Lino (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Guys more picking of brains I'm afraid, we are replacing the old faded carpet in our Pascara with lino tomorrow, so muggins here has to remove said old carpet and as it was obviously laid and then all the cabinets and stuff fitted on top, all I'm going to do is cut around the edges of the cabinets and remove, anyone see any problems with this???? Anyone done it??:thumb:

Tim

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We did it with an old caravan we bought years ago. It weighed a bloody ton too !
It was our first one and we re-upholsterd it ourselves too.
We just used a sharp Stanley knife then the carpet practically walked out itself :ROFLMAO: the hardest thing was fitting the lino back in .
We were unable to afford it to be fitted properly , so did it ourselves. We ended up putting a wooden strip around the edges to tidy it up :Blush:
It did look better when we finished it though. We kept it for a year , had lots of fun with it , then sold it on for more than we paid for it too :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Pescara and luckily we dont have any issues with the carpet, having said that we did look at a Rapido up North and we fell in love with it, but, the previous owner had modified the van, removed the table and decided to put lino on the floor.

The job was not the best in the world, not done professionally and we took the opinion that the previous owner was trying to hide something so we walked away.

I would suggest :

a) Contact Autosleeper for their advice.
b) Get it done by a professional.

Unless you are really really good I would not attempt it myself (DIY diaster zone)

Besides that, enjoy....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've replaced carpet in several vans with lino .. (why it's fitted in the first place defies logic.. you won't find fitted carpets in continental vans) ..

It's not difficult if you take your time and work carefully .. If at all possible, undo the fixing screws that hold the units to the floor and ease carefully upward, then pull the carpet out.. Do the reverse when fitting the lino, this will ensure a professional looking job.

On fixtures where it's not practical to undo, cut around with a sharp Stanley knife .. and as Bev suggested fit 1/4 round beading around the edges.. this will ensure a neat finish and prevent the lino lifting..

If you buy good quality heavy lino you won't need adhesive, it will lay flat on it's own.. but it may be prudent to use adhesive at the edges where there is a risk of water ingress. ie around the shower, toilet etc.

If not already fitted, use aluminium angle on the step edges ..

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
now he tells us :Doh: :roflmto:

Sorry Jim obviously I should have made that clearer in my original post:Blush:
its the hidden problems I'm worried about, ie carpet thicker than lino, what problems there? that sort of thing, as you have done it before and all that:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
its the hidden problems I'm worried about, ie carpet thicker than lino, what problems there? that sort of thing, as you have done it before and all that:thumb:

Wizzer, I have just re-read your original post and I think we all jumped to conclusions....

You were right 1st time..:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

no probs..

.. un screw and try to lift the floor mounted units and pull out the carpet .. bed boxes are usually quite easy .. not so with a wardrobe so just cut as close as possible, If after fitting you can still see the carpet edge trim with 1/4 round wood moulding .. let the fitter do the worrying :winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Whizzer if it is not too late may I suggest using a vinyl plank type flooring :thumb:A lot better /harder wearing than other stuff and very easy to fit/cut :thumb:---see pics in my ambulance conversion --http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=76
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Whizzer if it is not too late may I suggest using a vinyl plank type flooring :thumb:A lot better /harder wearing than other stuff and very easy to fit/cut :thumb:---see pics in my ambulance conversion --http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=76
terry

the very best is Rhino Flooring .. but that is pricey

another good choice is Cork Tiling .. I've used that in two vans and it's super.. looks good, real easy to fit, feels warm underfoot, hard wearing and when it gets scuffed, just sand and re varnish ..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Lino is very environmentally friendly if your feeling "Green" ::bigsmile:

Ian

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Can you still get "lino"?

JJ :Cool:

JJ has a point. Lino, short for linoleum was invented in 1855. The word is derived from the Latin words linum ("flax") and oleum ("oil") as it was made from linseed oil. It was largely superseded in the 1950s by various plastics. Does this have something to say about the age of forum members :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
JJ has a point. Lino, short for linoleum was invented in 1855. The word is derived from the Latin words linum ("flax") and oleum ("oil") as it was made from linseed oil. It was largely superseded in the 1950s by various plastics. Does this have something to say about the age of forum members :ROFLMAO:

Steady:Angry:
I'm a mere babe compared to some, allegedly :roflmto::roflmto:::bigsmile::thumb:

Tim

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
We used self adhesive Lino Tiles from B&Q in our Autotrail so much easier and they looked very good.:thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Can you still get "lino"?

JJ :Cool:

Link Removed
Very eco friendly, made from natural materials, warm and hygienic, very expensive. Doesn't look like that green stuff you used to get at your gran's round the outside of the carpet, much more trndy

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Terry & Mavis
I did look at the tiles and thought they looked a lot easier to fit, but by then SWMBO had chosen the lino and ordered it, so too late I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.:thumb:

Tim

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just a little update on the carpet removal and lino fitting. The easiest way to remove the carpet I found was to firstly cut all the way around the edges about 50mm out, then its a lot easier to do the close cutting around the bed frames and cabinets:thumb:. The table leg supports flummoxed me for a bit but got them out in the end.
The lino fitter did a great job, and finished off around the cabinets with clear silcone, which was a nice touch, filling the gap and hiding any little bits of carpet all in one foul swoop:thumb:
So thats it done, looks tons better and a lot easier to clean.

One thing I noticed was although there was very little evidance of damp, nearly every screw and staple was rusty, so replaced them with new plated ones.:RollEyes:

Anyway thats that job jobbed (eh!) Thanks to you guys for your help and advice:thumb: and roll on the next project see you then:winky:

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back