Limited company ownership and insurance (1 Viewer)

Knapscon

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Stroud
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. I want to get insurance for a motorhome but it is legally owned by my limited company and I can't get anyone to insure it. Can anyone help or have experience of doing this.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We need a lot more info to give any meaningful advice. for example what is the main business of your company? Is the motorhome used solely in the course of the business or is there some personal usage? Why is the motorhome owned by your company and not yourself personally? All of these points and probably a lot more will have a bearing on insurance.

D.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
should not be a problem as I have 2 cars and (had) the MH insured via the Co as part of the fleet insurance with AXA BUT I took the MH off as "its insured for business use" AXA for MH £750 fully Comp (classed as commercial LGV" Comfort exact same insurance but with breakdown cover £275 so I saw NO benefit in having it insured via the Co. I have to say the cars are the opposite.
So I suppose it all depends on WHY you want it insured via the Ltd Co

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

Knapscon

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Stroud
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. I am using the limited company to fund the purchase, so legally the mh would be owned by the co. we would then use it for staying away in when on business and also personally. Hope this makes sense.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It might be easier to declare yourself a dividend and then buy the van in your own name. You could always charge the company a "rental" if it is used for company business.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The problem with insuring the MH may not be just ownership but 'business use'.

You might gain some tax or VAT advantage by trying to say that the MH has a business use - then again the tax and VAT may not agree - and they will have the final say on that.

Using the MH for business may complicate matters when you come to sell it - or put buyers off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
It might be easier to declare yourself a dividend and then buy the van in your own name. You could always charge the company a "rental" if it is used for company business.

I wonder why you would buy a new 50k MH through a Ltd company ??, could be that you could reclaim £8334 in VAT plus charge the company all the running costs and depreciate it through the accounts............... you may be called upon at some time to justify this to the revenue though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back