Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all
:Smile:Right let pick some brains.
When using my jack during the really cold weather it sheered,:cry: been trying to get another, my m/h is around 4 ton, when I jack it up I'm not lifting all 4 tons up, just a corner, ei wheel, so what percentage is that, so what size of lifting jack would I need.
tia:thumb:
:thumb:Ray n Geri:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2 ton at a push but 3 ton for safety.

i jacked up the back of my 3850kg kontiki to service the alko axle using a 2 ton trolley (one side at a time, jack then axle stands)and it was bloody hard work.

Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
Jack

I carry the standard jack and a hydraulic jack capable of 6 tons, its not heavy and does not take up much room, as long as I have a block of wood it will raise the wheel off the ground if I have to. I think I bought it from Halfords or somewhere similar. cheers Lawrence

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Hi all
:Smile:Right let pick some brains.
When using my jack during the really cold weather it sheered,:cry: been trying to get another, my m/h is around 4 ton, when I jack it up I'm not lifting all 4 tons up, just a corner, ei wheel, so what percentage is that, so what size of lifting jack would I need.
tia:thumb:
:thumb:Ray n Geri:thumb:

:thumb:Hi Ray I use and carry in my van an 8 tonne bottle jack never had any problems lifting. It`s not big, in fact it is smaller than the joke of the scissor jack supplied with the base vehicle.I purchased it from my local machine mart it wasn`t to expensive either.Have had it for some years now and has got me and others out of trouble on several occasions

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Whatever jack you use you need to be able to get it under a safe jacking point, the front is okay but the back end can be awkward. The only type of jack that I can get under the back is a trolly jack.

Mike

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
My Hymer is 3900kg and I used to carry a 2 tonne trolley jack. First time I used it it buckled. Luckily it was on the drive at home.

This week a wheel bolt sheared off rear offside wheel. I had bought a 4 tonne bottle jack but it did not lift high enough so used the scissor jack that came with the van. Worked perfectly:Blush:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
One reminder - we all know it, but still forget ...

Thirty odd years ago, I was working on my Sprite racer one night in my garage, about 100 yards from the house. It weighed 5/8 of damn all.The front wheels were on the ground

I had a trolley jack under the diff. (No, not there yet). I had axle stands under the rear discs (it was pretty advanced.) As was my usual practice, I had blocks of wood - logs - under the rear chassis, where the springs fitted. These were insurance, in case an axle stand gave way, and were perhaps an inch or so under the chassis. So I had belt, braces and a bit of string.

I heaved back on something, and an axle stand fell over. The car din't really drop, but it slipped back a couple of inches... and something caught the roll neck of my sweater. ( ex submarine, and pretty tough). I couldn't breathe, and knew I had seconds to do something. God knows how, I somehow bent nearly double and pushed the whole car forward and got out. Back to the house for a whisky and think of a tale for the Boss.

So... take all precautions, but keep thinking. If I hadn't been v lucky, you wouldn't have the pleasure of my verbal dribbling from time to time.

OP
OP
Rayb182

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Many thanks for the advice:winky:, I bought a 6 tonne bottle jack off of ebay:Smile:that will seem to lift it safely:RollEyes:
Regards Ray n Geri

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back