License issue (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hi all, A friend of mine has the post 1997 license and is limited to 3,500 kg. what is involved in upgrading his license so he can drive a motorhome heavier than 3,500 kg? Cheers for any info , sean

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
take c test, some say same price and can drive bigger mh or rv
Yup, do C test, gives you more entitlement. Although a caution that may put some off, the training vehicle will be a rigid HGV, with a 'funny' gearbox, if that puts your friend off, best to go for c1 test.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bear in mind with a C class licence there are medicals to be taken at regular inttervals.
intervals vary with age

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
@DanielFord re"funny gearbox", once drove an old rr lorry, , first was normal, second were third normaly is, third were second was and fourth normal.
had fun on some hills,lol

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@ianandkath It'll be 4 over 4, or straight 6. In my mind 4 over 4 is easier, but apparently my opinion is in the minority, with most liking straight 6. Do a youtube search to see them in action :D

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
thanks daniel, ill look at them. this was on old ex army rr, with 3 gearlevers.
1 for gears, 1 for 4/6 wheel drive and 1 for low/high range

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
@ianandkath It'll be 4 over 4, or straight 6. In my mind 4 over 4 is easier, but apparently my opinion is in the minority, with most liking straight 6. Do a youtube search to see them in action :D
c test requires minimum 8 forward gears .
c1 as many or as little as you like.
mind these days could be auto for all.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
thought i saw a thread about taking test in auto and getting manual licence somewhere

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there

Just been through this too..

To obtain the c licence you need to take a medical along with an eye test.

Then you need to pass your theory (100 hgv questions) and hazard perception test

As mentioned above you can take you test in the auto and this gives the full c entitlement there isn't a manual or auto only licence.

Was also the same price for me to do the c or the c1 so i opted for the C.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You only get a full C licence, that is auto and manual if you already have a manual licence EG B, car licence. If you only have an auto licence for cars then to get a C licence for LGV manual you will have to pass in a manual. Hope this makes sense to you.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i got my c+e when doing hgv recovery work, so i was one of the lucky ones that didnt have to do a theory test. passed in the old class 3 and got my class 1 a bit later when they changed the law that recovery of a artic meant i was an artic so needed class1

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Aaaaaah, memories (y). Six speed with twin splitter and a two speed axle. Possible thirty six gears to f**k up. :p

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Fun? It was a bloody nightmare sometimes, spesh when trying to rush a gear change. :eek: :LOL::LOL:
Going from 4th to 5th, select 1st and split :D That was my favourite

[edit]
OK before anyone says it, the order is wrong, but I know what I mean :D

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
lol badknee,, i leart to dive in a 17 ton lorry with a 4 speed crash box in the middle of london.
mind you that was in 1976. roads were quieter then,lol

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
lol badknee,, i leart to dive in a 17 ton lorry with a 4 speed crash box in the middle of london.
mind you that was in 1976. roads were quieter then,lol
My Swift has a crash box on 3rd at the moment! LOL
That's why it's being repaired :D

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
despite most modern trucks now being auto/semi auto I find it disturbing that you can do your test in an auto truck, there are enough older trucks about to necessitate proving you can control a large vehicle with a complicated gearbox.

Things like being in the correct gear for your speed on the road and coming down the box as you slow for a junction may have gone out of the window in cars( wrongly IMO) but are still an important skill in 44tonne of HGV

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
true@jabberwocky, but dont forget a lot of modern trucks are not autobox

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
despite most modern trucks now being auto/semi auto I find it disturbing that you can do your test in an auto truck, there are enough older trucks about to necessitate proving you can control a large vehicle with a complicated gearbox.

Things like being in the correct gear for your speed on the road and coming down the box as you slow for a junction may have gone out of the window in cars( wrongly IMO) but are still an important skill in 44tonne of HGV
No argument from me!

[edit]
Mind you I still think car drivers should be taught a double de-clutch!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

The vast majority of Artics on distribution & general Haulage are now Auto in fact a Manual is an optional extra with all manufacturers, we train Cat on manual or Auto we try to talk candidates into Manual we have both 4 over 4 and 6 split, however anyone training for RV/motorhome we would recomend auto as most of what they will drive after passing will be auto or straight 5/6 gearbox if someone has passed in a manual Cat c then the Artic will be trained in an Auto, we can off Manual C+E but that will be in a wagon & drag.

Being in the correct gear definately hasn't gone out of the window and still a good reason for failing the test, Auto box's and use of enduranc brakes when aproaching Junctions will ensure the correct gear for your speed is obtained, I do take on board what you say about being able to use the gearbox but they are dissapearing rapidly even in Rigids now, the law was changed because it was getting harder to find late trucks with eight speed box's, still I wish they had only changed the regulation for Cat C+E and not C, but for motorhomes it's a bonus that it's changed.

Cheers Rick

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
No argument from me!

[edit]
Mind you I still think car drivers should be taught a double de-clutch!

Why?

Double de clutch on a HGV test now and you will fail the test in fact thats true of the last ten years, the theory even teaches that it leads to excsessive clutch wear, which of course in a syncro box working properly it does and there is no need to do it.

If you need to double de clutch either the box requires attention or you have a fantastic old vehicle and I could well be jealous :)

Cheers Rick

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Sadly the former, knackered gearbox :D

You have my sympathy at £4,000 a pop with a clutch we get through one a year minimum always the same new trainee races gearchanges but can't name the tune..........I can it's called a cash register............never had this problem with a crash box (y) was going to like your post somehow didn't seem appropriate when you got to replace a box

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back