Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hello all.

Quick question from a Canadian moving to Europe:

I understand that private sales don't attract VAT but when I look at motorhome prices listed on autotrader.co.uk or the German site, mobile.de, do I need to add VAT onto the price listed by a dealer or is the VAT already included in the listed price?

For example, prices listed on mobile.de state "52,000 Euro (VAT reclaimable 19%). What does that mean?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hello all.

I understand that private sales don't attract VAT but when I look at motorhome prices listed on autotrader.co.uk or the German site, mobile.de, do I need to add VAT onto the price listed by a dealer or is the VAT already included in the listed price?

For example, prices listed on mobile.de]mobile.de state "52,000 Euro (VAT reclaimable 19%). What does that mean?

private sales dont normally attract vat but dealer sales do.
its usually included in the windscreen price.

i think the prices listed on mobile.de]mobile.de state "52,000 Euro (VAT reclaimable 19%). may mean if you buy in germany to import to the uk the vat is refundable when you import it but vat will then be due in the uk along with import taxs etc but our vat rate is currently 15% rising to 17.5% after christmas.....
private sales in europe should be vat free but the import costs and uk vat still apply.

could be wrong but i think thats how it works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
With the UK being part of the EU, I thought there weren't any import taxes if you bought in Germany for reggistration in the UK ??

Your explanation of the VAT makes sense though, pappajohn. Thanks.

Isn't it just VAT that would be payable (assuming I didn't pay the 19% German VAT)?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With the UK being part of the EU, I thought there weren't any import taxes if you bought in Germany for reggistration in the UK ??

Your explanation of the VAT makes sense though, pappajohn. Thanks.

Isn't it just VAT that would be payable (assuming I didn't pay the 19% German VAT)?

i think there will still be import duties as it wasnt made in the uk.
on top of that you will have the registration fees, number plates, MOT test and possible headlamp conversion from left hand drive to right.

with the current £ to euro exchange rate it is probably cheaper to buy in the uk or even the US and import from there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
HM Revenue Site

HM Revenue & Customs

5. Bringing means of transport which are not new to the UK

5.1 What if I am bringing a motor vehicle, boat or aircraft, which is not an NMT into the UK?

If you bring the means of transport to the UK from another Member State, you will not have to pay UK VAT if:

it is no longer a ‘New Means of Transport’ as defined in section 2, and
you have paid VAT on its purchase in the Member State of supply.
However, the vehicle will be subject to the UK licensing and insurance requirements, which are explained in section 9. You must contact your nearest DVLA Local Office (see section 10) at the earliest opportunity. The DVLA Local Office will ask you to complete the HM Revenue & Customs Form VAT 414 to confirm that UK VAT is not due.

I am importing a car from the EC, will I have to pay duty and VAT?

All new cars are liable to VAT on entry to the UK but duty will only apply if imported from outside the EC. The rate of duty liable will depend if the car purchased is new, second hand or classified as a car of historic interest.

For further information see:

Notice 728 Motor vehicles, boats, aircraft: intra-EC movements by persons not registrable for VAT.

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that ScotJimland.

Have just spent the past few hours comparing motorhomes on autotrader.co.uk to identical models on mobile.de. I always thought that motorhomes purchased in Germany were way cheaper than same thing in UK.

Not the case anymore! It looks like Hymers and Adrias are still cheaper in Germany but most other makes are now cheaper in the UK. And the UK ones have much lower mileage even allowing for kilometers versus miles. :whatthe:

Still more choice of European motorhomes at mobile.de, which is to be expected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back