Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Ok I have only had my van for a year and not been to any hot climates in it yet, it was retro fitted with air-con at an astronomic price of £2500, added to that it also had an inverter fitted, this means in theory you can wild camp and if you want use the air-con whilst driving, that we have done and very effective it was but would I pay for such an instalment myself....No! In my experience the only real advantage using it whilst driving was rear passengers can keep cool so pointless if just travelling as a couple as many vans have integral air-con, if not they do have windows. As for the inverter, it is located under the bonnet and you must switch it off when not driving as it can drain the driving battery very quickly. Reading another thread a Dyson blown air fan would be my recommendation, but not much use if you don't have hook-up.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are some 12v fans that are quite good and not noisy unlike the basic ones car accessory shops sell. Use little power. We only have dash aircon and have never felt the need for anything more.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When we bought our current van it already had habitation aircon fitted. We've been to Morocco and done one winter in Southern Spain in the van, but we've never found it necessary to use it. It's much easier, and faster, to cool the van down using the roof vents and windows if it's hot whilst you've been out, to draw the blinds and fit the external screens if you are in really hot conditions, rather than shut all the doors, windows and vents and wait for the air on unto to do its stuff (in my opinion). I have switched the unit on to make sure it works from time to time, but glad I didn't shell out for the fitting. Wouldn't be without cab aircon though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back