Lifting

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Rayb182, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Hi all
    :Smile:Right let pick some brains.
    When using my jack during the really cold weather it sheered,:cry: been trying to get another, my m/h is around 4 ton, when I jack it up I'm not lifting all 4 tons up, just a corner, ei wheel, so what percentage is that, so what size of lifting jack would I need.
    tia:thumb:
    :thumb:Ray n Geri:thumb:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

2 ton at a push but 3 ton for safety.

i jacked up the back of my 3850kg kontiki to service the alko axle using a 2 ton trolley (one side at a time, jack then axle stands)and it was bloody hard work.

3. Lawrence

Lawrence Funster

Jack

I carry the standard jack and a hydraulic jack capable of 6 tons, its not heavy and does not take up much room, as long as I have a block of wood it will raise the wheel off the ground if I have to. I think I bought it from Halfords or somewhere similar. cheers Lawrence

4. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

:thumb:Hi Ray I use and carry in my van an 8 tonne bottle jack never had any problems lifting. It`s not big, in fact it is smaller than the joke of the scissor jack supplied with the base vehicle.I purchased it from my local machine mart it wasn`t to expensive either.Have had it for some years now and has got me and others out of trouble on several occasions

5. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    I wouldn't go for LESS than 4 ton,
    I have had problems in the past !!!!!!!!!!
    Nigel

6. M&L

M&L Read Only Funster

Whatever jack you use you need to be able to get it under a safe jacking point, the front is okay but the back end can be awkward. The only type of jack that I can get under the back is a trolly jack.

Mike

7. smifee

smifee Read Only Funster

My Hymer is 3900kg and I used to carry a 2 tonne trolley jack. First time I used it it buckled. Luckily it was on the drive at home.

This week a wheel bolt sheared off rear offside wheel. I had bought a 4 tonne bottle jack but it did not lift high enough so used the scissor jack that came with the van. Worked perfectly:Blush:

8. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

One reminder - we all know it, but still forget ...

Thirty odd years ago, I was working on my Sprite racer one night in my garage, about 100 yards from the house. It weighed 5/8 of damn all.The front wheels were on the ground

I had a trolley jack under the diff. (No, not there yet). I had axle stands under the rear discs (it was pretty advanced.) As was my usual practice, I had blocks of wood - logs - under the rear chassis, where the springs fitted. These were insurance, in case an axle stand gave way, and were perhaps an inch or so under the chassis. So I had belt, braces and a bit of string.

I heaved back on something, and an axle stand fell over. The car din't really drop, but it slipped back a couple of inches... and something caught the roll neck of my sweater. ( ex submarine, and pretty tough). I couldn't breathe, and knew I had seconds to do something. God knows how, I somehow bent nearly double and pushed the whole car forward and got out. Back to the house for a whisky and think of a tale for the Boss.

So... take all precautions, but keep thinking. If I hadn't been v lucky, you wouldn't have the pleasure of my verbal dribbling from time to time.

9. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Many thanks for the advice:Wink:, I bought a 6 tonne bottle jack off of ebay:Smile:that will seem to lift it safely:RollEyes:
    Regards Ray n Geri