Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Well 70 is almost upon me. I received my new licence to 2016 from DVLA this week.

I had my eyes tested when I came back (after 6 months of continental travel) in March. Had the medical on 19th April with my own doctor and sent the forms off the next day.

I have read often that people give up their grandfathers rights (C1+E) at 70 because they cannot be bothered with all the fuss. I didn't find the process a hassle.

I know that my health is up to scratch now and that I have 3 years of touring ahead of me. Yippee!

John

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Well 70 is almost upon me. I received my new licence to 2016 from DVLA this week.

I had my eyes tested when I came back (after 6 months of continental travel) in March. Had the medical on 19th April with my own doctor and sent the forms off the next day.

I have read often that people give up their grandfathers rights (C1+E) at 70 because they cannot be bothered with all the fuss. I didn't find the process a hassle.

I know that my health is up to scratch now and that I have 3 years of touring ahead of me. Yippee!

John

Not wishing to pry John, but would you summarise the ‘Medical’ please. I’m sure there are many of us who are a little apprehensive.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Not wishing to pry John, but would you summarise the ‘Medical’ please. I’m sure there are many of us who are a little apprehensive.

It is a private medical, so you have to pay. It took about an hour.

The doctor sat down and filled the form in from his records. He then checked my height and weight, sounded my chest, listened to my heart and checked joint movement.

I have reduced vision in one eye and he suggested I have my eyes tested at the optician before the medical to confirm the correct reading and to have a proper field of vision test.

I enclosed a copy of the eyesight test with the application. I presume DVLA contacted the optician as they did when I queried the eyesight problem with them last year. My eyes have had the problem from being a small child.

We gave him £100. The practice manager quoted £115 and BMA suggest up to £150. He was reluctant to take that amount but we have a good relationship with him.

He will be retired before my next renewal so we will have to cultivate another doctor.

I know you can get it cheaper but it can result in delays as they still have to contact your own doctor to confirm your medical history.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You can get your drivers medical much cheaper HERE

The medical form copy can be seen by clicking on the 'Download D4 Form' link at the top of the page.

I haven't used them yet but come August I will on my license renewal.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you had had angiopasty or heart problems, then its a stress test, walking on a treadmill for nine minutes wired up to a heart monitor.

If you cant do that due to breathing or walking problems, then its a gamma ray scan with the heart stressed by drugs.

Peter

Bedbug

Free Member
Nov 8, 2012
Funster No
License

Delighted for you ,my renewal has been nothing short of a nightmare ,so far I've been waiting for nearly6 weeks for mine, done all the required things spoken to 8 diff people got 8 diff answers and getting nowhere , seems to me they don't know which is up, just about sums everything that's wrong with this country I guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back