Life is moving on !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Kevinthecat, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

Well I will be 55 next month and if the next 10 years go as fast as the last 10, then I need to do things now!
    No mortgage (paid off ) , no debts , no dependants .
    My head is full of thoughts of giving up my job , live off my savings and downsizing the property to enable me to follow through going off in the van for long periods.
    I am still wanting to get a dog , but theres a little voice in my head telling me wait another few years to do this.
    I have always worked , started at 12 with a newspaper round/Saturday job then at 16 full time work , then night school for my O levels to enable me to get into nursing . Imagining life without a full time job seems stange.
    Its the fear factor I guess. :Sad:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Well done Kevin, be warned time flies :cry:

Peter

3. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Imagine you are on your deathbed; would you prefer to be saying "I did some wonderful things in my life, saw beautiful places and have amazing memories", OR "I wish that I could have had the courage to do all the things that I wanted to do but now it's too late."

If you really want something strongly enough then you will find a way to achieve it. I'll always remember what an old lady once said to me. She said, "When I was younger I never had enough money to travel. Now I'm older and I have the money I no longer have the good health for travelling."

• Like Like x 6
  4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

You would be surprised how cheaply you can live if you put your mind to it:thumb:

As they say in project management circles JFDI!:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Get your rescue dog, settle him in and then you can both go off and discover the world.

No point looking at wonderful walks and so on wishing you had a dog to tag along. Go and do it - life is too short!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mel

Mel Funster

Follow your dream.

Only you can know if its the right thing for .

Whatever your choice I wish you all the best.

Mel

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I retired at 58, just wish I'd been able to do it earlier. You will miss work as much as you would miss a stone in your shoe.:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. jennyp19

jennyp19 Read Only Funster

Be warned the older you get, the quicker time seems to fly by - if you thought the last 10 were quick the next 10 will be super sonic. :cry:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Phill D

Phill D

we both retired early last year me at 61 wife younger :Rofl1: it is definitely fear factor once you have reached a certain the point that you have. weve most of us been there.

Wife had a "wake up call" and we got through it:thumb:

so we dropped everything and now just do what we like, when we like. we did a simple reassessment of what was financially important and got on with it.

ok, so any major unnecessary expenditure may have to be carefully planned, but that should probably have been the case when we were both working:Doh:

there a simple saying we used in the last place i worked ... " Think Nike" there sloggan

" JUST DO IT":Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  10. manda3000gt

manda3000gt Funster

No1 Get a dog, nothing compares to the pure love of a dog
    No2 Have a dream, an idea, whatever it is give it a go !, if it does not work you will try/ move onto something else, it won't kill you ! there's always another road or idea to follow

Try Anything...Regret Nothing :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  11. busby

busby Funster

Enjoy your self its later than you think. Been retired 12years, been travelling Europe 10 years, sold the house 7 years ago (rent from housing association now} to fund life style. We dont regret a day of it. Long may we travel. BUSBY

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

From your post I would think you are trying to justify things to your self, is there any good reason not to do it now, have you read the thread on Morocco, just a little taste of what life can be like, no reason you can not do a bit of work now and then if you really want to, how about fostering a dog for a couple of months, see how you get on with that, if it feels right then get your own dog.

Live your dream while you can, share it with us some times, go on you know you want to, :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

From a Fulltimer...

It is better to regret something you have done than something you wish you did...

• Like Like x 2
  14. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Smile: 55? You are just a baby. Get out there and do it.... still young enought to take another fork in the road if you take the wrong one..

• Like Like x 1
  15. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

After being in the NHS for 35 yrs. I was very worried about whether I could afford to live if I retired at 60. I can honestly say I am relieved to find that not only can I get by unsalaried but barely notice the difference except NOT HAVING TO GO TO WORK. I tell everyone that retirement is the best job I've ever had :BigGrin:
    Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  16. bungy

bungy Funster

i think this line from the last paragraphs of the theworldisourlobster blog sums it up nicely.....

"I've learned to live in the moment and not by the list; to appreciate the simple things in life; and to recognise that fear is all in the mind"

• Like Like x 2
  17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Instead of giving up work altogether, would you be able instead to take a sabbatical or gap year? It would allow you to see how you got one before you made the decision a permanent one. If you do then leave work, as a nurse you could then always do some 'cover' agency work as and when you wanted/needed to.

It isn't just black and white, therre are various shades of grey too ... 50 I hear!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1