Lincoln - Just an observation (1 Viewer)

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I personally thought the first post in this thread is very insensitive to disabled motorhomers.we have met many over the last 20yrs and great peeps they have all been,some quite inspirational.so I think they deserve our patience and respect.come on guys cut um some slack,we could end up on a scooter one day(y)
brian and jo
Just a thought but how many scooter users are registered disabled and how many are just plain lazy? Too many times have I seen a scooter stop and a sprightly person get off and walk around as any able bodied person.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ferrets...there's a thought.....

How about indulging in the good old Lancashire sport of Ferret Throwing at meets?
In its day, this sport was almost as popular as Leper Throttling.

I understand both are still pub games in St Helens and Wigan?
How about mud wrestling at Newark or Peterborough? Oh, probably already done that one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ferrets...there's a thought.....

How about indulging in the good old Lancashire sport of Ferret Throwing at meets?
In its day, this sport was almost as popular as Leper Throttling.

I understand both are still pub games in St Helens and Wigan?

OI. You leave St Helens alone ... we are too busy being good at rugby to indulge in any other forms of physical activity. :whistle:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Wow, Dabhand. You have just taught me something... I didn't realise each post has a number...(y)
Please, most people call me Simon, depending on how much I've had to drink:)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just a thought but how many scooter users are registered disabled and how many are just plain lazy? Too many times have I seen a scooter stop and a sprightly person get off and walk around as any able bodied person.
And that matters??? How many motorcyclists have a car, or bike riders have a motorhome. Whose to say that 'lazy' matters?? One man's ten mile walk is another's twenty mile scoot.......Are we getting to the time and place where disabled peeps have to put a sign on all their transport to advertise their disability, just to keep others happy?? It already happens with cars and parking.
What's forgotten here is 'freedom of choice, within the laws of the society we live in'. You choose to walk, others to scoot. Would you want legislation about that as well?? :(

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
And that matters??? How many motorcyclists have a car, or bike riders have a motorhome. Whose to say that 'lazy' matters?? One man's ten mile walk is another's twenty mile scoot.......Are we getting to the time and place where disabled peeps have to put a sign on all their transport to advertise their disability, just to keep others happy?? It already happens with cars and parking.
What's forgotten here is 'freedom of choice, within the laws of the society we live in'. You choose to walk, others to scoot. Would you want legislation about that as well?? :(
Absolutely

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If I had one of them scooters to ride around in, I would be very worried about the grey waste being needlessly emptied from motorhomes when they leave. All that grease faeces and pubic hair could have some one right off their scooter causing an horrific accident.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've spent a year in a wheelchair and it was one of the most miserable times of my life, you think that people will be kind to you because obviously your not mobile...No, it was the opposite, I was shocked at how rude, unkind and horrid complete strangers were when I was out in that chair, I was pushed out of the way in shops, ignored by shop assistants and had people try and walk in front of me pushing into queues etc.

I can't believe people would choose to get into a scooter just to go shopping but if they do good luck to them cos it's more difficult than it looks.

And yes there will always be slow coaches or annoying dog owners but come on Funsters let's spread the love, don't we live in an age with enough violence and hatred? Let's smile and be positive, life is too short.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've spent a year in a wheelchair and it was one of the most miserable times of my life, you think that people will be kind to you because obviously your not mobile...No, it was the opposite, I was shocked at how rude, unkind and horrid complete strangers were when I was out in that chair, I was pushed out of the way in shops, ignored by shop assistants and had people try and walk in front of me pushing into queues etc.

I can't believe people would choose to get into a scooter just to go shopping but if they do good luck to them cos it's more difficult than it looks.

And yes there will always be slow coaches or annoying dog owners but come on Funsters let's spread the love, don't we live in an age with enough violence and hatred? Let's smile and be positive, life is too short.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Well said, Dawn

Rats! Smileys don't work, but please have a few thumbs up ones.......

Aug 28, 2014
Dorset (expat Oxonian)
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
:whistle2: Since retiring, time has had no meaning, have to think what day it is, ( even got to Lincoln a day late, ) so dawdling behind a scooter or wheel chair or even stuck in traffic just relaxes me, Life's too short to hurry!! I'm just thankful that I can get around under my own steam! ;-) and have a beer or two!!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Think I'm going to get a stair lift fitted because I can't be bothered to climb the stairs anymore.
No reason why not - your money; your stairs. But I promise you, unless you were incredibly lazy, you'd soon get fed up.

The rotten so & so's limit the speed & they are soooo slooooow. Takes all the fun out of it. (n) Drives the wife nuts - and me if I'm waiting for her to get up or down. Even the grandkids get fed up after a couple of trips up & down.

But after a day going round a show I don't half envy her her wheelchair. I'm a long way from being registered disabled, but my left ankle is pretty much shot & I can't stand on it for very long or walk very far. Some sort of personal mobility aid for longer distances would be great.

I fancy a Segway myself. :whistle:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Think I'm going to get a stair lift fitted because I can't be bothered to climb the stairs anymore.
Funny you should say that, as I know a guy who just had a stair lift fitted, and he's only 64. He lost both his legs in South Armagh, and has struggled for over thirty years to get upstairs, but as you say, he's had a stairlift fitted because he cant be bothered pulling himself up step by step any more.
Glad you reminded me. I must tell him how you think he's a lazy git. (y)

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Funny you should say that, as I know a guy who just had a stair lift fitted, and he's only 64. He lost both his legs in South Armagh, and has struggled for over thirty years to get upstairs, but as you say, he's had a stairlift fitted because he cant be bothered pulling himself up step by step any more.
Glad you reminded me. I must tell him how you think he's a lazy git. (y)
You're finally getting the point.....he's disabled! Scooter,mobility devices are for disabled people. I find able bodied people using devices for disabled people insulting to those unable to get about...suppose your car is a little blue invalid carriage.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As an occasional mobility scooter user, compulsory when on a pub crawl in Benidorm, I find the problem lies with pedestrians on the pavement. Pedestrians walk around as though they have all day to get from one pub to another, whereas serious pub crawlers require a mobility scooter to cover more ground. Anyway, I think there should be a minimum speed limit for pedestrians on the footpath of say , 15 miles per hour. If a pedestrian cant keep up this speed then they should lose the right to be a pedestrian and forced to buy a mobility scooter.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Don't get a stair lift they are really dangerous. I know of two deaths on them...one where a man starved to death following it breaking down and he couldn't get off it...
Far better to chance your arm being gassed in france

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back