Lincoln - Just an observation (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
One couple I saw had taken their dog into a van, goodness knows what the sales people thought, but of course did not say anything as potential customer

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Motorhomes = old people.

Old people = scooter

That's the way it is....gives them the freedom to roam and why not i say.

Do what we do. ..don't go to shows... If it bothers....

Waste of money anyhow imo far more laughs to be had elsewhere and keep your credit card safe

But each to their own
I have seen a big change in the people using motor homes over the years, I was in my middle thirties when I first got one (a 1983 Joseph Arnold) we would turn up on sites and invariably be the youngest there, not being an ageist (not suggesting anyone is by the way) this never bothered me, I love the fact that there are now so many young people out and about in motorhomes with their kids, it is true that there were not as many mobility scooters, but I think the majority of users are fine, it's like anything though, it is the small minority who go bombing around without a care in the world, not realising they are in charge of a lethal weapon. Training, courtesy and consideration is the key. On a more controversial note though, I do wonder whether some of the owners just have them because they are very large, unfit and can't be bothered walking, now before anyone rips into me, I think mobility scooters are fantastic for people who are disabled and people with genuinely limited mobility, but you have only got to go to Benidorm to see hoards of people on scooters who stop at every bar and shop and walk around to evidence this.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just think of all the tons of pollution spewed into the air by all the gas guzzling motorhomes who went there.

A few dog poos pale into significance.
Not if it's on your shoes!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Dogs and scooters rant.

without my scooter I am confined to the motorhome. I can get off and look at stuff, but cant walk more than a few metres without crippling sciatic pains from my fast degenerating spine, so dont have a go at all scooter riders in general, and I am a dedicated non smoker, who noticed most of the people smoking at Lincoln were stall holders, and mostly female as it it appeared. Biggest problem I have at shows and the like is keeping my batteries charged up.....hope its a problem you never have to end up with. What I did see aswell, were people cleaning up after their dogs, as we always do. Its a fact that many people have motorhomes so their dogs can come with them on holiday. Its just part of the modern way of life, or would you rather a ban on dogs and the disabled, and have everyone walk up and down the show in single file....up one side and down the other, with only a small set time to stop and look or buy something.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Tootles.
I am booked on "Red Funnel " for the Isle of Widget tour,question,"Will i have to dress for dinner ?"as this will be my first......Cruise ??.... as a naturist. Your advice will mean so much to me,thank you in advance............."Gerrrofff" LOL.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Oh Dear, Dogs (I have one) Scooter (I don't have one) Retired? I am, in a hurry? Nah! dog poo? bit like speeding motorists not many but can be a pain in the bum.

I will not live as long as I have, so now, I don't really worry mobility scooter...stop and have a chat, chances are they have a much bigger problem than you, Dog poo, one step sideways, job done, tra, la lar! Dog poo on shoe, Ah well, listen to the news, believe me worse things do happen.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hope u never need a scooter.....

I don't think Norman and Sue are getting at the people on scooters, or even dogs, but pointing out that there is a problem. Maybe the aisles need to be wiser or a ruling of some kind, Walk on right hand side or something like in some other public events...

I definitely found that there was a problem with dogs .... ALSO AT MALVERN ... I love dogs but was constantly blocked by people with four or five dogs on leads all crossed over and running every which way but loose. There was no way to overtake them or even continue walking forwards past them.... goodness knows how anyone disabled could have passed without risk of tripping or taking scooter onto the grass.

It took away the pleasure of the show.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi Tootles.
I am booked on "Red Funnel " for the Isle of Widget tour,question,"Will i have to dress for dinner ?"as this will be my first......Cruise ??.... as a naturist. Your advice will mean so much to me,thank you in advance............."Gerrrofff" LOL.
If your sailing 'Red Funnel', then etiquette demands tails and white tie at the burger bar. To ignore protocol could get you in the deep brown stuff when you disembark after a long cruise. The people of Wight are mostly inbred, and respect formal dress. To attire otherwise could really upset them. (y)(y)

Cruise advice FREE to *FUNSTERS* by Tootles, part of Bassett Promotions.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We made the mistake of sailing with P&O to Japan, on the Origami. The cabin walls were paper thin, and the waiters were like cardboard cutouts. Also, you could only read the small print by standing really close to the ships hull. :);)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We made the mistake of sailing with P&O to Japan, on the Origami. The cabin walls were paper thin, and the waiters were like cardboard cutouts. Also, you could only read the small print by standing really close to the ships hull. :);)

Bet they forgot to cook the fish and geisha bad service.;)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
WP_20140803_008.jpg
they do have their uses

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
...but then Tazzy refused point blank to go back in ... after chasing her round and round the vans, much to the bemusement of others sitting out having their lunch, I finally managed to collar her with the aid of another MHer who fussed her to keep her still.

Does this summarise part of the problem? Owners who believe that an out-of-control dog or scooter is OK so long as it belongs to them!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Does this summarise part of the problem? Owners who believe that an out-of-control dog or scooter is OK so long as it belongs to them!
I see what you mean, but most scooter owners and dog owners are responsible. Sometimes, even the best behaved dog will go, or perhaps someone on a scooter losing control. The original theme was not these ones, but the inconsiderate ones who don't really care

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm a very young 44 year old and my wife and I carry 2 scooters in the van we also have a dog so whats the problem!

Vlad

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Know it must be difficult so changing subject a bit... at the Lincoln show a scooter was driven into the jewellery counter in the Craft Tent and the jewellery went every which way but loose. The lady didn't brake!!!! So maybe dog and scooter and Funster lessons are needed to keep things under control. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'm a very young 44 year old and my wife and I carry 2 scooters in the van we also have a dog so whats the problem!

Vlad

No problem Vlad. The posters are talking about people who don't consider others. It isn't just dog owners or scooter drivers, it can be people with boom busters, or umbrellas, or bikes, etc etc... or cameras that sneak up behind people :)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Sometimes, even the best behaved dog will go,

Yes: I think there was another child attacked this week :(

SURELY dogs should be under total control at all times in public places (and whenever other folk are around?). Is there not a requirement to have dogs on leads around sites? Obviously, this would only apply strictly to "other" peoples dogs: "mine" is exempt from petty regulations.

I once saw a "large" dog, being walked on a lead by two children almost devour a "small" dog being walked on a lead by another child. Both sets of parents rushed to the scene but no amount of kicking, pulling, screaming managed to release the victim. Fortunately I had a "Fire Bucket" full of water and emptied it over the protagonists, resulting in instantaneous freedom. The vets bill came to over £1600.

IMO dogs need to be under total control. FULL STOP.

As to inconsiderate owners/drivers: I have picked up dog poo (in a bag) and handed it to an owner with a loud "I think this is yours" and I've said to mobility drivers "Excuse me, are you physically disabled or mentally disabled?" (perhaps not P.C. but we all share this Earth and we should all have a degree of responsibility to others).

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hmmmmmmm........What about rogue bike riders, staggering drunks riding nothing but a wave of alcohol...kids on scooters, skateboards........BAN THEM ALL!!!

But, never get or do anything like it yourselves, for as Saint Eric once said, "Ye who cast the first stone.........."(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
@Rapido925M You make good points. We deal all the time with dogs rescued from homes that do not train or control dogs; the point being made was that with the best will in the world things can happen....... it is a case of managing the risk down to an acceptable level.

Ah.... I see Tootles has replied in his inimitable diplomatic style - also makes a good point. Perfection is achievable?????? maybe not

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes: I think there was another child attacked this week :(

SURELY dogs should be under total control at all times in public places (and whenever other folk are around?). Is there not a requirement to have dogs on leads around sites? Obviously, this would only apply strictly to "other" peoples dogs: "mine" is exempt from petty regulations.

I once saw a "large" dog, being walked on a lead by two children almost devour a "small" dog being walked on a lead by another child. Both sets of parents rushed to the scene but no amount of kicking, pulling, screaming managed to release the victim. Fortunately I had a "Fire Bucket" full of water and emptied it over the protagonists, resulting in instantaneous freedom. The vets bill came to over £1600.

IMO dogs need to be under total control. FULL STOP.

As to inconsiderate owners/drivers: I have picked up dog poo (in a bag) and handed it to an owner with a loud "I think this is yours" and I've said to mobility drivers "Excuse me, are you physically disabled or mentally disabled?" (perhaps not P.C. but we all share this Earth and we should all have a degree of responsibility to others).
So let me get this right, please feel free to correct me if in some way I misread your post. You hate dogs, but you hate dogs not on leads mostest. You dislike large dogs, because they fight with small dogs. You carry a loaded fire bucket around in your pocket, perchance you see a small dog in distress. You dislike disabled people so much you are empowered to ask them just how they are disabled, and you share this earth with all those you dislike.
Do you like ice cream, hot sunny days, pretty women, or all these things on your no-no list as well? :(:(

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Right I'm going to come clean,it's as DuxDuluxe says it's about managing the risk!
Most motorhomes being old farts, as previously hinted at ( Paul) have weaknesses so I send out my two young kids 10 and 7 on their scooters with the dog( a street fighting Cockerpoo ) to clear a path and then enjoy the void be it a market ,show or seafront!
Always works!

Vlad

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I personally thought the first post in this thread is very insensitive to disabled motorhomers.we have met many over the last 20yrs and great peeps they have all been,some quite inspirational.so I think they deserve our patience and respect.come on guys cut um some slack,we could end up on a scooter one day(y)
brian and jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back