Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Back in Feb I passed my Mod 2 & it was just over a month before I purchased a bike.
Well after endless searching & looking I eventually got out to vie some bikes, I wanted something suitable for a passenger NO SPORTSBIKES.......... a Tourer A Pan Europeean was my choice but after spending some time looking at one I decided it was too heavy, too big & decided to look for alternatives.
I soon settled on the Yamaha FZ6 S2 (Fazer) but it was just too much ££££ however once I realised I could pick up a bike with ABS the search was on......

A trip to Budget Bike in Swindon was on & there was a huge choice complete with a fantastic deal on the day for a FZ6 S2 but I just couldn't stretch enough to bite the bullet.
The next day we went to Coventry to look at a One Owner Suzuki with ABS & a deal was done.

1x Suzuki GSF 650 SA Bandit K7 delivered for £2050.00

DSC_1357_zpswui0liuh.jpg

DSC_1356_zpsb1wil7jl.jpg

& the Learing Really started.............

Well ive started learning the real method of Countersteering & watched a fantastic video Twist of the Wrist II that fully explains cornering, I have good days & I have bad days, one day it all gels & the other I probably look like a complete twat that should not hold a licence to ride.
I think I am only just starting to get the hang of it but I have no intention of Filtering unless absolutely necessary or speeding infact the fastest I have gone was almost 80 by accident honest.

Aerodynamics : I wish this was something that was explained to me as I passed my test on a naked & went out & bought a faired motorcycle for some protection at speed however it has turned out to be an absolute night mare as the aerodynamics of the motorcycle combined with some weight loss around the face have played absolute havoc with my helmet. The result is the wind is being forced to my neck & up into my helmet & thus my ears have suffered. Oh how I wish I had known about this..........
Well I love the bike mostly its not fuel injected so I have had to adapt & learn some more & slow riding is an absolute art with a bike that has carbs & an after-market exhaust. But the main issue is the wind noise.
So at the beginning of the week I ordered a Vstream screen & am currently waiting for delivery & today after trying to stuff all-sorts into my helmet I decided to go & just look n try on some new helmets, well after a visit to my local shop to look but not buy I walked out with a new Schurbeg C3 Pro the quietest helmet in the world just dont ask how much.....................................:eek:

I am looking forward to the ride to work in the morning.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Out of interest Rob, do you wear ear plugs?

Ian

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Back in Feb I passed my Mod 2 & it was just over a month before I purchased a bike.
Well after endless searching & looking I eventually got out to vie some bikes, I wanted something suitable for a passenger NO SPORTSBIKES.......... a Tourer A Pan Europeean was my choice but after spending some time looking at one I decided it was too heavy, too big & decided to look for alternatives.
I soon settled on the Yamaha FZ6 S2 (Fazer) but it was just too much ££££ however once I realised I could pick up a bike with ABS the search was on......

A trip to Budget Bike in Swindon was on & there was a huge choice complete with a fantastic deal on the day for a FZ6 S2 but I just couldn't stretch enough to bite the bullet.
The next day we went to Coventry to look at a One Owner Suzuki with ABS & a deal was done.

1x Suzuki GSF 650 SA Bandit K7 delivered for £2050.00

DSC_1357_zpswui0liuh.jpg

DSC_1356_zpsb1wil7jl.jpg

& the Learing Really started.............

Well ive started learning the real method of Countersteering & watched a fantastic video Twist of the Wrist II that fully explains cornering, I have good days & I have bad days, one day it all gels & the other I probably look like a complete twat that should not hold a licence to ride.
I think I am only just starting to get the hang of it but I have no intention of Filtering unless absolutely necessary or speeding infact the fastest I have gone was almost 80 by accident honest.

Aerodynamics : I wish this was something that was explained to me as I passed my test on a naked & went out & bought a faired motorcycle for some protection at speed however it has turned out to be an absolute night mare as the aerodynamics of the motorcycle combined with some weight loss around the face have played absolute havoc with my helmet. The result is the wind is being forced to my neck & up into my helmet & thus my ears have suffered. Oh how I wish I had known about this..........
Well I love the bike mostly its not fuel injected so I have had to adapt & learn some more & slow riding is an absolute art with a bike that has carbs & an after-market exhaust. But the main issue is the wind noise.
So at the beginning of the week I ordered a Vstream screen & am currently waiting for delivery & today after trying to stuff all-sorts into my helmet I decided to go & just look n try on some new helmets, well after a visit to my local shop to look but not buy I walked out with a new Schurbeg C3 Pro the quietest helmet in the world just dont ask how much.....................................:eek:

I am looking forward to the ride to work in the morning.
How much was the helmet ?

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Its worth it to keep trying with ear plugs.I never ride without them.There are alot of different
sorts of earplugs out there,just keep trying different sorts till you find the ones for you.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Stay safe ,bikes scare the s**t out of me but all you bikers love them so safe travels. I'll stick to shank's pony and a push bike!:cycle:

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Love the Bandit...! Have a fantastic time on her...I'm assuming it's a she..has she got a name yet? ;):LOL:

As for earplugs..it is worthwhile trying them all...but I hope the new helmet helps at least for now. I wear hearing aids but they used to whistle like hell in the helmet...often sounded like Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells...even after the helmet came off! :rolleyes: I eventually turned them off and left them in my ears whilst riding as I couldn't get on with alternatives. It worked for me! :) However, I know some bikers who had just the ear molds specially made for them, with no tubing for hearing aid attachments. They take very little getting used to due to the personal fit. It may be an idea for you to consider...and it's far better than thundering earache! (y)

Whatever you do...safe riding...and enjoy! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Good bike the ole Bandit got the same for my lad when he passed his test. Try to use ear plugs they do get easier.
Don't worry about ability it takes years to make a good rider and lots of experience. Just get out and ride you'll be learning and honing your skills every time. Been riding since I was 13 now 62 raced for 15 years instructed for 5 years yet still learning it never stops.
Off to Spain on mine tomorrow.:)
Enjoy.(y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I keep repeating
Motor Cycling is perfectly safe(y)

So long as you remember how Dangerous it is;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you go online looking for samples there is a company that supplies a box with all different sizes ans shapes. Once you have found the ones that are comfy you can then buy a box usually 200 pair.
My wife uses the same as I do but our youngest uses different ones completely.
You do need ear protection, I SAID YOU DO NEED EAR PROTECTION!
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you go online looking for samples there is a company that supplies a box with all different sizes ans shapes. Once you have found the ones that are comfy you can then buy a box usually 200 pair.
My wife uses the same as I do but our youngest uses different ones completely.
You do need ear protection, I SAID YOU DO NEED EAR PROTECTION!
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I dont supposed you know the name by any chance.

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Don't forget the leathers. Make a big difference if you do have a spill

I currently have a full RST textile & boots setup but wish to buy something for the warmer days.....
I bought the missus Frank Thomas Jacket, Helmet, Gloves & Boots but we could not get trousers small enough to fit her so she has some Oxford Jeans instead/

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Excellent choice. The only limitation now is your time and imagination.

But do remember, they are out to get you. Assume the worst and you'll always be pleasantly surprised.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the wind shield will make a huge difference when it arrives.

But will it be for the good ?

Screens are the spawn of the devil. I've read more posts on buffeting than just about anything else. What is a perfect cure for one is a disaster for another. It was the Suzuki V-Strom that was the greatest challenge to me and hundreds of others.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I tried them & cant get on with them
You can buy packs on eBay which contain a couple of pairs of different types of disposables. Keep trying until you get a pair with a comfy fit, then buy a bunch of those. I've tried a few types of custom made ones but always go back to disposable. I won't get on the bike without wearing plugs. I also shoot and that's two pastimes which can damage hearing so I don't take chances with either.

Allan

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I too used to struggle with earplugs then I tried the wax ones from boots the chemist . They are really good, cut out most of the noise but can still hear traffic and they do not fall out just after I have put my helmet and gloves on. Do try to persevere with earplugs as if not you will damage your hearing. I SAID YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR HEARING.:D. Oh and welcome to the world of motorcycling, roll on summer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back