or is it 5?) :whatthe:

Wonder if they're funsters? Don't think I've seen a badge on them when we've met.

Steve :Smile:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning

Well it works quite well in our van Dawn, while I take one for a walk the other one does the washing up and tidying! :ROFLMAO:

OMG What have I said:Doh:

Dave x

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ours travels generally between the front seats and is excellent while travelling. we have a harness that clips to a safety belt clip which i have only used when road conditions were "challenging"!:Eeek:

we also have a "tommy tippie" type water bowl so there is always water available while we travel.

he sleeps under the dinette in his normal bed at night and sometimes while we travel.:thumb:

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
We have 2 Scotties. They travel on their waterproof beds on the floor in the lounge area behind the front seats, 'plugged' into seatbelt attached to their harnesses. They sleep on the same beds often in the very front of the van behind the driver and passenger seats when they've been swivelled around once we are on site. At home they are allowed up on the furniture, but not in the MH, we are very MH proud! My husband has made a dog gate based on one I saw being sold online, so we can have the habitation door open if it's a hot day. If we are sitting outside the van they are usually attached to the MH via retractable lead and coupler attached to their harnesses. If they are at all noisy while they are outside, they are put into the MH straight away. Being quite strict with them from the start has meant they are actually better behaved when we are away in the MH than when we are at home!:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
something worthy a mention and it is a negative!

when its wet and you need to wipe the dog with his towels, then in this sort of weather where do you dry them...:Doh:

not only do you have a dog smelling like a wet wooley carpet!:Sad:

but

smelly towels you cant dry.:shout:

all that said, a small inconvenience for the satisfaction we have walking and comfort from him.:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
When wet and muddy a dri towel bought from the NEC last year worth every penny, open towel out, it has a zip along two sides, lay flat put dog in the middle and zip up, half an hour later a clean dry dog, and the towel dries quickly being microfibre.
Only one dog in Mh three if in caravan , no problem then.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
something worthy a mention and it is a negative!

when its wet and you need to wipe the dog with his towels, then in this sort of weather where do you dry them...:Doh:

not only do you have a dog smelling like a wet wooley carpet!:Sad:

but

smelly towels you cant dry.:shout:

all that said, a small inconvenience for the satisfaction we have walking and comfort from him.:thumb:
I've just bought an electric towel rail :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back