Lite bike lock in production- may be of interest (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think you are over-egging it by saying that I 'shot you down', I just disagreed with the way you were having a go at them ... however I can certainly oblige if you so wish! :sneaky:

Lara-Croft-tomb-raider-2833243-1680-1050.jpg
With the greatest respect @Minxy Girl your argument was shot to pieces when you said

... all it needed was a little 'nudge' from me to Matt at Litelok and hey-presto he's emailed you lot ... (y)

That was two months ago, when they were promising to deliver in March 2016

Then they changed their story again and promised to deliver in April 2016

Rather than accuse me of 'over egging' my comments, maybe you should accept that you've been left with egg on your face, having defending this bunch of amateurs

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert do as I did get your money back and move on 'ain't worth the stress.
Thank you! - I already applied for a refund a couple of days ago and await getting my cash back.
I hope that no Funsters will leave it too long before applying for a refund from Paypal and lose their money

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With the greatest respect @Minxy Girl your argument was shot to pieces ....
that's actually NOT what you wrote earlier ... you said ...

Like I said, before being shot down by @Minxy Girl
... not the other way round ... make your mind up please as to what you mean! I get enough of this sort of confusion from hubby so don't need any more! :LOL:

Rather than accuse me of 'over egging' my comments, maybe you should accept that you've been left with egg on your face, having defending this bunch of amateurs
Er, no, you've been left with egg on your face as you're contradicting yourself!!!! :LOL:

You seem to have a real 'hatred' for them which I can't quite fathom but that's fine, you're entitled to feel as you wish ... just because YOU believe they are amateurs, and worse, doesn't mean that we have to agree with you - you jumped on them like a giant kangaroo before anyone knew how things would work out and it was that which I wasn't happy about.

However, they ARE delivering their products and there appears to be quite a few people who are very pleased with them - can you point me to where the 'negative' reviews are so I can have a shuftie?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
However, they ARE delivering their products and there appears to be quite a few people who are very pleased with them - can you point me to where the 'negative' reviews are so I can have a shuftie?

Here you go
From investors on Kickstarter who were expecting their locks since August 2015

kickstarter.com/projects/189084529/litelok-lightweight-flexible-and-super-secure-bike/comments

"Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
How about receiving the lock...
On March 24th i sent out asking and this is the response.

Hi Ron

Don't worry we haven't forgotten you - apologies for the delay - it's
taking longer than we thought to get them out but we are making good
progress. Please be patient and look out for your tracking number.

Best wishes, Neil

Pretty patient. Now over a month later...still looking for that tracking number"

received mine today.
it is quite huge yes. and seems quite stirdy.
but carrying this thing is just really awkward. without a backpack to put it in, there is no way to carry this lock in a smart way on your bike or on your belt or around your waist (it is 20cm too small for that - would have been nice).
after all: 1 year wait wasnt worth it.
Pure honesty: I prefer my ulock."

I got my Litelok a few days ago (Germany / Pledge number 2096). I'm disappointed with the following issues, ordered by priority:
1) The key does not work smoothly (neither of the 3 keys). Sometimes the key blocks halfway either while inserting or while turning it. This feels like "made in China" and not like a high quality lock mechanism. That's very annoying because I don't want to lose my time while fiddling with the key.
2) It requires both hands and a bit muscle power when connecting both ends with each other. You can't them simply stick together like an U-lock because you have to *bend* the Litelok strap which is quite rigid.
3) The coating is already dammaged after only a few usages. Some filaments come out and make loops. That's ugly and may get entangled in sth.
4) The transport straps are ridiculous. It takes much more time to attach the Litelok with these straps than to snap in an U-lock into its plastic holder.
5) It seems that the Litelok becomes easily dirty. There are already some visible dark (grease?) spots on the boa green Litelok.
6) Litelok is bulkier than an U-lock."

Still waiting for twin locks. Getting pretty bored of it now"

Received my twin locks today. Look very sturdy and well made indeed, but this is NO lighter than my Kryptonite D lock that's much easier to slip into my belt.
I'm quite surprised how weighty it feels and of course takes up much more room. (Yes I understand it's probably more tamper proof after 5mins)
Partly because of the arduous wait, I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed."

I live in London and received my lock. It's not as light as I'd expected and the shape means it's more difficult to carry on a bike or in a bag than a D-lock or chain. It's easier to fit around railings etc to secure your bike. However, on balance I wouldn't recommend this over a D lock."

It's been asked many times before, but still goes unanswered: In which order are the locks dispatched? Would be nice to be able to somehow calculate a estimated date of delivery by myself, since you obviously cannot.
I do need a lock by mid-may. The way this project goes, I suppose I need to buy yet another lock to be on the safe side. Very unsatisfying!"

More bland assurances that provide no answers.
Neil: how about answering a simple question? How is the order of producing and despatching locks to backers being decided? You've been asked this a number of times by a number of people. Will you actually answer the question?
I'm losing patience with your continued failure to provide very basic information."

I think people have been extremely patient. The complete lack of information isn't helping the situation.

Several people (myself included) have asked more than once how the order in which Liteloks are being sent out to backers is being decided. It appears to be completely random. This question has not been answered - instead we are just given bland assurances.

Perhaps Neil might answer that question this time, in his promised 'informative update' today. I, for one, will not be holding my breath."

Another fake project...."

Oh Lord...

Another bland assurance and no real information. How about an answer to the question I've posed twice about how order of despatch is being decided, Neil?"

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From all the comments you've posted Robert, most of them are about the delivery time, and the weight/size of the lock but, to be honest, it should be obvious from the description etc on the website what it's like so they should have known that BEFORE ordering. Some people are comparing it to a D lock which is, as expected, a lighter product, but if they compared it to a quality bike lock giving the same level of protection then the Litelok WOULD indeed be lighter.

You said:
Some of the investors who have received their locks are also complaining about quality issues
However, only ONE of those you quoted has mentioned any sort of quality issues:
I got my Litelok a few days ago (Germany / Pledge number 2096). I'm disappointed with the following issues, ordered by priority:
1) The key does not work smoothly (neither of the 3 keys). Sometimes the key blocks halfway either while inserting or while turning it. This feels like "made in China" and not like a high quality lock mechanism. That's very annoying because I don't want to lose my time while fiddling with the key.
3) The coating is already dammaged after only a few usages. Some filaments come out and make loops. That's ugly and may get entangled in sth."
With the best will in the world it is always possible that one slips though that doesn't meet the quality they require, that was one of the reasons they gave for some of the delay in shipping, as they wanted to get the quality right ... I wonder if this chap got his from the first batch?

Are there any more who aren't happy regarding the quality, not delivery or service?

Actually, don't waste your time, or mine, giving any more info, you've cancelled your order so I assume it won't be upsetting you once you get your money back.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Mel, I clearly have missed something in this thread, what exactly is your relationship with Litelok and Neil, is it financial or otherwise?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel, I clearly have missed something in this thread, what exactly is your relationship with Litelok and Neil, is it financial or otherwise?
Not sure that I appreciate what you are implying by that question - you have not missed anything because there is nothing TO miss!

To make it totally clear - I don't have any links whatsoever to the business, owner or anything at all related to it or anyone linked with it ... nothing, zilch. I only know about the product from this thread being started, otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue it even existed!

I just don't like when someone appears IMV to 'have it in' for the company - judging from comments on here, and has implied quite strongly that the people are basically crooks who are intentionally defrauding both the people who are crowd funding the enterprise, and customers. Examples of such comments are: "I smell a rat", "... this is deliberately misleading and hints at more serious problems", "lies and bullsh*t" and stating the hope that "no Funsters will leave it too long before applying for a refund from Paypal and lose their money" which is unfounded as Paypal offer buyer protection for this very purpose.

I would defend anyone/company if I felt they were being accused of purposely defrauding others without categorical proof simply because someone has taken a dislike to them - whilst everyone is entitled to their opinions, some of it, IMV is OTT and could be quite damaging to the company which, at the end of the day would affect the very people who he doesn't want it to ... ie those crowd funding 'investers' who HAVE put money into the company by pre-paying.

This company is trying hard to get their product to market and it is happening but sometimes there are hiccups along the way, some bigger than others, but it doesn't mean they are deliberately 'defrauding' anyone!

Others may, or may not, agree with what I have said above, but that's my 'take' on it all - I wish the company well as I believe many of those who have ordered the locks will be happy with them.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Mel because you wish it to be true does not make it so. Judgements are based on many elements your against all odds support whilst meritous does not lend itself to others following your advice/ opinion in future.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Mel because you wish it to be true does not make it so. Judgements are based on many elements your against all odds support whilst meritous does not lend itself to others following your advice/ opinion in future.
Do you mean naive ?

Edit - sorry meant to say blinkered

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you mean naive ?

Edit - sorry meant to say blinkered
Right back at you! You appear to be blinkered by your own 'standards' ... criticising a company and/or making spurious comments about them just because they have peed you off, ... so that's acceptable then? Now that is naive! :rolleyes:

If it came to a toss up of being bit naive or a constant whinger then I'm happy to be the former! (y)

Interesting 'comment' there SL ... I don't think my simply 'speaking up' for this company could be classified as my giving them 'against all odds support' which implies I would do so blindly ... that is certainly not the case. However the constant negativity could cause them a lot of harm and by default may be taken to imply that those people who have put their trust in them by pre-paying for the product before it was 'proven' were daft to do so ... but then that would also include the very person who is the one who is criticising them the most!! :D

All I am basically saying is "give them a chance to get things sorted" ... criticising them doesn't do them, or those who have pre-paid, any good at all.

My comments on this thread also have nothing to do with my advice/opinion on anything else as I judge each 'subject' individually, not all lumped together. Those that know me on this forum are well aware that I research stuff before giving help/advice etc and I believe, from the comments I've had both on the forum and in PMs, that this is well received by many who benefit from it, so I will continue to post as I do, however you are, of course, entitled to your opinion of me but I'll rely on the views of the vast majority on here instead thank you. :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Right back at you! You appear to be blinkered by your own 'standards' ... criticising a company and/or making spurious comments about them just because they have peed you off, ... so that's acceptable then? Now that is naive! :rolleyes:

If it came to a toss up of being bit naive or a constant whinger then I'm happy to be the former! (y)

Interesting 'comment' there SL ... I don't think my simply 'speaking up' for this company could be classified as my giving them 'against all odds support' which implies I would do so blindly ... that is certainly not the case. However the constant negativity could cause them a lot of harm and by default may be taken to imply that those people who have put their trust in them by pre-paying for the product before it was 'proven' were daft to do so ... but then that would also include the very person who is the one who is criticising them the most!! :D

All I am basically saying is "give them a chance to get things sorted" ... criticising them doesn't do them, or those who have pre-paid, any good at all.

My comments on this thread also have nothing to do with my advice/opinion on anything else as I judge each 'subject' individually, not all lumped together. Those that know me on this forum are well aware that I research stuff before giving help/advice etc and I believe, from the comments I've had both on the forum and in PMs, that this is well received by many who benefit from it, so I will continue to post as I do, however you are, of course, entitled to your opinion of me but I'll rely on the views of the vast majority on here instead thank you. :)
Mel
The criticism I have levelled at Litelok is no worse than the comments and concerns made by their own investors, whiich have been strung along with false promises for almost a year.

Furthermore it had been a constant complaint that they ignore and side step genuine questions from the people who have funded this project.

The crux of the problem that I have with Litelok concerns their continued decision to take payments from potential customers knowing forwell that they can not meet their own delivery promises - yet they continue this behaviour with no regard for their customers.

i could have expected this behaviour from a group of inexperienced 'kids', but from a team of supposed experienced entrepreneurs, it's unforgivable.

You may choose to dismiss my criticisms, but you surely can't do the same with the countless negative remarks from their own investors ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I censored myself in an earlier post to avoid stretching rule 1. Shame others can't do the same.

Moving on from that I've been looking at a product that I believe could have a good market in the UK but would initially require importing with a very fluid delivery date and therefore an even more fluid despatch date. I would need to take pre orders based on that.

I was hoping to carry out some market research which would have included on here but I think I've changed my mind. If anyone suggested I was "intentionally defrauding people" or "deliberately misleading" anyone I would feel compelled to take it further.

Never mind. I have my samples which I can use so if they are the only examples in the UK I'm happy. It's a brilliant product. The doom mongers can stick to the inferior offerings on Amazon. At least they know they can get it next day (n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel
You may choose to dismiss my criticisms, but you surely can't do the same with the countless negative remarks from their own investors ?
I am not dismissing your criticisms, its the deliberate fraudulent activity that you're implying that I object to.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am not dismissing your criticisms, its the deliberate fraudulent activity that you're implying that I object to.
I understand your comments totally Mel and I regret if this offends you - it was never my intention

However, How would you describe a company that repeatedly and deliberstely takes money from potential customers, knowing that it can not deliver on those promises, and continues to do so ?

I've seen this behaviour a hand full of times in my 20 years in business - the most recent led to a multi million pound fraud.

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
As the culprit that started this thread i feel a bit responsible for the bad feelings expressed here.
Can I put my view, when i paid my cash i knew it was a start up. And i applaude their get up and go.
I too am still waiting, but i fail to see how you can describe this as fraud, for as someone said, if you ask for your money back, you get it back. Not a terribly good scam then! But i agree there are time limits on paypal.
I realise time is ticking and what i feel is that they have good intentions, they are just a bit naive, if they would email more and give realistic time frames everyone would be be fine.
If they had said June and delivered im May they would be angels, if they say in February and deliver in May they are deamons
They just have to learn that people need more reasurance and a realistic time frame.
I will wait, i fully believe it will turn up and as usual my glass is half full.....well not really as its a hot day, and just one for a cool beer. ok my glass is empty, time for another.
Regards to all
Linda
Not meaning to start another controversial thread, but they are ex university academics, having worked for many years in the universities they are not too savy time wise.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Lindacarole wouldn't worry some are just argumentative for the sake of it.
As @hilldweller said more and more Facts type threads lately
Shame but inevitable I suppose as the club gets bigger.
As for the Lite Bike Lock glad I didn't part with any dosh.
Keep posting and Enjoy(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I too am still waiting, but i fail to see how you can describe this as fraud, for as someone said, if you ask for your money back, you get it back. Not a treeibly good scam then! But i agree th ere are time limits on paypal.

Nobody needs to go via Paypal. If you don't want to wait Litelok will happily refund you themselves. There are plenty of people who have done this, even some have posted on this thread.

I'm quite happy waiting as well (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As @hilldweller said more and more Facts type threads lately

yes.. far too many and it's becoming a less nice place to be.. some just like picking fight for the sake of an argument..

it wasn't like this in the past when members went out of their way to be friendly ..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As the culprit that started this thread i feel a bit responsible for the bad feelings expressed here.
Hi Linda
I certainly don't have any bad feelings to you (or anyone else) after all, its just a silly bike lock.
Just wish Litelok had been a bit honest and open.
Not your fault at all - looking at the website you'd never guess that they were so far behind in fulfilling any orders.

Fingers crossed that you and@NickNic receive your orders.

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Thanks for the nice replies, see we are all still here. Thanks Robert, correct just a bike lock
Will let you know when i get it and what i think.......now back to the glass half full ......
LC

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I understand your comments totally Mel and I regret if this offends you - it was never my intention

However, How would you describe a company that repeatedly and deliberstely takes money from potential customers, knowing that it can not deliver on those promises, and continues to do so ?

I've seen this behaviour a hand full of times in my 20 years in business - the most recent led to a multi million pound fraud.
Thanks Robert, I didn't think you had intended to offend me, or anyone else. :)(y)

I haven't ever started a business BUT I know people who have and despite the best intentions things happen that they cannot foresee and they have to deal with them the best they can at the time. I agree regarding the communications etc not being as good as they should be, and that the website should be updated more to give the 'current' picture but if this is like may companies, the work is probably contracted out so being done by a third party and therefore changes to the website won't happen immediately.

I imagine the company is working damn hard to try to get the locks produced and sent out and may have underestimated the time it takes to do this, which appears to have been compounded by the problems they had with the parts, and unfortunately it all adds up to a bigger and bigger delay.

As Linda says, they aren't 'manual workers' but entrepreneurs and academics and believe me they don't 'live' in the real world! I worked at a University for over 30 years, in academic departments and also in admin too, it was chalk and cheese! The academics were in 'slow motion' whereas the admins were in 'hyper speed'!

I wish they hadn't been so 'overly optimistic' that they could meet the orders by the dates they stated, but with any new business start-up there are always things that come out of the woodwork which weren't anticipated. Hopefully they have learned, albeit the 'hard way', and once this current situation is sorted out, that future orders will be delivered much quicker.

I don't think for one minute though there is any fraudulent activity intended - if so people wouldn't be able to get refunds from them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wish they hadn't been so 'overly optimistic' that they could meet the orders by the dates they stated.

It would be nice wouldn't it, by now weren't we supposed to be nearly paying our way in the world, instead we are borrowing more tah ever. Now that is an oversight worth 11 pages of comment.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Quick update - do you remember the email that Litelok sent out about a month or so ago, giving an updated delivery date of 3-5 weeks from then.
Well, I just got an email from them to say that they had just received my refund request email (which I sent on 1st May) and that if I wanted to wait I could expect delivery in another 4 weeks.

Just thought buyers waiting for their locks might be interested.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Quick update - do you remember the email that Litelok sent out about a month or so ago, giving an updated delivery date of 3-5 weeks from then.
Well, I just got an email from them to say that they had just received my refund request email (which I sent on 1st May) and that if I wanted to wait I could expect delivery in another 4 weeks.

Just thought buyers waiting for their locks might be interested.

Blimey you must have the patience of an oyster.:)

One word springs to mind, Scam :eek:

Wonder how much they've raked in now for a non existent product.:D

Nice work if you can get it.:whistle::whistle:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Blimey you must have the patience of an oyster.:)

Sadly my patience ran out a little while ago - and I'm now awaiting my refund, as waiting another 4 weeks would have taken me past the latest date I could make a Paypal Claim

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Update.

After a bit of email back and forth over the last couple of weeks my two locks arrived today.

I've got to say I'm impressed. At first look over they appear to be everything they are claimed to be. As far as I'm concerned it was worth the wait.

The one thing that it's easy to confirm immediately is the weight: 1118 grams. Far far lighter than anything else in it's class which is the main reason I ordered in the first place.

I've not got the time now but I'll post some pictures later, including in use with a bike if it stops raining.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Picture. It's still hissing down here and my road bike doesn't come out in the rain so action shots will have to wait (y):D

IMG_0370.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back