licences over 45 C1

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Welsh girl, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

just pulled this from the direct gov site anyone heard of this ?

Bus and lorry drivers – new driving licence validity periods

The rules for lorry and bus driving licences will change from 19 January 2013. Licences issued from this date will be valid for five years, up to age 65. Find out how these changes will affect you.

New drivers passing a driving test from 19 January 2013

If you pass your driving test in categories C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E, after 19 January 2013 you'll receive a licence valid for five years.

Every five years up to age 45, you'll need to sign a declaration to confirm that you still meet the medical standards.
    After age 45, you'll need to provide a medical examination report every five years to renew your driving entitlement

Existing minibus, bus and lorry drivers

Drivers under 45 years old

If you passed a driving test in one of the categories below, you'll come under the new rules when you renew your driving licence.

The categories affected are C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E.

When you renew your licence, you'll receive a licence that is valid for five years. Every time you renew it, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will need you to confirm that you still meet the medical standards.

If you apply to replace your licence because it is lost/stolen, or your personal details have changed, your new licence will run until the end of your original period. However, if you update your photo at the same time, you'll come under the new five-year rule.

Drivers over 45 years old

Drivers over 45 will continue to renew their entitlement as they do now.

When you renew your licence at the end of a five-year period, you'll be renewing your driving entitlement. You'll need to provide a medical examination report.
    Download ‘medical examination report’ - D4 (PDF, 211K)
    Help with PDF files

Expiry dates explained

The expiry date of your licence will be shown on the front of the card in section 4b. The expiry date of your entitlement will be shown on the back of the card.

Medical conditions

You’ll still need to let DVLA know at any time if you suffer from a medical condition that may prevent you from driving. Don't wait until you renew your licence to do this.

In this section...
    Changes to driving licence rules in Great Britain
    New driving licence rules for mopeds, motorcycles and tricycles
    New rules for towing trailers with a car or small vehicle
    New rules for vehicles you can drive and minimum ages
    The new driving licence card design explained

• Like Like x 1
  2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

That is useful information

That is useful information. DVLA seems to be changing a lot of things these days based on age or when your photo changes or you move address.

Seems it is going to cost the motorist a lot more money. Interesting to see just how many categories it catches.

Bob

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Damn, I am 41 this year so not long till it applies to me.

this is getting confusing now.

My car entitlement (b) expires 2041
    My van entitlement (c1) expires 2016
    My license expires 2019
    I am 45 in 2016.

Grrrr. What a mess.:Doh:

4. madbluemad

madbluemad

I'm proceeding as before on the basis that I don't understand a a word it says.
    Jim
    :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

6. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Thanks for putting the link in I didnt think to do that!!!:thumb:

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

Have you seen the medical examination report required for people over 45 :Eeek:
    Jim
    :cry:

8. truffs

truffs Funster

Ive just had a quick look at the medical download, as if doctors havnt got enough to do.

9. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

This medical is a private transaction between the driver and the doctor. The recommended fee is about £150 for the medical.

Joan has just had to have one to retain her C1E at 70 and that cost £115. All drivers who passed their test before 1997 were granted C1E (vehicles over 3.5 tonns but under 7.5 tonns) This was known as Grandfather Rights. But those after that date had to pass a separate test. (C1 is vehicles over 3.5 tonn but under 7.5 tonn. E is for trailers C is the HGV hicence)

As I understood it if you had C1E before 1997 you kept it without a medical unitl age 70.

HGV (C) & PCV (D) drivers have to have the medical at 45 and every 5 years after that. At 70 they have to have annual medical, whereas a Driver of a Motorhome (C1) over 70 is only required to have the medical every 3 years.

John

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Surely it is illegal to discriminate solely on the basis of age. What do our legal eagles think?

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

been having to have a medical for hgv and psv since i was 45. its been like it for along time . medical prices vary depends on your doctor . the other day some one mentioned a doctor system set up for cheap medicals . wish i had know my last one was 140quid.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IanRS

IanRS Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi yes thats the ones .someone mentioned them not long aga .good price as i recall. will have to write it down ,memory failure .

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I think theres a little confusion here....

i have category C1, C1E, D1 and D1E on my licence but have never taken a test for any of them.... I have them as a 'grandfather' right since i passed my normal car test back in 1982.

I believe what this new move means is, if you took any of the above as a specific test for that category alone then the new rules apply....not to any driver with grandfather rights.

IE: you took the new C1E test to increase your train limit to 12000kg instead of sticking with the grandfather right to drive up to 8250kg train weight.

also......

Drivers over 45 will continue to renew their entitlement as they do now which will apply to the majority of funsters..

this is only my interpretation of the new rules....just as DVLA interpret the rules as they see fit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I would not worry about poor doctors, mine charged me £120 plus VAT for writing out my report and medical 30 minutes in total, bad as solicitors.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  16. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

we charge in 6 minute slots

Peter we charge in 6 minute slots... so do not talk to a solicitor for 7 minutes otherwise you are charged for 12 minutes... dependant on the hourly rate is what you will get charged.

£120 for 30 minutes would be equal to £240 an hour for a solicitor and there are plenty out there that charge as low as £90 per our.. Ok if you want a London firm and a senior partner then it could be a lot more per hour..

The ones that earn the money are the dentists these days.

Bob

17. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Well, I consider myself lucky, my GP wants £50.00 for my mdical, which I will be having in the very ner future.

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

mmmm, now I need to renew my C+E license every 5 years, but they don't care about my H license which allows me to career down the road in a 65 tonne tank!:Rofl1:

19. TheHat

TheHat Funster Life Member

hgv

just had to renew mine, med. cost £120 been having them every 5 year's since i was 45 now 60 but it is tax deductible but they give it your tax code over 5 years

20. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

hi .i renewed my hgv 1 licence last month (55now)my medical cost £116 FOR ABOUT 15 MINS OF MY DOCTORS TIME not bad wages hey.:thumb::thumb: