Licence and Braking Requirements for a Fifth Wheel (1 Viewer)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi All just to throw another spanner in the works, last year I contacted DVLA and VOSA by telephone about plating a 3500 yank truck, answer was sorry sir but you cannot plate an import, as this was over the phone I have no proof to back up this statement but it just gets more frustrating trying to deal with the powers that be. Has anyone else tried to plate an import?

Regards Ian

Well there we are then, if the above is correct you have nothing to worry about, if the police try to prosecute you for an unplated vehicle but the government wont let you plate it its game over!!! :thumb:

Stop worrying about it and get on with it, after all isnt that what RVing is all about, getting away from the rules and regulations of everyday life and enjoying the freedom??? :ROFLMAO:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Olley,

I understand what you are saying, and I quote

"Hi rob no idea about 5th wheel weights, but don't some of the bigger ones weigh around 5ton's? If so it seems likely they would impose around a ton or so onto the fifth wheel plate? Otherwise why would you need a dually ram pickup to tow them with."

The issue is really split in to two sections as I understand it. There will be a static force at work when a fifth wheel is hitched up to a pick up. That is basically the weight of the front of the 5'er pressing down on the towing hitch in the back of the pick up. The conduit for this transference of weight is the kingpin and plate, basically the point of contact between the two static items. So when selecting a truck to tow a fifth wheel consideration needs to be given to the weight/load exerted through the kingpin onto the pick up bed.
There will be 2 weights quoted on the pick up's specifications,
1) What the maximum load is
2)What is the gross Axle Weight.

Put simply these tell you
1)How much weight the springs and shock absorbers will take before they bend beyond repair or snap
2) What load can be taken by the Axle, springs, chassis etc before lasting damage/instability/danger occur.

Staying below these maxima means safe happy towing.

The next thing to consider is the total weight of what you are trying to pull, there is a limit as to what a Truck can pull, also what a truck can stop, and also what maximum weight can be towed without causing instability/safety fears and worries.

There is some confusion in this area as a 5'er is positioned differently to a 'normal' trailer in so much as the weight bearing point, aka Kingpin, is located slightly in front of the driven wheels, unlike a 'normal' trailer where the weight is attached via the hitch behind the driven wheels(in the case of A frame hitches.....some distance). That means that lb for lb a 5'er hitch arrangement can cope with more weight than a 'normal' trailer towing arrangement.

American pick up manufacturers produce specification sheets to assist in choosing the right pick up for the weight of thew 5'er to be towed.

Not yet asleep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Going back to your Dually Ram Pick Up, this is basically a super heavy duty derivative of an American pick up. Twin wheels on the back axle allow more weight to be loaded, strengthened frames to allow greater towing weights for both conventional and 5'er towing. Uprated springs, bigger more powerful engines, normally diesel etc etc......you get the idea.

Still awake :Smile::Smile::Smile: Then the trucks fall in to 3 main categories, 150/1500 then 250/2500 and finally 350/3500, and before anyone chips in I know there are 450/4500's but come on guys this is complex enough already :Eeek::Eeek:

A 350/3500 may be selected for a number of reasons, the two givens that will determine what size truck will be the pin weight and the towing capability. If you look at the specifications for the larger 5'ers then the kingpin weights are not as high as you would consider likely given the overall weight of the 5'er, mainly as the majority of the weight will be borne by the 5'ers own twin axle arrangement.

So to summarise

It may not be how big and heavy it is, it is more to do with where that weight is.

I, as ever am prepared to be shot down in flames.

Rob

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi All just to throw another spanner in the works, last year I contacted DVLA and VOSA by telephone about plating a 3500 yank truck, answer was sorry sir but you cannot plate an import, as this was over the phone I have no proof to back up this statement but it just gets more frustrating trying to deal with the powers that be. Has anyone else tried to plate an import?

Regards Ian

Hi Ian that was on another post on the same thread, as follows:

So my understanding of this after numerous positive conversations with this chap from VOSA is that I am OK to tow a semi-trailer of up to 12 metres provided that my Navara gets "plated & tested" within 13 months of it's first date of registration.

Quote:
I am getting my Navara "plated and tested" ASAP. This has involved getting a certificate of compliance from Nissan. I will post this to VOSA in order to get a plate and will have to have get an MOT from a LGV test station.

I understand that American pick-ups are a no-no if they are downrated to 3500 kgs in order to get an SVA test. The SVA test has a 3500 kg maximum. I suspect American trucks imported at older than 10 years don't need an SVA test so you could check if they can tow.
Unquote:

Apparently as he says you can't get an SVA for vehicles over 3500kg, but you need a vehicle over 3500kg to tow a trailer over 2.55 metres wide.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

IanRS

Free Member
Nov 6, 2008
Funster No
Hi Ian that was on another post on the same thread, as follows:

So my understanding of this after numerous positive conversations with this chap from VOSA is that I am OK to tow a semi-trailer of up to 12 metres provided that my Navara gets "plated & tested" within 13 months of it's first date of registration.

Quote:
I am getting my Navara "plated and tested" ASAP. This has involved getting a certificate of compliance from Nissan. I will post this to VOSA in order to get a plate and will have to have get an MOT from a LGV test station.

I understand that American pick-ups are a no-no if they are downrated to 3500 kgs in order to get an SVA test. The SVA test has a 3500 kg maximum. I suspect American trucks imported at older than 10 years don't need an SVA test so you could check if they can tow.
Unquote:

Apparently as he says you can't get an SVA for vehicles over 3500kg, but you need a vehicle over 3500kg to tow a trailer over 2.55 metres wide.

Olley

Hi Olley
The Nissan although an import comes into the country to UK spec and has full approval where as the yank trucks come in under the SVA umbrella, so the rules are different, to be able to enjoy a hobby and know you are legal in this country takes some doing. lol
Regards Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back