Life Expectancy for Tyres (in Miles)?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by dna, Oct 27, 2011.

1. dna

dna Funster

We have a front wheel drive ducato based motorhome which has now done about 16,000 miles and the front tyres are starting to look worn (not down to the depth markers yet).

What kind of mileage would be typical for front tyres on this type of motorhome?

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We have just replaced our front tyres, they had covered 18,000 miles. The rear tyres which were fitted at the same time as the fronts still have plenty of tread.

Brisey.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

how long is a bit of string, the life you get from a type depends on driving style, road surface, manufacturer, individual batch number, average temperatures, tyre pressures, weight of the motorhome, how, its actually loaded etc etc etc. you get what you get and no way you can get a reasonable comparison with anyone else. Sorry.

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I recon it's down to the weight of your right foot.....with many m/hs the age factor comes in before milage as it is rccomended to replace them after 5 years

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Well I for one would not be to pleased if I only got 16000 miles out of a set of tyres. Have been known to do that mileage in a year so would be looking at another tyre manufacturer or something well out of track somewhere.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I changed back to front about 15K and got 30K out of the set.

None of this 5 year bollox, at 7 the only thing wrong was depth.

7. dna

dna Funster

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Our tyres are not ready for replacement yet - i was just wondering what a typical life time was for them. My trip for work today (A roads and through a couple of towns) gave a reported 34.7mpg on the trip computer so I think that is a fairly light right foot. Long trips on motorways can be worse for the mpg when we cruise nearer 70 than 60 but tyre wear on motorways should be relatvely low.

8. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Our van has done about 28k and still on the original set of tyres. Still plenty of tread left yet. My mate is looking at them this weekend to see if they need changing (5 1/2 years old) and if they do he will change them. However, he doubted they would need doing!

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

39600 miles on Goodyear G51 225/75/19.5 steel belt radial commercial tyres and around 8 to 10mm tread left and no sidewall deterioration...and unless I'm mistaken and I looked at the wrong date code, they are the original tyres from new ....12 years old and the spare has never seen tarmac, still has the red and blue paint lines round the tread

10. smudger

smudger Funster

absolutley agree brian....i have done over 25,000. and i changed them around on last service....i expect at least another 20,00 out of them
    :Smile:

11. veevee

veevee Funster

Now on third Ducato Maxi panel van and mostly driving close to fully loaded (3.5t).

Found Michelin tyres suit this van best and indeed give good mileage for our use. The average tyre life used only on the fronts is 45 - 50,000 miles.
    Michelin cost a little more than other brands but feel like value for money with that mileage.

When the vans were bought have had Goodyear OE tyres? and Continental. Not the same mileage and not as sure footed in my personal experience.

12. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

Found this on RTL'S website Its a Google translation from French :Eeek:

Tires: new labeling Europe from late 2012
    RTL - 27.10.2011, 09:54 | Last updated: 27.10.2011, 10:50 | 0 Comment (s)

Tires: With a new label, motorists will be better informed on fuel consumption and wet grip.

The label must be affixed to all new tires from November 2012 at the European level will allow the customer to be better informed about security, consumption and noise are determined by the condition of the tires.

The right tire can significantly reduce fuel consumption of a car. The labels indicate the consumer, such as those, for example, appear on the refrigerator to indicate their energy consumption. This will be Class A which is green at the G dark red, Lie said Junius Goodyear Belgium.

In the future, these labels will help the client find the tires that are best suited to their driving style and the driving conditions of their vehicle, according to Jean-Paul Bruck Goodyear Luxembourg.

A presentation on this topic by experts was held Wednesday at Kirchberg. One of them was the Italian Renzo Cicilloni, Director of Security Division of the Association of European car makers in Brussels. He emphasized the huge role played by tires and suitable quality road safety even if it's not all.

Thursday, a large number of tires will be tested on the circuit of Colmar-Berg. To mark this event, 140 journalists from 25 countries are invited to Luxembourg and all this in the context of the European directive which aims to halve the number of deaths on European roads by 2020.

Attached Files:

13. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The mileage you get from tyres is so variable due to so many factors. Best mileage I've had was 72,000 from a set of Michelins on a small work van but they gave lousy grip especially on wet roads. Worst was 16,500 from a pair of Avon Turbospeeds but they stuck to the road like poo on a picnic blanket. I frequently have to advise customers of tyre age exceeding 6 years an this is often accompanied by cracking of sidewalls.

D.

14. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

On my old Autotrail, Fiat 2.8 at 15000 miles the tread was virtually as new but the side walls were deteriating. On my Burstner, Fiat 3.0 at 13000 miles there about 5mm off tread left on the fronts. The backs are as new, looking at the front tyres on 2 or 3 year old 3 litre engined fiat based M/Hs they all seemed to show tyre wear. The 3.0 has a lot more torque than the old 2.8.

15. buttons

buttons Funster

I normally get around 40K miles. Dont make the mistake that I did, I couldn't find the same tyres so following the recommendation of the supplier I fitted a cheaper commercial tyre. Couldn't stand the harsh ride so changed them again:cry::cry:

16. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

As already stated, there are so many variations in types, quality, composition and then the use factors. They are like shoes, they all wear differently.

Dave gave a perfect example of hard and soft composites, soft wear quickly but grip well, hard wear slower but do not grip well in the cold. The ideal scenario would be to use hard in the summer, and soft in the winter.

The perfect tyre has been discovered - but will never go into production! I tested a tyre for Goodyear many moons ago, and that really was the perfect tyre giving grip in all weathers, and it never sustained any visable wear after the first two reports - they never did produce it for obvious reasons.