Living full time in a motorhome with luxuries for a kid

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by clyle, Aug 23, 2015.

1. clyle

clyle

I am planning next year buying a motorhome and living in it full time and staying in and around my local town as I work full time.

I get my 9 year old boy at the weekend and I dont want him not to stay with me anymore because I live in a motorhome and not a house.

My question is I plan on doing fun stuff and travels at the weekends but he will want access to his laptop and xbox at some point over the weekend.

Is it possible to run an xbox and 2 TVs in a motor home is not connected to live power?

I hope this does not seam like a daft question as I am trying to get my head around many of the function of a motorhome before I buy one next year. Ive been reading about solar panels, generators and luxury batteries but I am in now way an electrical engineer and have no understanding of watts, amps and all that other sparky talk, although I feel I need to learn it.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  2. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Tell him to charge his laptop and when it's done it's done. Leave the x box at home. You say u want to have fun time !!! Not each do separate things on 2 tellys!!!
    Kinda defeats the object - IMHO ;)

• Like Like x 6
  3. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Solar in a Geenock winter won't be of any use......you may need a dreaded generator for your needs.

PS 'luxury batteries' are usually called 'leisure ' batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  4. clyle

clyle

Defiantly a fair point BrewerDave. As I am not a motorhomer or even a caravaner I am not sure whats out there for the world of the motorhome owner for weekend breaks, so I am thinking of how to cover my bases so he does not get bored rigid and not want to stay with his old dad in his new toy.

I would love to confidently say to him we are going to have a brill weekend of no tv and xbox but I am unsure whats out there, maybe that's also a part of my research I need to carry out before next year.

• Like Like x 5
  5. clyle

clyle

I dont even think solar panels will be use in Greenock in the summer Bobby22.
    Are the silent generator I see on Amazon really that silent, or are they still noisy just quieter than loud ones?

Ahh I knew they were leisure, I think I still had luxury in me head based on the thread title :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

I agree with @BreweryDave, if you want fun do something other than sitting on TV or game stations. The beauty of motorhomes is the freedom to explore and I bet there are loads of great places within a couple of hours drive from you. Im not suggesting taking him hiking but kayaking, mountain biking or just playing football on a beach he's never been to followed by a BBQ. He can then catch up on his computer or games in the evening whilst you enjoy a beer! look at the rally thread of the Falkirk wheel we went to in July, a great location and loads to do and I guess an hour or so from you?

• Like Like x 4
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think the answer to the original question is yes but it may need a bit of investment. I guess for an X box you need 240 volts so that means either a generator or an inverter. Given the OP will be using his MH as somewhere to stay during the week that suggests he will need power then as well. While a generator might be an answer I wonder, given where he might be staying during the week, whether a generator is practical? I think it would be worth looking at the Battery to Battery (B2B) charging option which would allow the vehicle alternator to give the batteries a good charge in a short space of time. This would be a lot easier to do if wild camping near houses than having a generator outside which could well get pinched if it didn't bring down a few complaints.

So my advice would be a B2B and an inverter. Plus of course solar and do everything to reduce power consumption but some things like blown air heating which will be needed in the colder months are also going to need power so it is always going to be a bit of a struggle and adding a third or even a fourth leisure battery if it can be done would be a good move.

Whilst it is not my place to give this sort of advice a static caravan with proper plumbing and a car plus a tent for adventurous summer weekends away with the lad might be a better solution for the OP's situation.:) A MH is for travelling and touring in, not static living.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BreweryDave

You could always introduce him to the magical mysteries of grey water disposal and chem toilet emptying - that's what I did with mine - whilst I of course supervised with a cold one!

• Like Like x 2
  9. BreweryDave

On a serious note @clyle - we had the same issue. We were FT for 4 years and I was worried what to do when my son came to stay over - but to be honest he adapted, didn't seem to miss his gadgets , and genuinely seemed to enjoy the very different lifestyle his dad had chosen! Little things like flying a kite and knocking a tennis ball about were a bit of a revelation to him with no buttons to press! Plus I taught him how to cook ! Half a day killed by a visit to the shops having thought up a recipe and bought whatever them got him to cook it!
    He will enjoy whatever you do with him as hopefully he will actually enjoy something different. Don't worry!

• Like Like x 3
  10. clyle

clyle

Thanks folks,
    I will defiantly look at the extended battery as I myself will be living in it after a hard days work Monday to Friday and maybe a bit naive with the time and tasks involved in looking after a motor home (im sure I will learn) sitting down to some TV and movies stored on a USB stick to finish off the night.

As for my young son, it will be good to get him off his control pad for a weekend, we already go jogging, do local park run, swim and cycle, helping me clear out poop and maintain the motor home will be his new hobby, im sure the stories he tells his mum and class mates will make him the envy off every young boy.

On that note, what weekly tasks are involved in maintaining a full time motor home, I am hoping to buy 3-5 years old so hopefully not being throwing in at the deep end too quick.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Ashcroft

Peter Ashcroft Funster Life Member

Just a thought, can you plug an EHU at your place of work to top up the battery?

12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Lots of wonderful things to do not far from you - kayaking is great but join a club to get proper instruction and do the BCU tests. The winter is good for kayaking as there is more water if you do river / white water. You might also want to travel to places for weekends, go gold panning, (Scottish) ruby hunting, hiking, cycling - lots and lots of stuff. I also agree with @Allan & Loren about the Falkirk Wheel - and don't forget the Antonine Wall is a short walk for the wheel.

As far as electric is concerned I think an EHU will be essential for you during the week.

• Like Like x 1
  13. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

May be you could go to a rally for a day and meet up with a few funsters there, just to see how they're living/coping with young children. You could SEE and have answers right away to questions you never even thought of yet!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It certainly is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Hello clyle ,solar panels will work in Greenock in summer and give some charge in winter .We pass by your way on our way to Bute and have two young kids,we run our Wii on 12 v ,and wouldn't be with out it for the rainy days ,however also carry an inflatable kayak and fishing rods to keep them busy.
    If you can't run an x box directly off 12 v a cheap inverter will make it work.A cheap aerial and free-view tv will get you all of your normal programmes and if you run your engine or travel to and from work in your van a b2b charger will keep your batteries topped up .
    The key is having a good battery bank at least 2 or more ,living in Gods country and the weather it gets I'd go for a fully winterised van to make the winters more comfy.
    Once you buy one You can try it all out at Inverkip marina ,a good place to spend the night for free and maybe catch a fish or two!

Good luck

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  16. clyle

clyle

Ive spoke to my kid, he is happy without his xbox if we are having adventures at the weekend, so thats sorted.

No chance of hook at up work unfortunately and the closest caravan park does not take motor home which is less than a mile from work.

During the week I plan to work and keep fit and relax at night with the TV on, I think I will defiantly have to learn about power and try to gain the most so I can live in some comfort.

Does solar panels, good batteries and a generator solve this or will taking the unit for a nice drive top up everything to make it work?

A rally sounds like a great idea and i really need to see what is out there, I need to go find these exciting things to do as they wont come to me.

17. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Solar in summer and either drive a bit every now and then or run your engine .There are loads of options
    If you must buy a generator prepare for the flack!

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Safe parking, insurance, an address, medical services and many other things mean you have to solve a lot of problems to full time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi clyle and welcome to Motorhome fun, lots of advice on your original question, you don't have to be a electrician to sort things out, if you are going to go full timing there are a lot of questions to answer as you don't have your van yet , if you are full timing you will need to make sure you have a good pay load, if you are quite young you need to check that your driving licence covers you for the size of motorhome you buy.
    Then you need to make sure you have adiquate solar panels and battery power, find a good local caravan/motorhome dealer and price having them fitted, chances are that a second hand van will have them fitted any way.
    Keep asking questions it's better to ask them before you buy than after and find out that something is not quite right.

:welc:

20. BreweryDave

....But they are ALL solveable(y)
    TBH - this forum will be the answer to most if not all of the potential problems and pitfalls - have a good old search around, especially on the Fulltimers section.

• Like Like x 2