LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok let the fight begin. I have been offered a real nice spec computer of the space saving variety via ebuyer.com

However it is loaded with LINUX as its OS.

Do any others use Linux and is it worth it or is it to difficult to get your head around.

Thanks in anticipation

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Ok let the fight begin. I have been offered a real nice spec computer of the space saving variety via ebuyer.com

Do any others use Linux and is it worth it or is it to difficult to get your head around.

Thanks in anticipation

The way it was explained to me - 'If you need to ask the question then Linux isn't for you'.

You could try running a version of Linux in Windows to give it a go, have a look here Installing and Running Ubuntu Linux inside Windows XP with VirtualBox this will give you an idea of what's involved.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have one Windows Machine on XP and one Linux machine on Ubuntu. They are radically different. However, if you use the computer for browsing and not much else you won't notice any different, except in Linux I've never heard of any viruses.

If you are the kind of user that is always fiddling with settings and the registry, Linux means learning a lot. If you don't fiddle, no problem.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I don't know if its still the same but you never used to be able to use windows/msdos based programs within Linux, so if you have any programs like office etc. you may need to look for alternatives,

I don't think that is necessarily a major problem as i think there are some very good alternatives but that may need another leaning process, and could possibly add extra cost.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have spent the last two weeks learning Linux because we will soon be moving back to a linux server. The windows server is giving me too many issues with some projects that i have on the go.

Linux is Cheap (its FREE )
Linux is FAST
Linux has a large community that will help you out

Linux> # is_B@$$tard_to/learn/ </when @@--using/it/from/the/command <line
Linux has graphical user interfaces for PCs so you don't have to learn too much command line stuff

Linux operating systems on netbooks work better than windows equivalents as it is not resource hungry bloatware.
Linux is cool
Linux is best for servers
Linux hates me at the moment
I hate Linux more:moon:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I knew a work colleague who was very good with computers and he thought that he would learn Linux, he mastered it eventually but only because of his stubborn nature, and not wishing to lose face. He had to admit once he had mastered it it was a good system, and then went on to servers in his own company. Don't think I could be bothered with the hassle.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks in anticipation

I had a good laugh the other day, one of this forum bought Autoroute. Computer they wanted to run it on is Linux. End of story.

Not a laugh at the Funster note but at the Linuxistas who forget the major limitation of their devoted system.

Linux works, but cuts you off mainstream apps which are all windows.

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
As posted Linux is basically not attacked as much as Windows is ,fastreliable system ,90% of the drivers you basically need are now being written,i have personally never used it,but friends i know love it ,on good side if you dont get on with it you can always change it[take note of exact what the components in the comp are before you do mainboard/graphics/sound/network] so you can get hold of the drivers,

If you are buying or getting a netbook! beware they can only do basic grahical stuff,good for basic stuff email etc reading webpages but thats all,they use linux as said above as it is not memory hungry as Windows,also notice most netbooks ilooked at have no dvd/cd drive you need external,90% are solid state hds[costly to replace]:Eeek:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Linux is fabulous. Using the supplied Graphical User Interface (GUI) that comes with most of them you would not notice any difference if surfing, emailing and using Office lookalike programs. The problems come when you want to use things like broadband dongles, software which is only available on windows (such as Autoroute) or common, but expensive programs like Photoshop.
The Linux community does have a lot of free software and it is worth looking at Ubuntu running on Windows first to test the water without any expense.
I tried it on an old laptop and Ubuntu loaded automatically with all of the drivers for all of the hardware components. Worked great, then tried to get my Vodafone dongle working and then gave up in frustration.
John

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have played with Ubuntu, (a version of Unix/Linux) and I have it on a desktop at home, I have lot of fun and self education, BUT,,,, there are may Windows programs that I use that there are no linux equivialent, or a real problem to get to work properly. IE Skype, Various map and navigation programs, drivers for USB equipment. and lots of other things.

So I still have to use Windows untill Linux catches up with the none Geek type of user...

Doug...

R

reader

Deleted User
For the average user Ubuntu (Linux) can be easier to use, ie find the software you want in either Add/Remove Programs or the Synaptic Loader, tick and install, its easier than Windows. Regarding software, there is a lot of Online (Cloud) stuff now also Open Office which is on a par with MS Office, and available for windoze also for anyone wanting to try it

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Use to run SCO Unix and informix, a nightmare, formatting floppies was hard going, mounting hard drives, command lines e.g ps-fe sar -r 1,1000 ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
End of the Operating System ?

If Google's plans go head and they team up with Linux, bloated buggy operating systems will be a thing of the past...
most stuff can now be done on line with no need for expensive software, can't recall the last time I opened Autoroute, I now do all my panning on Google maps, save my trips, plot POIS, pictures etc etc etc ..
and on booting up, the first thing most folk open is the browser.. everything will soon be done using it.

jim

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Linux vs windows

Hi Paul

For my money Unix in its various flavours is for the techies. I personally wouldn't bother unless I wanted to start setting up my own servers. I would also buy some serious training to get up the learning curve. KISS!!

Best regards, Dave.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thanks everyone, sounds way too complicated for me, I won't have the time. :thumb:

Chris Woods

Free Member
Jun 6, 2009
Funster No
I was using Linux on my webbook, It was much faster and smaller than windows and just as good or better for email, web browsing or WP stuff - until I bought a 3G dongle. Despite all the Linux sites having pages of ridiculously complicated instructions I simply couldn't make it work!

I would say that about 75% of everything you can do in Windows is free, simple to set up and works better on Linux. A few things are OK but hard to set up, but sadly about 10% is totally and completely impossible - so it all depends what you want to do!

But why not give it a try? You can download a version of Linux that runs from a cd with no installation on your PC. Obviously it won't have lots of applications, nor will it be anything like as fast, but you can see what you think of it. There is one here KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD or Ubuntu do a stand alone version I think.

Chris

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
So...

No Matter how much they develop ram memory...the "instant-on" operating system on a stick :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:still seems to be a thing of speculation.

Thanks to bloated operating systems the solid state laptop still doesn't exist....

Yes Unix and linux is far better than Windows...but user friendly....NO...:Sad:

THE SLOWEST PART IN THE PC SYSTEM STILL IS THE HARD DISK.

When they get rid of that...That is when PCs will start to perform.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back