Living in a Motorhome Beats paying rent. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
M

Morpheuz

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
n0Ob
Thanks everyone, quite a response, my eyes are sore :)

Interesting read with so many takes on the subject, I agree with having a house, (be it friends or reletives) down as where we live. I love the idea of having our own little box thats maintained and made to be warm for winter and efficient, cassete toilets and stuff, I know about and with the other problems all have soloutions, however it sounds like the soloutions arnt always there.

Let me get a thank you in quick, I will say I forgot about doctors and things, a new light has definately been shed, however it still seems like a viable option, as said by most here, it can be cheaper, and I like freedom. Maybe thats the draw... I'm always out on my 125 trying to loose civilization.

Someone mentioned travellers, just as my gf has, she seems to think people will think were poor and we'll be "like them wierd Itinerant people".

I actually took slight offence to this as I'd have thought having a bf with Tourettes would have tought her not to judge... she wants to look rich by living in a house we wouldnt own.... that makes no sense to me whatsoever, I hate knowing such a huge thing like a home is owned by someone else.

The 20k bit was worked out by a quick browse through autotrader, saw nothing that looked big or in good enough condition for under 20k, but as said it was a quick browse and with american mansions on wheels being in the spotlight all the time I kind of thought 20k was a minimum.

Definately will look into some other places and I'll see whats to offer, but old vehicles, especially large ones like these with a livingspace put me off as things fall apart and sometimes aint gunna ever be what they used to be.

Thanks again, needed these different views on the subject, a forum seemed like the best place and this one sure was!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thanks everyone, quite a response, my eyes are sore :)

Interesting read with so many takes on the subject, I agree with having a house, (be it friends or reletives) down as where we live. I love the idea of having our own little box thats maintained and made to be warm for winter and efficient, cassete toilets and stuff, I know about and with the other problems all have soloutions, however it sounds like the soloutions arnt always there.

Let me get a thank you in quick, I will say I forgot about doctors and things, a new light has definately been shed, however it still seems like a viable option, as said by most here, it can be cheaper, and I like freedom. Maybe thats the draw... I'm always out on my 125 trying to loose civilization.

Someone mentioned travellers, just as my gf has, she seems to think people will think were poor and we'll be "like them wierd Itinerant people".

I actually took slight offence to this as I'd have thought having a bf with Tourettes would have tought her not to judge... she wants to look rich by living in a house we wouldnt own.... that makes no sense to me whatsoever, I hate knowing such a huge thing like a home is owned by someone else.

The 20k bit was worked out by a quick browse through autotrader, saw nothing that looked big or in good enough condition for under 20k, but as said it was a quick browse and with american mansions on wheels being in the spotlight all the time I kind of thought 20k was a minimum.

Definately will look into some other places and I'll see whats to offer, but old vehicles, especially large ones like these with a livingspace put me off as things fall apart and sometimes aint gunna ever be what they used to be.

Thanks again, needed these different views on the subject, a forum seemed like the best place and this one sure was!

Check your driving licence.

You can drive a Motorhome up to 3500kg laden weight (MAM) on your Category B car driving licence.

You need C1 to drive a Motorhome/RV over 3500kg MAM up to 7500kg MAM
You need C (HGV) to drive over 7500kg MAM

You only have the C1 (C1+E to tow a trailer over 750kg) if you got your licence before 1997 or have taken a test for that category since.

You need to check the MAM of the vehicle you intend to purchase.

If you live full time in a Motorhome or long term in one you should have Full Timing Insurance. If you do not disclose the fact that you are full or long terming your insurance could be invalid. 365 day cover is not the same as full timing. The insurance companies are now asking if you plan to live or long term in your Motorhome. If you answer No then that is obtaining insurance by fraudulent means and is a criminal offence. They are now required to ask all relivant questions at each renewal.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back