Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
So I started un upgrade of lighting to LEDS & to start off im choosing the easy ones 1st the simple plug in bulbs the ones that do not need any re-wiring.

Well at least thats what i thought ::bigsmile:

So 4x LED bayonet bulbs for the luton & outside lights & 4x festoon bulbs for the exterior marker lights.

Initial testin of the bayonet bulbs reveals they work on the outside Light no problem but not in the luton.
Upon further investigation (i have pics) I have found that the Outside Light is wired direct to the switchboard & is plain & simple live & earth with positive in the middle of the light feeding the bulb centres.
The light over the luton however is wired up in the opposite way with the posotive feeding the outside of the bulbs, from what I can see the power for this comes from the lounge lights as the wiring is the same colours.

I assume this wired as a ring...... or 2 rings Dinette & Lounge

So & here is the main question
Can I just swap the polarity or should I best wait untill I have the LED tubes aswell & tackle this all in one go.

I know there will be some rewiring involved when I tackle the Led Tube replacement...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just swap the pos and neg wires.
Makes no difference to a filament bulb but the centre contact SHOULD always be positive.
You can swap the others if needed later.

They all should be in some kind of connector be it a choc block or spade connectors.....light fittings dont come with very long 'tails'

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you mean the courtesy light in the van, it is normal for it to be wired with a switched ground wire. the contacts on the door touch the bodywork so ground when a door is opened. nothing complicated for the LED bulbs, just unplug and turn them round. you can use a switch on either positive or ground to switch LEDs

rewiring the tube fittings to take strips of LEDs is pretty straightforward too. just gut the fittings and wire the self adhesive strips to the switch on the fitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
its the light in the luton it has two bayonette bulbs in it

Ive just been out & swapped the wires over & all works well, two time 60 LED bulbs in place & the front end is now all bright white ::bigsmile:

Ill upload some piccys & just need to decide which way to go for the Twin Tubes modify or replace...

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp