Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
There's one of these parked up where I store Hymer.............it looks like some works been started on it, but not its looking a little forlorn.......
Keep thinking about asking site owner, whats the story with it.

Great project. :)

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Much the same 60000 miles ( 100k Km) I hope to be on the road shortly as the MH we have will be up for sale next week . 1 last trip over Easter then hopefully it will be gone though I will be sorry to see it go . Great deal of pleasure has been had.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
You guys have my admiration but do you think your chassis extension needs a flitch plate to support it? (n)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
This project would be an ideal candidate for the Channel 4 "Amazing Spaces" programme. Wonder if the OP has thought of contacting them - assuming he's willing to have a bit of limelight amongst all that work.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What a fantastic project !! Loving it to say the least !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Keep the reports coming and the pics, well done looking good.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Good will keep watching

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
A few shots from the other side
16813790180_949541847b_k.jpg

The electric step was a real pain . On the left is a 3kw Diesel heater To the right the air over hydraulic cylinders for the brakes . Right where I needed the step was the battery tray. Lowering the battery tray gave just enough room .Down side is you have to take the bottom step off to remove the batteries ( 2 for 24v)
16815061069_5816b47ab3_k.jpg
Starting to get the primer on .It will stay in black primer until the summer and a good still day suitable for spraying . I will get some more interior shots shortly

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks great and I really like the colours and design of exterior.
Well done so far.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Looking good(y)

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
Here's one I built back in 2004/5 based on a 1986 Bedford pjk ex library bus. My kids still look back and said this was their favourite.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 156
  • motor home 026.jpg
    motor home 026.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 154
  • camper ebay 007.jpg
    camper ebay 007.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20070730_0269.JPG
    20070730_0269.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 156
  • motor home 032.jpg
    motor home 032.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Got the MOT Tax for December and on the Road for a shake down and adjustment .Won't be finished . Respay in the spring . Having driven it down the Devon lanes to the test centre it feels bigger then 8' x 30'
Also went over the weigh bridge . Very please under 7 Tonnes with the Quad bike on board .
Leisure Batteries 140Kg a full tank of fuel and water 300kg to add should still leave 2ookg for bits .

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
The weekend saw the first trip . Load of niggles which most have now been sorted.
1 Air getting in the fuel on the second tank . Tighten the pipework and that is cured but not before it left me stranded in a tunnel . I have never bled an engine so fast!!
2 Water not heating on gas Ok on electric . Turned out to be a dislodged wire to the switch.
3 Generator won't fire up . This is ongoing but it look like the pressure regulating valve on the gas bottles is faulty
4 Bath room light does not turn off on the switch . Does now I have wired it into the switch DOOO.
5 Driving light are pathetic . 2 Driving light and 4 spot light will be added .
6 Radio reception is rubbish. New amplified antenna ordered.

Driving is great . A little slow on the hills which 150 hp and 7.5 tonnes to pull is expected . Cruses at 60 no problem on the motorway.
the 2 x 240 leisure batteries are just man enough to cope for a day with out topping up. The inverter didn't even get warm with 3kw draw . Very pleased.
The bed is better than the on at home Result!!
Watching tv in the slideout with the heating blowing at my feet and a can in had . Bliss.
All in all successful
Next job levelling legs Awning and extra lights.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Great job you've done there.:xThumb:
Reading this i've just twigged who you are, how did you get on with the Oyster satellite set up you got off E-bay?

Paul

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Very well done indeed!! :)

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Great job you've done there.:xThumb:
Reading this i've just twigged who you are, how did you get on with the Oyster satellite set up you got off E-bay?

Paul
All up an running . The dish had a sizes motor and a bearing which had suffered water damage but as I had another dish to cannibalise it wasn't a problem . Main issue was mounting it . The roof on the bus is a thin skim of GRP so a steel frame to the edges of the bus was needed. This of course would only fit where I had already put cupboards in the way . Such is life.

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Are you going for a paint job like the one parked opposite us?

DSCN2048.JPG

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Should have left a few books in = MoT Exempt
G

OP
OP
seabreezesports

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
IMG_5554a.jpg
Well it's been a bit of time and a few 2/3/ night trips. Niggles a plenty I suppose that is the fun of self build using a lot of second hand bits.
Driving is good but noisy even with sound proofing under and over the engine cover and a thick rubber floor. Ok up to 45mph then progressively louder until cruising at 56mph .
Come to a hill and patience is needed which is only to be expected with 150hp lugging 7.5 tonnes with out trailer . Being on a wide lorry track it goes around corners with out rolling like a pig which was a problem with our A class .
Upside is the room . We love it . Slide out out and an evening on a proper settee with a glass and a big telly .Super chilled.
By luck a Carver heater was in an old caravan I bought for windows and bits. The thing is marvellous with a good pump the shower is better than home . Just got to make sure the mixer is about right other wise you get steam cleaned.
Niggles
Generator had an intermittent non start . Every time I could look at it perfect . This went on for days then I creped up on it and caught it non starting . Dirty terminal the the gas evaporator . Sorted. It isn’t used much other than for the microwave as everything else the 2 x 280 ah gells ( 5kw inverter) easily cope with . Driving round charges them.
1 levelling leg has sprung an oil leak . I thought it was just a seal job but it is an aluminium nut on the end of the ram which has a hair line crack. Struggling to get parts.
The slide out is setting down need the occasional adjustment but is working a treat.
Whilst in the build I added extra air tanks ( Base vehicle has air brakes) for an airline . Mighty glad I did when a tyre gained a nail . It meant I could get to a tyre fitter without a call out charge.. Missus fancied some posh deck chairs so I bought a blow up settee . Less than 10 seconds on the airline . How posh !!.
Satellite internet .As the wife and I fly paragliders getting a good forecast and airspace notifications is a must . Mobile phones wild camping just don't do it. With great trepidation and a lot of heart searching we invested in an Oyster system which can't be far off doubling the build cost!!. As it was replacing another Oyster system the fit was easy . Satellite internet set up problematic . Anthony at Oyster UK Fantastic . Knew his stuff and e mailed screen shots .
Satellite internet ( Beyond DSL ) the service provider Rubbish Technical department didn't know and had to send the case to the supervisor who never contacts anyone . Sorted now .
Disappointed with the speed 3g seem faster in good signal area . Availability spot on very pleased.
Passenger side cab window . It leaks . Where it leaks I don't know . Will it leak with a hose pipe when I am looking for it . Never . In fact it wont leak whenever I am near it . turn my back and wet trim . This window and me are having words !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back