Lidl next week (specially for Chris) (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I was under the impression that chains for heavy vehicles need to be heavy duty.

Those shown, look as though they will fall apart on a camper.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do you need those with snow tyres ?

If it's very deep you do.

Last year though we had about 5 inches of snow and my car was one of only a handful on the roads.

I really like winter tyres - they are better than you would think.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Even 4x4s:

1. I drive a 4 x 4. Do I need snowchains? Which axle should I fit them to?
You’re required by law to carry snow chains on most Alpine roads. Some people will tell you that the police are sometimes lenient with 4 x 4s, but we know from experience that they do usually enforce the law. If you haven't got snowchains you'll be sent back down the mountain, hoping desperately that you'll find a shop which is (a) open and (b) stocks the chains you need. It’s always best to take them with you! Even if it's not snowing on your way up to the resort, it may be a completely different story when you come to leave. You'll certainly appreciate the security that snow chains offer when you get to the steep bits! It's also fair to point out that many 4 x 4s, especially the very expensive ones, use tyres which give no better grip on ice and snow than ordinary summer car tyres.
Note that AutoSock, and any other brands of textile car sock, are NOT approved for use where snow chains are required, whatever you might read elsewhere.

By chance ::bigsmile: I happen to have 2 pairs of snow chains, new and unused on eBay
Link Removed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I used to have a Toyota Landcruiser but it was rubbish in the snow with road tyres on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I bought a set the same
useless
hard to put on and forever breaking links
used them 3 times twice in uk once in Belgium
last seen in a ditch outside wolvertem

Try tyre socks, easier to fit and no problem for short distance on tarmac. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back