Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi all you fit able bodied ebikers ..just wondering if you put your bike on the cycle rack how do you lift it ..?? My rack is 4ft to the bottom rail and bike weighs approx 18kgs with battery off. I can just about lift it on but I have to do it in three stages using a small platform ..Roy

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have a two step ladder we could use as our rack is half way up the back of the Moho, ridiculously high but I think it's because the tow bar is set up to carry a scooter.
You can see our problem, were in the middle.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We have a two step ladder we could use as our rack is half way up the back of the Moho, ridiculously high but I think it's because the tow bar is set up to carry a scooter.
You can see our problem, were in the middle.

View attachment 99585
good lord that's even higher than mine..i have one of the aluminum platforms,but as its only me lifting it takes it out of me ,nearly need to camp in an oxygen tent afterwards.haha. Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As we are not ever likely to use it I took it off to see what it looks like but it looked very odd so I put it back on. :LOL::LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thinking 'outside the box' ... would it be possible to install a small winch of some sort, ideally an electric one so that you can use it to work the winch with one hand (ie remote control/cable) to raise the bike up whilst you steady it with the other hand? A manual system may also work but it could be hard work trying to do it with just one hand.

Alternative is to replace your rack with one of the type of racks that lifts up/down - not cheap but would solve the problem.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Thinking 'outside the box' ... would it be possible to install a small winch of some sort, ideally an electric one so that you can use it to work the winch with one hand (ie remote control/cable) to raise the bike up whilst you steady it with the other hand? A manual system may also work but it could be hard work trying to do it with just one hand.

Alternative is to replace your rack with one of the type of racks that lifts up/down - not cheap but would solve the problem.
Really good ideas ,thankyou.I have a small manual pulley type winch in garage which I use for lifting up small items to paint . It has a lifting capacity of 30kgs so will see if I can modify that ..thanks for your input . Roy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is this for one bike or two....Have seen it done of small steps by one person..looked very precarious to be honest. I would ask some one passing for assistance, far safer as a two person job. are you sure the rack can take the weight? as its not unknown for a rack to fly of the back wall on UK Motorhomes over an unseen speed bump for instance or even the rear wall fall out:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its for one e-bike Eddie weighing 18kg without the battery so a normal bike rack would be more than able to take the weight of it ... so long as the rack was fitted correctly of course! :D

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Not sure of the height of ours but have the same problem which I can be overcome by lifting the back wheel almost to vertical and resting it in the rack channel, then lift the front end and roll the bike along the channel.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We carry a cheapo plastic caravan step. Comes in handy as a little table and is very light. Don't know if it would be high enough for you though?

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not sure of the height of ours but have the same problem which I can be overcome by lifting the back wheel almost to vertical and resting it in the rack channel, then lift the front end and roll the bike along the channel.
Never thought of that ,duhh! Will give that a try tomorrow..so thanks ..Roy

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We carry a cheapo plastic caravan step. Comes in handy as a little table and is very light. Don't know if it would be high enough for you though?
I have a step up little folding bench which is 60 cms high to help me ,I also use it as a seat when playing my guitar or as a little coffee table ..but thanks for suggesting a step . Roy

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Is this for one bike or two....Have seen it done of small steps by one person..looked very precarious to be honest. I would ask some one passing for assistance, far safer as a two person job. are you sure the rack can take the weight? as its not unknown for a rack to fly of the back wall on UK Motorhomes over an unseen speed bump for instance or even the rear wall fall out:)
Only the one bike,but may be looking for assistance if it proves too difficult ..thanks

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We lift our bikes with them laid back, horizontal. Rest both wheels in the track and then push the bikes up to the vertical position and find that this saves lifting, all the weight of the bike, high up

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A small caravan step helps and always ask for help if people around.
On a site in the Loire we were parked near a stunning Swiss female single traveller as she was about to lift her bike on the back at least 5 men came out from nowhere to offer help! She politely refused and got out a little aluminium step ladder!! Plenty of crestfallen male egos!!
However talking to her later I did ask why she refused help and she explained that once a n elderly man came to help and his wife got very stroppy with her as if she was asking for more than just a lift with the bike!! We had a laugh at that!! A lovely adventurous lady who said she didn't like to drive alone but there was so much of the world to see!!(y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I also use it as a seat when playing my guitar

You didn't tell me you were a closet Rock star when we arranged our convoy trip, I do hope you're not going to turn into the neighbor from Hell, (can I have your autograph before you get too big for your boots). :wink:

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You didn't tell me you were a closet Rock star when we arranged our convoy trip, I do hope you're not going to turn into the neighbor from Hell, (can I have your autograph before you get too big for your boots). :wink:
No problem with autograph Griff ,I can do it with a spray can on side of your moho..you will be the envy everywhere you travel ..as for guitar playing shouldn't affect you too much as will only be bringing the 1000w portable amp....lol.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Only the one bike,but may be looking for assistance if it proves too difficult ..thanks

It may be worth taking Mel's advice and fitting a different rack instead of doing yourself a mischief.....Its only money after all.There are wind up versions...

like these. Nothing sensible is cheap

Or...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think if you did use it you would have to change you username to Badback. :) Those sort of rack are really only for lightweight push bikes.
I've decided after careful consideration, debate and medical advice we are going to use it for looking at. :D

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
Having bought a motorhome we're now looking at ebikes. All this is very interesting with some jewels of wisdom. Price becomes more important when we're buying two - after shelling out for the motorhome!
Any handouts gratefully received!
Seakerr

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We're in Barton on Sea. Travel about a bit but at home now. Just exchanged out caravan for an Elddis Encore but Easter with attendant grandkids coming gaetting in the way. We plan to go to the Peterborough show for access to accessories and electric bikes. I take it that you're in this lovely county?
Seakerr

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thank you S & S
But I think that I'll give tha one a miss for now. Maybe next year. Sounds like a good solution though..but first we must find the right ebikes!
Seakerr

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thank you S & S
But I think that I'll give tha one a miss for now. Maybe next year. Sounds like a good solution though..but first we must find the right ebikes!
Seakerr
If you have a reasonable budget you can't go wrong with the Haibike brand. They do both yahama and bosch. Bosch is better and more expensive but I'm sure either would suit you fine. Going for a budget alternative as it's a bit of a minefield. If you do find a cheaper brand you like, don't rush to buy. Google it and see what people are saying. If it's dead silence. ...avoid. This forum is the place to go for good advice. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk Good luck!

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Many thanks for that advice. I'll check up on the website now.
Only time will tell just how much we will use the ebikes. If we don't use them very much then expensive ones might not be good v for m.
Dilemma. (Should have used that for my pen name!)
Seakerr

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I do the same a Clickem I put the bars straight with the frame on the inside one just incase, also
makes them fit better on frame

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back