Little Gem, Isle of Wight

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by 2spritelyislanders, Jul 12, 2016.

1. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

:smiley: Been looking for a site to take granddaughters to in summer holidays for a few nights. Wanted to do some old fashioned(I.e. no clubs, swimming pools, play areas or other amusements) camping so looked at 5 van sites and found Pickpockets in the historic vilage of Newtown which is 10mins from our front door and that's taking the scenic route!!. It's a C&CC site and apart from a loo in a rustic little shed no other amenities (it has usual waste disposal of course :smiley:). There is, however, bird and insect life in abundance and red squirrels pay regular visits to the feeders dotted about. The site is adjacent to the National Trust nature reserve and the harbour and creek are host to lots of native and visiting birds. All in all a little cracker of a site if you want to just chill out amongst nature or are more active and want to walk or cycle through some stunning countryside. We didn't realise we had this on our doorstep despite regularly walking our dogs in the area and will definitely be using it for short breaks in between our longer trips. If anyone is tempted to visit don't forget to book through C&CC to get the discount on ferry prices. The site is about 20 mins from Yarmouth or 30 from Cowes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@2spritelyislanders - I suspect you know this already but the little village of Newtown used to have 2 members of parliament! I was born on the Island and lived there for 18 years - and have only visited Newtown twice - shame on me!

3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Doh.... I thought this was a thread on varieties of lettuce!!!:(

Glad to hear of your discoveries though. :)

4. 2spritelyislanders

2spritelyislanders Funster

Lettuce pray that others don't have salads on their minds and miss this post ::bigsmile:

• Funny Funny x 1