Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Ok, you're wrong. :LOL:

An AGM battery is still a lead/acid battery.
The difference is a wet battery has free electrolyte and the acid can separate out and settle at the bottom reducing the ability to take a charge and cause sulphation of the plates reducing efficiency hence the need for occasional desulphation charge to boil and remix the electrolyte.
In an AGM the electrolyte is held suspension in a dense glass mat between the plates so is held in contact with the lead plates and will take much longer to separate out reducing sulphation.
As far as I'm aware you need more, or larger, plates to increase capacity resulting in more weight.

Someone on this thread has pointed towards RoadPro as a source of an outrageously expensive Lithium battery.
However, I took the liberty of visiting their (RoadPro) site. In there, they are extolling the benefits of AGM batteries. They sell them, they endorse them. RoadPro are experts in the field of electronic wizardry (which is what electricity means to me)
This is what they say about the AGM product they sell;

"Giving up to 1,200 full cycles and an expected useful life of 4 – 7 years, Green Power AGM batteries have been the best-selling leisure batteries in Italy for years. Specifically developed for use as service / leisure batteries, Green Power models provide all the advantages that AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries have when used in a motorhome, caravan or boat. Here are some of them:

1. They are totally sealed against leakage and classed as spill proof.
  2. They can be mounted on their side or end to suit the available space.
  3. Because there are no fumes or gas coming from them, they can be installed safely inside your vehicle or boat.
  4. They do not need to be in a sealed box vented to the outside
  5. Because they have low internal resistance, they can be fully recharged at a lower voltage and accept a larger current which means that they will recharge much more quickly.
  6. They can safely be discharged more deeply than wet lead-acid batteries.
  7. When left unattended, an AGM battery will only discharge at a rate of up to 3% per month and, even when left idle for 12 months, can be brought back to a full charge. A wet lead-acid battery discharges at a rate of up to 4% per week.
  8. AGM batteries were originally developed for military use. They are designed and built to withstand movement, shock and vibration."
  9. (I apologise for the No. beside this point). Whilst appreciating that what they are selling MAY BE the RR of AGM Batteries, what is the difference between the technology of these batteries and other makes of AGM batteries that makes you say that they are not suitable for the Habitation side of motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back