Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A few months ago we stuggled to keep the toilet odour free. It drove us mad and no matter what we did the smell would not go. After climing the walls we discovered the problem was down to limescale build up, which traps the ammonia. We are now use limescale remover every so often and it seems to be ok.

Has anyone else had the same issue and is this the best way to tackle limescale?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We use coke occasionally. We pour 6 litres into an empty tank then let it slosh around for a while. It cleans the sensor, etc. We only use 6 litres as our black tank is huge, we used 2 litres when we had the euro van and caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Likewise.
Tesco laundry liquid keeps ours smell and limescale free.
The inside of the cassette I'd like new after six and a half years of use.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
The only place we noticed limescale was on the blade in our last van, and I spent hours cleaning it before we PX,d it, I always make sure that it is open every time we use it now and we use Aldi,s Bio in side, the sog takes care of any smells.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I've recently purchased a spare cassette, in the package was a bottle of Thetford cassette cleaner.
I'm quite cynical about these products but gave it a try in our current cassette, which did have a degree of limescale build up and was relatively dirty as we've just returned from five weeks away.

The liquid appears inert and mild but it's done a great job, the cassette looks like new (y)

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/w...etford-cassette-tank-chemical-cleaner-1-litre

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Calgone tabs do the job our caset was black it's like new after a few applications when we get home we cleen out the casket and Ade water and sume calgon tabs as we don't use the toilet when we do this but the MH gets driven every day a bit of sloshing around helps.
And it is spotless
Bill

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Another tip citric acids good for descaling the fresh water system and once flushed through doesn't leave any after taste and then left in the gray tank for a few days levels that nice and fresh to
Bill

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A few months ago we stuggled to keep the toilet odour free. It drove us mad and no matter what we did the smell would not go. After climing the walls we discovered the problem was down to limescale build up, which traps the ammonia. We are now use limescale remover every so often and it seems to be ok.

Has anyone else had the same issue and is this the best way to tackle limescale?

I use food grade Citric Acid. Same stuff that is in Lemon.

I also use it descale my boiler and kettle. I remove the whole toilet mechanism from the cassette once a year and soak it in a bucket of this stuff. However I am a fulltimer and the toilet is in use every single day of the year. The rest of the year I pour some down in a hot water solution. I pour some around the rim and then open the blade slightly, then close the blade and pour the rest down the toilet. Keeps it nice and clean :)

This is the stuff I use. http://amzn.to/2ci6ry1

I have found it to be more effective than Vinegar and doesn't have that overpowering vinegar smell.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back