Living by the coast (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We have a new Burstner due for delivery next month (hurrah). We also have our house on the market, and are planning to move to a bungalow, which will be close to the sea. Is the salty air likely to cause surface damage to our new precious, what is the best protection to apply?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
When we lived 500 yards from the sea in Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex I noted that the brake discs on our cars suffered greatly from the salty sea air & in fact anything made of iron or steel that was inadvertently left outside soon started to rust.

Can't advise on protection I'm afraid.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We lived by the sea with our new Autosleeper for 3 years. All I did was wax the body and alloy wheels with Autoglym every few months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have lived close to the sea most of my life and found if you keep your vehicles clean and protected with wax etc corrosion is minimised

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Lived a few hundred yards from Chichester Harbour for the last 11 years and have not noticed any difference although I was only half a mile away for the previous 16 years.
Would think that you would only have problems if you were close to the beach and had the sea mist coming over.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are about 200yds from the beach. Generally no major problems but if you have security locks or other add-ons fitted take them off and make sure the cut outs have been sealed properly. We have had minor corrosion around security locks and for that reason didn't bother with them on the new van.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I lived next to the sea in my last house & despite being on the west coast of Scotland with predominately south westerly winds & gales being frequent, I didn't have any real problems with corrosion on vehicles. On really windy days I could taste the salt in the air as I walked to work, but a decent coat of wax polish offered considerable protection for my vehicles.

On a different, but related cause for concern, I really don't wish to rain on your parade, but I see people getting excited about the idea of living by the sea & they appear to think its a positive thing, but what I don't hear is anyone being nervous about rising sea levels due to global warming. People in Britain appear to have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to this issue. I really do wonder what it'll take before the penny goes clang.

London powers that be have realised that a further Thames barrier will need to be built to protect the city from major flooding. Who's going to pay for that? The good old tax payer, that's who. I for one would let the stinking hole sink.
Don't take my word for it, just browse the link below to see what's happening, its here now & beginning to show its power, but still Nero fiddles whilst Rome burns.

I'd really like to be wrong on this up & coming problem, but the more I see the more I worry. My own daughter moved from inland Scotland to Clacton on sea & from what I can work out, this area might be one of the first to go under, Jaywick deals with potential floods every time there's a prevailing wind with a high tide, yet still people ignore this why?

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...ising-too-fast-for-thames-barrier-799303.html

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I lived next to the sea in my last house & despite being on the west coast of Scotland with predominately south westerly winds & gales being frequent, I didn't have any real problems with corrosion on vehicles. On really windy days I could taste the salt in the air as I walked to work, but a decent coat of wax polish offered considerable protection for my vehicles.

On a different, but related cause for concern, I really don't wish to rain on your parade, but I see people getting excited about the idea of living by the sea & they appear to think its a positive thing, but what I don't hear is anyone being nervous about rising sea levels due to global warming. People in Britain appear to have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to this issue. I really do wonder what it'll take before the penny goes clang.

London powers that be have realised that a further Thames barrier will need to be built to protect the city from major flooding. Who's going to pay for that? The good old tax payer, that's who. I for one would let the stinking hole sink.
Don't take my word for it, just browse the link below to see what's happening, its here now & beginning to show its power, but still Nero fiddles whilst Rome burns.

I'd really like to be wrong on this up & coming problem, but the more I see the more I worry. My own daughter moved from inland Scotland to Clacton on sea & from what I can work out, this area might be one of the first to go under, Jaywick deals with potential floods every time there's a prevailing wind with a high tide, yet still people ignore this why?

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...ising-too-fast-for-thames-barrier-799303.html

Happy days,
if it rises another couple of feet I will have a dock side home and be able to moor the boat up in my garden :D:D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We found if you have Aluminium window frames and steel hinges, salt sets up a reaction tween the two that ultimately corrodes the Aluminium.

BUT! you have no need to worry with a new (ish) M/H:LOL:

All you have to worry about is Seagull's whoopzee which is very acidic:hi5: :rofl::rofl:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Happy days,
if it rises another couple of feet I will have a dock side home and be able to moor the boat up in my garden :D:D

Bugger just realised that if I have a boat moored at my place I won't be able to park my motors there.
Will take that back, global warming is a bad thing:happy:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Bugger just realised that if I have a boat moored at my place I won't be able to park my motors there.
Will take that back, global warming is a bad thing:happy:

Time for the Amphicar to make a reappearance. This time with modern engines & improved performance, like a speedboat on water & a sports car on road. Oh & better looking, come to think of it, how cool would it be to have an Amphimotorhome? (y)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicar

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We will be moving to a seafront property in a couple of months time, fingers crossed, so will wash and polish regularly, and the mhome :D
Worth using ACF50 corrosion protection spray on locks and metal surfaces if stood up for long periods, recommended by @old-mo a while back. (y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We will be moving to a seafront property in a couple of months time, fingers crossed, so will wash and polish regularly, and the mhome :D
Worth using ACF50 corrosion protection spray on locks and metal surfaces if stood up for long periods, recommended by @old-mo a while back. (y)

I use ACF 50 on my motorbikes through the winter and think it is about the best stuff available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back