LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Having played a little with Red Hat some years ago and was rather dissapointed, can anyone suggest a current version of Linux that even a Linux simpleton like myself could use EASILY...

I dont want to be spending hours, searching for drivers and mounting drives etc.

Ta

ShiftZZ

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I installed Linux Mint on an old laptop some time ago after seeing a recommendation (I think) on here. Haven't used it much but it seems to run OK and easier to install than releases of Caldera/Red Hat etc a few years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Having played a little with Red Hat some years ago and was rather dissapointed, can anyone suggest a current version of Linux that even a Linux simpleton like myself could use EASILY...

I dont want to be spending hours, searching for drivers and mounting drives etc.

Ta

ShiftZZ

Give Ubuntu a try, it can be loaded onto a windows machine to try and if you want remove it, leaving the windows in-tacked, it also gives you a dual boot so you can choose if you want windows or Ubuntu.

Doug...

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I'm using Ubuntu 10.4 (I think) now. Had it since before Xmas but waited until we got away then started playing. It's fast & less cluttered than Window$, just try it.

I loaded it onto a USB stick first then played about with it until I found more confidence in it. As Doug said it's the best way to try it, but you wont see the speed running it from a USB stick.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
One thing I forgot to add: with the latest Ubuntu, (Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat) you get a free 2gig cloud storage built into opsys.

Doug...

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
One thing I forgot to add: with the latest Ubuntu, (Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkat) you get a free 2gig cloud storage built into opsys.

Doug...

Doug, How do you find your version. You can see I'm still not used to it yet. :Doh:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Can you run all your Windoze progs on ubuntu/Linux/whatever?

No, but there are other alternatives like Open Office which is the same as Exel. Word etc, and it comes free. It can also read the files from windows progs.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Doug, How do you find your version. You can see I'm still not used to it yet. :Doh:

OK... Top left of screen. click System. at the bottom of the "pop down" click "about Ubuntu"
you will get a text page, the first 2 lines tell you what you have.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Yes and NO, most of the major programs are duplicate with Ubuntu's own, some commercial's like Skype are runnable with a Linux version. there is nearly always and alternative. BUT IT'S NOT WINDOWS. you can not run windows software on linux.

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes and NO, most of the major programs are duplicate with Ubuntu's own, some commercial's like Skype are runnable with a Linux version. there is nearly always and alternative. BUT IT'S NOT WINDOWS. you can not run windows software on linux.

Doug...

Hhmm. Bit of a wide ranging statement to say "most of the major programs" as it depends how one defines "major".

It will be true of office suites and applications like photo processing but get into something like genealogy and the programs used by the majority of people do not have Linux versions.

There will be alternatives but to what extent the various features are duplicated is questionable.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Not even 1 wondoze program will run, there's the rub.

Sort of like German MHs are cheaper, buy German MH, looks familiar but you have to learn German to understand it. When you walk into a UK spares place, "Sorry that is the German model, we carry only the UK spares".

So you've saved a few bob, but you pay in the learning curve and compatibility.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
You can if you need to run many Windoze programs in Linux using something called Wine. However why would you want to? Linux comes with lots of programs and many more are easily installed. If you want the internet then it comes with a browser (usually Firefox), Office programs come courtesy of OpenOffice (many others also available), e-mail comes from Thunderbird of Evolution.

I run Linux and it just works, no more Windoze blue screens, no virus issues and it is very reliable and secure.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can if you need to run many Windoze programs in Linux using something called Wine. However why would you want to?(snip)

For many people there may well be no reason to want to. However, as mentioned in my previous post, when you diverge from the basic applications you run up against lack of availability.

We run a genealogy products & services company and have to run Windows software to serve our customers.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I think that's answered my question. Not for me - I'll stick with what I know and love/hate/love/hate etc etc.

Anyway, the video editing software I use only works on XP.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Wine

Wine will run many Windoze progams such as internet explorer, MS Office, games etc etc.. Its worth a try as many programs run just as they would under MS Win.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just run ubuntu from CD impressed, very fast.

There were two options, one to run from CD and the second to install...

Before I install, does it offer dual boot?
If so how easy?

ShiftZZ

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Dual boot

Yes it does offer dual boot. Off the top of my head I can't remember which option you choose but if I remember correctly it's pretty easy. I'm using Linux Mint 10 which is based on Ubuntu and I have a couple of pcs running dual boot. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

PS If you have any issues feel free to pm me if no one on here can answer your question.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not even 1 wondoze program will run, there's the rub.
So you've saved a few bob, but you pay in the learning curve and compatibility.

And I went and proved it for myself.

I watch bike racing on Eurosport by internet. Last year it was laptop on table with long wires to TV. Worked fine but wires unsightly.

So, I buy a micro PC to sit next to TV. Linux much cheaper so Linux I buy, it's only for internet use, no problem.

No ?

The one thing not available for Linux is M$ Silverwotzit plugin that Eurosport use to play their DRM content.

Luckily I'd a spare XP licence so reformatted it and now I've a PC that does just what I need.

With a wireless scratchpad keyboard it's a very neat wire free solution, now all I need is racing to start.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
And I went and proved it for myself.

I watch bike racing on Eurosport by internet. Last year it was laptop on table with long wires to TV. Worked fine but wires unsightly.

So, I buy a micro PC to sit next to TV. Linux much cheaper so Linux I buy, it's only for internet use, no problem.

No ?

The one thing not available for Linux is M$ Silverwotzit plugin that Eurosport use to play their DRM content.

Luckily I'd a spare XP licence so reformatted it and now I've a PC that does just what I need.

With a wireless scratchpad keyboard it's a very neat wire free solution, now all I need is racing to start.

If you need MS Silverlight then you can use Novell Moonlight, it's available as an add-on for Firefox.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Some windows programs will run under wine. There are plenty of very good programs under Linux that make very good alternatives to windows programs too. What's more they are free to use. Many windows programs are not free.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you need MS Silverlight then you can use Novell Moonlight, it's available as an add-on for Firefox.

And it doesn't work. They have not ( yet ? ) cracked the DRM used in the latest Silverlight.

I keep having a poke at linux, I keep failing.

Why go through all the pain I wonder. OK windows would have cost me £60 more but that's good for many years use. For the average person it's not worth the trouble.

I'll put it another way, I can speak as much German as I want for free but English costs £60. Yipee I say, I'm not talking much I'll go for German. Then a bit later I need to watch Eurosport and it's only in English, oh dear.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
And it doesn't work. They have not ( yet ? ) cracked the DRM used in the latest Silverlight.

I keep having a poke at linux, I keep failing.

Why go through all the pain I wonder. OK windows would have cost me £60 more but that's good for many years use. For the average person it's not worth the trouble.

I'll put it another way, I can speak as much German as I want for free but English costs £60. Yipee I say, I'm not talking much I'll go for German. Then a bit later I need to watch Eurosport and it's only in English, oh dear.

I haven't tried it on Eurosport so I guess there are still issues. Linux isn't perfect for everyone. The same way Windows isn't for me. Guess your going to have to continue using that second rate operating system for a while longer ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Guess your going to have to continue using that second rate operating system for a while longer ::bigsmile:

You can call it second rate and I will not argue with you at all, but it's a case of Size Matters. Windows has set a standard, Linux uses some of that standard, cameras use the standard, phones use the standard. So Windows is the easy option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back